Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Question about passports/customs/travelling.

3 posts in this topic

It is probably a simple question but i don't have any experience about that anyway.

How do passport checks happen for people from US/UK/Canada/EU/Australia...etc.so called "West"ern sphere :D 

For instance let's say an American i believe can travel to EU visa free right? And in the passport check do officers ask you any questions? Like your return ticket, accommodation, purpose and how long...etc. or no questions asked? Just like travelling within your country?

Or a Hungarian travelling to Germany or UK is it the same no questions asked? And do these people are able to stay in EU or US or Australia indefinitely?

Thanks.

As for visas, if required one must have them.

As for questions on immigration control, some ask and some don't. They are trained to see if people are nervous, hence the questions. I, personally have never been asked about accommodation. 

36 minutes ago, Thormein said:

And do these people are able to stay in EU or US or Australia indefinitely?

huh?  Aside from Schengen agreements that allow people to move from one country to another within schengen without much kerfuffel, I don't know of any nations that offer unlimited stays to foreigners.  

Schengen visits for US/Canadian/etc - those that don't require a visa - are still capped at 90 out of 180 days.  Even if you travel from another schengen nation to germany, you're supposed to register as resident (and get health insurance here) if you're going to be staying continuously for longer than 90 days.

US has long required pre-visit paperwork and fingerprints on arrival (and soon will be requiring full visas afaik) even for eu/Schengen citizens.   In general border control is also more intensive for foreigners entering the US than US to Germany, for example.  Every EU couch surfer I ever hosted in boston had interesting stories about border control (one was stuck for 2 hours as when they asked her occupation, she said "Freelancer" - oho, no you cannot work in the US as a visitor, freelancers are highly suspect so they really grilled her). 

Bottom line: you should look into your specific needs once you know what they are.  There is no simple or single answer.