NYC girl looking for a badass friend in Munich

123 posts in this topic

'The London Suede'

I'm curious - where does the other Suede come from I wonder.

420 friendly? Hotboxing...?
I must be getting old... Am I going to get in to trouble with our firewall people if I look those up at work?

On a serious note, I wish the OP luck but try to keep in mind, none of us (or most of us) are not from round here.

Every single little thing you say a future friend 'has' to have, reduces the (small) number of people you have to choose from.

To compare it with mine, like to go out and drink beer. I have German friends, maybe the lack of potential candidates is not because of the locals or those in the area.

I would advise anyone looking for a group of friend to relax a little. This isn't back home, people are different, try to stay open and keep in mind that even if the perfect candidate is out there, they may have other priorities.

Due to work/family/sleep pressure I only get out about once a week but I still know locals and English speakers who I can meet up with (when I have the time).

Don't hamstring yourself by turning it in to a job description. 

I tend to concentrate on what I do not like and stay open to the people that do not fit my 'don't like' list.

This thread reminds me a little bit about the time when Andrea87 was hounded out of TT by the bored housewife's of Toytown.

26 minutes ago, solomon_arthur said:

To the haters, you all need to get a life. Clearly you all have nothing better to do than shit all over a person who's making an effort to connect with like-minded individuals.

First, I'd like to congratulate you for putting yourself and your thoughts out there as an introvert. You make a lot of good points. Keep it up.

Just be sure you know the difference between "haters" and those of us who just take the piss occasionally to lighten things up and get a laugh or two. 

Even you have to admit that is a pretty long list of qualifications just to find people with which to hang out.

1 hour ago, solomon_arthur said:

anyone saying „just go hang out there and you'll make gay friends or whatever,“ clearly has no idea what they're talking about.

I'm sorry for offending you, but I was offering this suggestion to someone who claims they can't find "gay friendly" people in munich.  

What advice do you have?  I noticed you didn't really have any.  You're just complaining.  And you throw around the word "haters"?  Cheeky!

1 hour ago, cb6dba said:

Every single little thing you say a future friend 'has' to have, reduces the (small) number of people you have to choose from.

Precisely.  I would be happy having a friend like this, but the "requirement" to join in with hotboxing or similar is a complete turnoff.  Finding friends is not like ordering a pizza.  Sometimes, you have to compromise and save your anchovies for another time, or share them with a different friend.

everything cb6dba said is spot on

Toytown is the worst place ever to look for friends. Perhaps you figured that out by reading 3 pages of hostile comments.

In my times people were taught that minding other people's business is not polite.

But these times are gone. People feel lonely, and in their loneliness they tease other people online. This forum has become a new Oma standing at the balcony all day and noting down the number plates of all cars passing. Contributing useless bullshit to all threads is an online replacement for this practice.

Go back to Okcupid, OP. If that doesn't work, try Jaumo or Tinder, although these ones are rather for dating/hook-up.

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Toytown is the worst place ever to look for friends. Perhaps you figured that out by reading 3 pages of hostile comments.

In my times people were taught that minding other people's business is not polite.

But these times are gone. People feel lonely, and in their loneliness they tease other people online. This forum has become a new Oma standing at the balcony all day and noting down the number plates of all cars passing. Contributing useless bullshit to all threads is an online replacement for this practice.

Go back to Okcupid, OP. If that doesn't work, try Jaumo or Tinder, although these ones are rather for dating/hook-up.

Pot-Kettle?

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Sad isnt it? Next week I am moving to a new city and will be looking for new friends but I would never consider opening up to attack by asking here. I have accepted it is the culture he and its kind of fun at times but it is also a shame when you actually do feel lonely. Ah well - there are other ways to make friends.

On 10/27/2017, 4:06:27, whosthatgirlnyc said:

this selection speaks volumes about my personality)

It sure does. Do you know the German expression: der Krug get solange zum Brunnen bis er bricht.

Hopefully your Krug is from durable plastic so you can carry on for a while.

But let me tell you young lady, life is over much to fast.

17 hours ago, solomon_arthur said:

Ugh, the majority of the replies on this thread are exactly why I spend most of my time lurking on this website rather than actually posting anything.

Karen, you sound like a cool person, and have respectfully and entertainingly described what you're looking for, so I'm not sure why people are confused about that. I'm sorry that you have had to see firsthand the ugly truth about Toytown Germany, which is that it is composed almost entirely of judgmental pricks who have nothing better to do than try to make you feel like shit about being your authentic self...

To the haters, you all need to get a life. Clearly you all have nothing better to do than shit all over a person who's making an effort to connect with like-minded individuals....

If you read her post and weren't interested, just keep moving along and take your condescension with you.

I've just reread this thread from the start (I read it before bu as I am obviously not targeted) I didn't respond and have not found a single hateful remark. People were questioning what she really was looking for and no more than that. Your skin must be extremely thin if you interpret that as "hate".

16 hours ago, Atrag said:

Sad isnt it? Next week I am moving to a new city and will be looking for new friends but I would never consider opening up to attack by asking here.

I wouldn't be deterred. Just because the OP got some unintended feedback to her post, doesn't mean she didn't get any PMs from people genuinely interested in meeting up.

This IS the "Meetups in Munich" forum after all... once this thread drops off the top of the active threads list it will only attract people who are looking for meetups in Munich.

18 hours ago, NoBullJim said:

Pot-Kettle?

Kettle, but electric. As I learned in some article about USA, almost no one has this device, tea is cooked in a coffee machine.

Here in Europe electric kettles are quite widespread, for this reason a kettle can call a pot black, but the pot can't do this to the kettle :P

3 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

As I learned in some article about USA, almost no one has this device, tea is cooked in a coffee machine.

Fake news.

Just now, fraufruit said:

Fake news.

I stand corrected because I only have experience with hotels which is not an experience. If it helps, the author was American from Florida who moved to Germany and was amazed by that.

I used to have an immersion heater when I lived in Germany, ages ago.  Now I have a $12 plastic 3-cup kettle.  Great big beautiful electric kettles aren't common in the US.

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Who knows what those Florida people do? :P

I don't think they are finished cleaning up from the last storm.

Probably waiting for the next storm.

21 hours ago, yourkeau said:

It still is. But if you throw the net to catch the fish you must be prepared to get sometime the unexpected catch.

it just pains me when I see the people hurting them self and I have to bite my lips because it is not my business.