Nightmare Tenants, Insurance, The law

48 posts in this topic

To clear up something for myself, the term 'professional tenant' is a person who makes a living out of living places and not paying rent (or just the minimum to avoid eviction)?

3 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

To clear up something for myself, the term 'professional tenant' is a person who makes a living out of living places and not paying rent (or just the minimum to avoid eviction)?

The Germans call them "Mietnomaden". I think a better English term is "professional deadbeats".

Just now, El Jeffo said:

The Germans call them "Mietnomaden". I think a better English term is "professional deadbeats".

I think they are called Mietzicken over here in the east.

I guess it makes more sense to buy a place with someone already renting.

I that case, what is to stop the current owner just lying and saying 'yeah, great tenants'..?

"what is to stop the current owner just lying and saying 'yeah, great tenants'..?"

nothing at all :/  the only "bad" tenants I had were a similar case, where their existing landlord was less than truthful with is reference, I can only suspect as he wanted to get rid of them.  After that, if applicants could not offer TWO landlords (current and prior) as reference, I was not inclined to choose them.  I felt a lot better about that.  Harder for that to work in Germany, though, as people stay put a lot longer and landlords have few options to force them, out from their side.

but even my bad tenants were nothing like this - the did pay, on time even, but were royal pains in the ass.  just entitled jerks.

1 hour ago, jakurrpa said:

lisa13, we have found out that these tenants owe approx. €60.000 around Germany. They are con "artists" and when they get caught they usually run. this time they didn´t run far enough. I don´t understand why they are given more chances though. we know she left her last job just as an investigation team went in to look into theft, then she gets a better job !! They also now rent a beautiful house in a lovely village and we hear they are causing problems there too. part of their case against us is that we gave their new landlord a true financial reference and chose not to give a personal one. they owe us €5.000 in rent and bills on top of all the damage caused

that is completely crazy!  what the hell good is schufa if it doesn't reveal problems like this, too?  In spite of the problems with US credit reports (oh lord let's not get into that), if there is any collection action against a person, it shows up on the report.  Debt collectors don't have to be part of a special network to report deadbeats, as seems to be the case with schufa.

I don't think you have too much to worry about, defending yourself about the honest financial reference, as you can (presumably) prove it's accurate, and not "defamatory".   In any case, I think this is enough to leave anyone feeling depressed.  It's just so horrifying.

hang in there.  many virtual hugs for you

@jakurrpa 

we have found out that these tenants owe approx. €60.000 around Germany.

I'm curious how you got this information and if it is possible to get it BEFORE renting to someone.

Unbelievable!

1 hour ago, cb6dba said:

I think they are called Mietzicken over here in the east.

Probably "Mietzecken", actually. I'd avoid referring to people as "Zecken", however; it's actual NS-speak.

Not surprised that you hear it in your neck of the woods, though.

50 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Sorry, I copied from your quote. Let me see if I can fix it.

Ta da!

oh I don't mind, more concerned that the OP missed the reference.  no worries but damn, you are a quote system master! (or mistress? :) )

El Jeffo, Thank you. we do try and stay strong but this has been our life now day in and day out for 8 months. my husband who was semi retired has just left for his night shift that he´s had to take on. we see less of each other now than we did when he was serving in the military. Right now a judge is deciding if what they did was malicious. They cut off rain water down pipes and blocked drains with concrete. they half pulled down a veranda. they turned off the toilet flush and filled it with their waste and then told us about it. that's just part of a long list. I personally do not see what there is to decide. Right at the last minute they came up with a new story and now we are back at the start. we decided not to let them get away with this. we know that we are not the first and will not be the last. someone has to stand up to these bullys , I just didn´t realise that the law was on their side

18056687_1631999296830110_6589856748847066939_n.jpg

2 hours ago, jakurrpa said:

SpiderPig, i didn´t know we could get help with the dogs. I am glad though you didn´t suggest we get rid of them. they are the only ones giving my life some worth at the moment. They also make me feel safe as they will bark if someone gets over the fence. they are innocent so i am happy to shop for their food before my own...

So sorry for your plight. There's a Tiertafel in Walsrode http://www.dooggs.de/adresse/tiertafel/29664/walsrode/tiertafel-walsrode but apparently only low-income earners, pensioners with low rent, HarzIV recipients and homeless people are eligible. But it wouldn't harm to ask. 

when we tried to make an appointment with a handwerker to look at some of the problems they claimed they had with the house we got this reply - Finger weg von meinem grundstueck. that was a polite message

Tim Hortons Man - obviously we did a lot of things wrong. we acted like human beings and way too trusting. our solicitor did the checks but nothing came up. however we now know they have debts in several names. They came from other side of Germany and arrived 2 weeks early at 2am so my husband went to meet them. my husband was a very trusting person always willing to help and give benefit of doubt. not now. so its 2am, the children are in tears, frau tenant is in tears, they have no rent, no deposit and no references and my caring husband let them into the house and said all could be sorted the next day.

From day one we always had to chase the rent and when it was not paid we had herr tenant at our home in tears. this really upset my husband but we held firm and they were evicted. The law allows a reprieve and they grabbed it. over 2 years later we are still in this nightmare. The law states I have to prove she is harassing me but I can not photograph or video their actions unless I tell them I am doing so. we can use their messages but we have to keep them on our phones. we have nearly 3 years of their messages on our phones. One thing frau tenant enjoys doing is chasing me around in her car. she drives very close to my bumper and gestures at me. If ever I have to brake suddenly she´ll end up in the back of my car. If she sees me in the street she´ll spit at me. I just look straight ahead as if she is nothing. we are insured for this sort of thing and I find all this so hard to understand. I didn´t realise it could take years to sort out

3 minutes ago, jakurrpa said:

so its 2am, the children are in tears, frau tenant is in tears, they have no rent, no deposit and no references and my caring husband let them into the house and said all could be sorted the next day.

then when exactly did the solicitor do the checks? 

no references?  no money?

no freaking way!!!

we did the checks before they came and again after they´d been evicted. part of their reprieve was a clear check. they stated they would arrive with references and money. they claimed the references had been lost in the post. Obviously anything else we´d been sent was a lie. we knew nothing about their debts until this year when a bailiff came to our door about them. most of the debts are inkasso which is not shown. I think in the past landlords have been so happy just to get rid of them that they just took the loss. To be honest if we´d known what we had to go through and for how long it would have been tempting to just write off all the money lost. however people like these need to be stopped. How they have 2 bailiffs chasing them and nothing is found in a search, I do not know. Frau tenant is one of these people who appear very open and friendly. she is in reality very devious and she thinks she has been very clever. she thinks she has won which is why she does what she does to me. when they msg us it starts with -  Du kleines a_ loch.  obviously we ignore all of these and send them to our solicitor. what is more disturbing was that they had started making friends with our facebook friends even before we agreed to let to them. this included my chidren. even now she still        hassles my friends

Thank you for you r advice. we are not eligible for any help. my doctor was too busy to listen and our solicitor just says the problem is that the ex tenants just say they did not cause the damage and refuse to answer to the judge. they have been given more time.

we have lost our savings. we can not sell our house nor can we afford to do any more repairs. 

if we sell or give up the house there is no case to answer so we are being forced to give up our home. we can´t sell that either as we´ve only had it for 3 years so we´ll have to rent it out.

my husband is working all hours on different shifts which is making him ill.

these people have destroyed our lives. everything we have spent all of our lives working for has gone. we´ve never had debt apart from the mortgages. we´ve never had benefits or charity. everything we have or had we have worked and saved for. these people can just take it away and are being allowed to do this but on top of this take great delight in making our lives a misery.

even walking my dogs have become a nightmare as they sit out side our home or follow us.

if we photograph them or video them without permission we are in the wrong. there fore there is never any proof of what they are doing

the dogs were the only thing keeping me going. the only reason for getting up. if we are homeless it is not fair to keep them.       obviously I shall sell my car first but then that isolates me even more. I can´t even get to the doctors or the shop.

the ex tenants want to take our house from us. she says she wants to spit on my grave. i´m too tired to fight her

I thought that I would let everyone know the final outcome of this 4 year saga.

The tenants produced a forged document that stated we had agreed to pay their oil, water, INSURANCE !!! TV !!!! INTERNET !!!!!

After this the judge decided to have us all in court.

in the meantime I was run down while walking my dogs. no injuries and no witnesses that wanted to be heard. I was also driven at aggressively while bringing my friend home from hospital. Sadly she had just found out that she had a brain tumour so I refused to use her as a witness.

Then all my accounts were hacked. facebook, emails, etc etc. I suspect she is on here using an email address of mine. I've closed the email account.

The tenants tried to make a 5th counter claim. the judge was not interested. the time to put in claims was long gone.

In court the judge asked if we would all sit around a table and talk things through. 

we said yes, they said no way.

the judge made his decision.

we were given some money straight away and in a month we will hear what the final award will be.

our solicitor asked that all the harassment now stop.

the tenants sneered and then announced that we had threatened to hurt them unless they paid us money and produced a crime number.

THIS WAS AN INSURANCE CLAIM. we were never going to get money from them. Anyway the solicitor is looking into it. We certainly have not been asked about this claim.

I don´t think for a moment that this is the end. they have been harassing us for 4 years and I don´t think they will stop now.

we sold the house to a lovely family after spending a year stripping it and doing it up.

My Husband has ended up on blood pressure tablets and I now have a life changing illness which is being treated. This illness was brought on by stress

We have decided to leave Germany next year. 

We have a lot of German friends but there are a lot of people who could have come forward and stopped all this but decided they didn´t want to be involved. Like the woman who saw me knocked down and walked away. Like the man who saw our fence being kicked down for a 4th time. The woman who saw me being spat at. 

We do not intend to spend the rest of our lives watching out for poison in the garden or paint being thrown onto our car or         Germanic signs being painted on our house.

I saw this through, not for the money, we are not going to make on this at all, but to put a stop to people who think that they can take someones property and destroy it.

Its a sad state when "you filthy brits" stand up to con artists in an adopted country and to get very little help from the local residents.

Our solicitor is brilliant as is our insurance agent who was the first person back into the house and came to court prepared to be a witness. We have nothing but thanks and praise for them and also for the friends who stuck by us and supported us.

Thank you also for all the support given on here X

You should sell your story to the Bild-Zeitung. It might enable you to recoup some of your losses and get some closure.

Best of luck to you.

interesting thought. let us see if they intend to carry this on. They have no insurance and now have huge legal fees after presenting 5 counter claims and getting their solicitor to pay an english speaking courier rather than sending letters straight to our legal people. ( me being a stupid english). They want 17.000 from us .

However this is a small town and news travels fast. maybe they´ll do a runner.

The laws need to change to protect landlords a little more.

Obviously tenants must be protected but we were trampled on for 4 years. The law helped them.

Our priority is to regain our health and sanity. Right now I feel weary and tearful and still wary