Family reunification visa info

8 posts in this topic

Hey there,

I have been looking everywhere online to find more information and it hasn’t been going that well so thought I’d reach out to someone who might know. I recently got married. My husband is german and a full time student who sustains himself via loans. I’m American and I quit my job in April to travel around Europe (Germany, U.K., and back to Germany) . Since I have been back in Berlin at the beginning of this month I’ve been looking for work but apparently I can’t get a job without a work permit and I can’t get a work visa/permit without a job offer. 

Im trying to go for a family reunification visa but will I be denied since both of us technically aren’t bringing in income? I’m sustaining myself off savings but one of the necessary documents to bring is showing an income for the household by way of bank statements. Could I still get a visa even with my predicament? I plan on working Asap once I get the work permit. Have you been through this or know an immigration lawyer who could help me out with possible reasons for denial? 

If you are in a field which is appropriate for freelancing, it might be one way to avoid the work permit delay. 

It may no longer be correct, but several years ago, the US was on a preferred list of countries along with 5-6 others allowing its citizens freelance in Germany without a waiting period.  

Good luck. 

I may be wrong, but I don't think income or occupational status are criteria for granting visas to spouses of German nationals (in contrast to the UK, for example).

You won't get an NE right away, but as an American married to a German, getting a work/residence visa should be relatively pro forma. The only potential hitch is providing acceptable documentation of your marriage (recognized marriage license with the proper translations/apostiles/etc.) if you got married outside of Germany.

Welcome (belatedly) to Berlin!

You are probably right.  

My wife was not allowed to work immediately when she joined me in Germany, but it is probably different for Germans.     We received a Familienzusammenführungs Visa as well.   

In the past, there were some rules which required the Arbeitsamt to check if an open position could be filled by a citizen or permanent resident rather than someone trying to get a work permit for that particular position.   I have some doubts that the Arbeitsamt did any serious checking, but to avoid delays, freelancing might be a way in if being married to a German is not sufficient to get a work permit.

In regards to freelancing that’s not an option for me as I don’t work in tech. I have ten years experience in administrative work - so I need a regular job. Considering pursuing a remote American job just so I can get some money coming in but I have a feeling that will go even further against me as me being in Germany won’t grant any additional money coming towards the government via taxes from me. 

How's your German? You may find it difficult finding an admin job in a German work environment without at least C1.

On the other hand, many local startups and tech firms have English as their working language, so you might have a chance there.

If your German isn't up to scratch, it might be better for your husband to deal with the German bureaucracy - at least to clarify what you need to do.

Hello, I am following on a similar topic. My wife is German living in Frankfurt and I am Panamanian living in the US. I applied a month and a half ago for the family visa so I can move to Frankfurt. I have contacted the embassy in the US about the status of my visa and there response is very vague without assurance that I will get an answer from them even by the 3rd month, which is the timeframe they initially provide.

Does anyone knows how long it takes on average to get the visa? I have already had prospect employers contacting me, but the visa situation is holding everything.

On 17.5.2018, 04:38:55, Gerar said:

I have contacted the embassy in the US about the status of my visa and there response is very vague without assurance that I will get an answer from them even by the 3rd month, which is the timeframe they initially provide.

They usually don't bother providing much info before 3 months have passed.

On 17.5.2018, 04:38:55, Gerar said:

Does anyone knows how long it takes on average to get the visa?

The "average time frame" for visas is irrelevant; some people receive it in days for others it take months.

You can contact the Bundesverwaltungsamt for a status update.

http://www.bva.bund.de/DE/Themen/Sicherheit/Visaangelegenheiten/visaangelegenheiten-node.html

Have you also submitted you A1 German certificate?