Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What is couchsurfing?

30 posts in this topic

I have participated as a host in the US. The important thing here is that there is some sort of cultural or social interaction between guest and host. In the US, Germans have a reputation of not interacting with there host, and just treating it a  free place to stay.

As a host, you can except of refuse any request. Everyone has a profile page with reviews from people who have hosted them and visa versa, and there is a verification process to help weed out phonies.

My experiences have been all positive, but I tend to be selective about who I will accept. I have had a former World Champion Free-style Frisbee performer who was traveling to various elementary school for shows, a childrens' book author who was also traveling to different schools. A university music professor who was in town for an interview at a local College

1 hour ago, Cherf Monty said:

Germans have a reputation of not interacting with there host, and just treating it a  free place to stay.

that's strange.  My German surfers were pretty great, aside from one of them who still wasn't that bad.   Most of the freeloaders I had were americans from other parts of the country.

Hipsters tended to be the worst.  

but really the freeloading thing started towards the end of my participation in the project.  2008-2010 I had no problems, then it went downhill.

47 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

that's strange.  My German surfers were pretty great, aside from one of them who still wasn't that bad.   Most of the freeloaders I had were americans from other parts of the country.

Hipsters tended to be the worst.  

but really the freeloading thing started towards the end of my participation in the project.  2008-2010 I had no problems, then it went downhill.

I had no personal experience with this. I was just relating some of the comments I've read on Couchsurfings message boards

18 hours ago, Thormein said:

I couldn't understand it.

Then it's not your cup of tea.

Not mine either, but I know people who are up for it. Some of them just have limited budget but want to travel (combine CS with hitchhiking), the others are "mit beiden Beinen im Leben stehen" very well financially, but are willing to learn new people. The hosts are usually either students or middle class families who have had a good hitchhiking-hippie experience in their youth.

Please do not write pile of horse shit about "ladies are for free", "only rapists do that" etc. In civilized countries there is police where you can file charges in case of any crime (this includes disappearance of your teddy bear), they are very happy to arrest someone they do not need to search for.

There are additional communities similar to couchsurfing tailored to cyclists (for those who cycle through many countries), motorbikers or mountaineers.

49 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Please do not write pile of horse shit about "ladies are for free", "only rapists do that" etc. In civilized countries there is police where you can file charges in case of any crime (this includes disappearance of your teddy bear), they are very happy to arrest someone they do not need to search for.

I did not write that. People did.

36 minutes ago, Thormein said:

I did not write that. People did.

Have you actually visited your own country? Some of my friends did travel Turkey far from any tourist places, and there are many villages where you are offered food and a place to sleep automatically, just because you are a guest, no questions asked (well questions cannot be asked anyway because friends do not speak Turkish). And this is amazing!

In Europe such traditional and hospitable communities do not exist any more. CS is just a revival of that tradition.

23 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Have you actually visited your own country? Some of my friends did travel Turkey far from any tourist places, and there are many villages where you are offered food and a place to sleep automatically, just because you are a guest, no questions asked (well questions cannot be asked anyway because friends do not speak Turkish). And this is amazing!

In Europe such traditional and hospitable communities do not exist any more. CS is just a revival of that tradition.

No yourkeau. It used to be like that but not anymore. Villages have almost become extinct and agriculture is mostly gone.

We had a big boom of urbanization. 

5 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Fact is that some women have been raped while couch surfing, possibly some men as well.  Police is all well and good but once you've been raped, you can't really undo that by calling the police.