Pregnancy,New home, job search Darmstadt/Frankfurt

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, thank you for reading this post where I write most of the doubts I have about life near Frankfurt.

Story short,I moved with my wife from Brussels to Darmstadt because she got a new job in a company in Darmstadt. She is also now on her 3rd month pregnancy. I am european but she is not but has had a work permit for around 10 years now. 

We are living in a temporary apartment until the end of the year. Which parts of Darmstadt or Frankfurt would be best to seek an apartment for around 1000 euros per month? near public transport. Which websites or immobiliaries should we use? We are currently using an agent from immobilietscout24 but I want to expand my search for the ideal place.

My wife will deliver our kid around June. How does it work with subsidies and materny leave since we just moved here? She told me she thinks we won't have right to any of those until after the first year of residing in Germany, is that true?

She is the only one currently working and I am thinking about starting a doctorate or finding a job. I have a Masters in European Politics and I'm pretty good with management. My German is around B1-B2 level. Which places in or around Darmstadt and Frankfurt would be best to seek a doctorate and/or a job related to my field or at least compatible?

Thank you for your patience reading this long post. Looking forward to see your replies.

3 hours ago, CesarV said:

How does it work with subsidies and materny leave since we just moved here? She told me she thinks we won't have right to any of those until after the first year of residing in Germany, is that true?

No. E. g. you´d be entitled to Kindergeld (child grant) or free health insurance for your child provided your wife opts for public insurance. Same would be true for you as long as you don´t have an income above (I think) € 425.- . Not sure about Elterngeld as there was no such thing when my kids were born more than 20 years ago.

On 11/4/2017, 5:51:29, jeba said:

No. E. g. you´d be entitled to Kindergeld (child grant) or free health insurance for your child provided your wife opts for public insurance. Same would be true for you as long as you don´t have an income above (I think) € 425.- . Not sure about Elterngeld as there was no such thing when my kids were born more than 20 years ago.

Can you tell me your opinion on the other questions I asked please?

I can recommend Darmstadt Griesheim. The prices are good compared to other parts of Darmstadt and there is a tram that links you directly to the main town. It also passes the Darmstadt main train station. Frankfurt tends to be more expensive than Darmstadt.

A few search engines for you to find a flat/house.

https://www.immobilienscout24.de/

https://www.immowelt.de/

If you contact your local arbeitsamt once you have chosen a place to live they will help you with all the forms for kindergeld. Also the tax office (Finanzamt) can help you add your child to your tax card and help with your enquiry regarding elterngeld. Each town is responsible, so if you choose to live in Frankfurt you need to contact Arbeitsamt/Finanzamt Frankfurt and if Darmstadt then Arbeitsamt/Finanzamt Darmstadt. They both have websites and some of the formulae can even be downloaded online. I have no idea how long you have to be residing here but I am sure that they can help you if you call them.

Good luck. :)

2 hours ago, CesarV said:

Can you tell me your opinion on the other questions I asked please?

Sorry, but I have to leave that to others who are in the know.