Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Travel to UK with almost expired EU passport

29 posts in this topic

In another thread, I read that, for entry to the UK, at least six months must remain, in passport, before expiry date. Does this apply also for EU passports?

We've messed up right royally. Made plans to go to blighty on 1 November, go to a friend's big birthday party, the wife takes our daughter to see Hair in London then drive to Aberdeen to visit wife's sister and visit friends along the way. Just realised passport expires 1 November.

I was hoping that we'd go through the process of getting a new passport when in the UK.

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/before-you-leave-for-the-uk

But, you're British? You're fine. If someone in the family is not, then they can get a temporary travel document from the Bundespolizei at FRA.

Thanks, will look into that.

1 hour ago, robinson100 said:

Why not call the British Consulate and ask?

Already called but the dear consulate will not answer questions on entry requirements, instead they point to a .gov website with FAQs that point to what I know already.

There is an answer on Stack Exchange that suggests carrying a printout of Paragraph 12 of the immigration rules with you. https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/43877/can-i-enter-the-uk-on-my-expired-british-passport-if-i-have-a-valid-south-africa. If it's valid until 1/11 though and you are entering on that day, I think it is still normally usable anyway.

I've not seen it disputed that British Citizens always have the right to re-enter, whether they are holding a passport or not, but they can give you hassle for it.

You should call now to make an appointment at the passport office if you need to get the passport done quickly though. You can book up to 2 weeks in advance for the 4hr processing.

Wait, so ALL of you are UK citizens? The only worry is whether you'll get your passports renewed in time for your return, but entering with passports VALID ON THE DATE OF ENTRY is not an issue, and I mean this mostly regarding the airline allowing you board the flight. You can be present in the UK with invalid passports, i.e. NO passports at all, and likely enter on expired passports if you make it to the border.

That link applies to NON-CITIZENS.

1 minute ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Wait, so ALL of you are UK citizens? The only worry is whether you'll get your passports renewed in time for your return, but entering with passports VALID ON THE DATE OF ENTRY is not an issue, and I mean this mostly regarding the airline allowing you board the flight. You can be present in the UK with invalid passports, i.e. NO passports at all, and likely enter on expired passports if you make it to the border.

UK passport expiry date seems to mean it is valid up to midnight the day before ...

I would think if you got as far as a UK Border official, (say at a French Port, or Eurostar in Belgium or France for example) it would not be a problem.  But waving Paragraph 12 and an expired passport at an airline checkin  might not work.  Perhaps for BA (I know someone Irish who managed to wangle there way on to a AerLingus flight, to Ireland by gift of the gab after leaving passport at home in Germany).   Airline rules say an expired passport is not valid means of identification.  

The uncertainty factor is not good.  Any chance of going a day earlier?

15 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

UK passport expiry date seems to mean it is valid up to midnight the day before ...

Really? I've never known a date of expiry to indicate an already expired thing on that date.

Fine, then get the temporary travel document from the BP.

13 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Really? I've never known a date of expiry to indicate an already expired thing on that date.

I am only assuming this as after gooooogling repeatedly the only hits I got were related to how it was okay to travel right up until the day before a UK passport expires.  If varies from country to country.

A British passport says for example vallid from 20 January 2007 expires 20 January 2017.  Which is a ten years and one day.

Irish equivalent says valid from 20 January 2007 expires 19 January 2017 which is ten years.

1 hour ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Yah that's a strange date to expire on, but if it's written there it has to be considered valid, methinks.

Why on earth this does not seem to be mentioned in any of the UK passport stuff is weird.  I would guess you could get away with it, but if the risk is a screwed up holiday ...

Collins UK definition of expiry date is

the date at which a document, agreement, etc, has no legal force or can no longer be used

MW US definition of expiration date

the date after which something (such as a credit card) is no longer in effect

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

Airline rules say an expired passport is not valid means of identification. 

But they "may" not notice (but whether you want to rely on that...).

Going back a handful of years me wife & I were driving to Hamburg airport one evening to check the luggage in for our early flights (with 2 teenage kids) to Ibiza next day.

One way to airport I said to wife "take a look at your Ausweis" - "oops - expired a few weeks ago".  I sez, well you always have your passport (from a previous trip to US).  At Air Berlin desk they didnt notice her expired Ausweis & all was OK.  We get home & find her US passport expired same day as Ausweis.

To cut long story short they didn't ask at boarding, there is of course no immigration control & at the hotel they didn't notice either.

5 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

You all went to check in the day before? What's that? I don't understand.

Some airlines at some German airports alllow you to check in luggage the evening before.

For example, Lufthansa allow you to do this for any flight the next day; AB used to provide this for flights up to midday next day.

LH provide this service for free; other airlines charge/charged.

When we used to go to Ibiza for Summer hols we usually had a 6am flight.  Thus we only needed to get to airport abot 45 minutes beforehand, go straight to security & walk to gate & onto plane.  Much better than having to be there 2+ hours in advance.

2 hours ago, snowingagain said:

I would think if you got as far as a UK Border official, (say at a French Port, or Eurostar in Belgium or France for example) it would not be a problem.  But waving Paragraph 12 and an expired passport at an airline checkin  might not work.  Perhaps for BA (I know someone Irish who managed to wangle there way on to a AerLingus flight, to Ireland by gift of the gab after leaving passport at home in Germany).   Airline rules say an expired passport is not valid means of identification.  

The uncertainty factor is not good.  Any chance of going a day earlier?

I think a little more info is necessary.  I have a British passport and I'm OK (sounds like the lumberjack song).  The wife has the almost expired Irish passport.  We drive and take the ferry across from Dunkirk.  I want to make sure of all my facts before I drive for six hours.

If she has a European Union ID-card and travel inside the union, there should be no problem. It's as good as a passport.