HMRC tax return - can we do it online even if we are resident in Germany?

53 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Gambatte said:

Wait a sec, they are not saying you can do it online, arent they?

Plus... your phone has a UK or a DE number?

It has a DE number and all my mail also is D -- so they know. January 31st is the deadline only for online submissions. Paper submissions have to be in end October.

9 hours ago, Gambatte said:

Wait a sec, they are not saying you can do it online, arent they?

Plus... your phone has a UK or a DE number?

You can apply for online assessment from abroad, as being abroad does not necessarily mean you are not a UK rersident.  Handy for those escaping the UKs winter gloom in places like Mustique.  So your foreign contact details are not a hindrance.

I would guess that once you have successfully gone through the rigmarole of applying for an online account the system allows you to continue to use it wherever you are.

Perhaps the online form is only desgned for UK residents and asks different questions, and that is why it is unsuitable?  

Hi all,

an old topic but I want to complete my self assessment for 2019-2020 and again read that if you are non-resident you have to purchase 3rd party software.

No I have done all on my tax returns for the last 10+ years on the HMRC online page for my rental income. I never owe anything but still need to file a return.

So I suppose I will just keep doing it on the HMRC page if I can, not sure this will cause me a problem in the future but I never owe anything so I suppose not??!!

Regards

I too have always done it online, in January. It's never been a problem. I do not have 3rd party software. I do it via the HMRC gov.uk site, through Government Gateway. If you're not yet registered you might have to prove identity.

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/sign-in/prove-identity

edited to add: I see I have already replied to this topic above. so, doppelt-gemoppelt.
This year I did it from Ireland. They have me home address in Ireland so it's not a secret.

From HMRC website:

You cannot use HMRC’s online services to tell them about your income if you’re non-resident. Instead, you need to:

• send your tax return by post
  • use commercial software
  • get help from a professional, like an accountant

Fill in the ‘residence’ section (form SA109 if you’re sending it by post) to tell HMRC you’re non-resident. Fill in any sections relating to your type of income.

If you are non-resident in the UK, you must complete form SA109, which is not available in HMRC's online services.

If you live outside the UK but remain resident in the UK for tax purposes, this doesn't apply, but I suspect that there are very few such cases.

I'm non-resident and I've been doing it online for years.

However, I'm doing it as a non-resident landlord, so...

Coincidentally, HMRC just sent me an email: 

You have a new message from HMRC about Self Assessment.

To view it, sign in to your HMRC online account.

For security reasons, we have not included a link with this email.

Why you got this email

You chose to get paperless notifications instead of letters by post.

This means we send you an email to let you know you have a new message in your account.

From HMRC Self Assessment

Let me think - a message notifying you of your obligation to submit a 19/20 tax return and self assessment?

21 hours ago, arunadasi said:

I'm non-resident and I've been doing it online for years.

However, I'm doing it as a non-resident landlord, so...

I'm also a non resident UK landlord. But they don't let me do it online.

Could it be that you can because you started to submit it online before you became non-UK resident?

I think that if you are allowed to submit online (presumably without form SA109), then HMRC must believe that you are UK resident for tax purposes.

This may have implications for how much tax you have to pay, both in the UK and possibly elsewhere.

Form SA109 includes the required annual declaration of non-residence.

1 hour ago, apel said:

I think that if you are allowed to submit online (presumably without form SA109), then HMRC must believe that you are UK resident for tax purposes.

This may have implications for how much tax you have to pay, both in the UK and possibly elsewhere.

Form SA109 includes the required annual declaration of non-residence.

Not in my case, since I am classified as a non-resident landlord! So they know by definition that I am not uk based.

3 hours ago, Gambatte said:

I'm also a non resident UK landlord. But they don't let me do it online.

Could it be that you can because you started to submit it online before you became non-UK resident?

This is possible. But I have no idea. I thought everyone could do it.

They definitely know I'm not uk based. Last year there was a problem as I missed the  deadline so we had a lot if snail mail correspondence. I had to explain that my husband had died, I'd had a serious accident, I'd been abroad. In the end I was excused from the late penalty.

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

Not in my case, since I am classified as a non-resident landlord! So they know by definition that I am not uk based.

Though one can be classed as a non resident landlord but still be a UK resident for tax purposes.

28 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Though one can be classed as a non resident landlord but still be a UK resident for tax purposes.

If they considered me as  tax-resident in the UK they'd make me do the self-assessment for all my income, not just the rental. But they don't!

13 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

If they considered me as  tax-resident in the UK they'd make me do the self-assessment for all my income, not just the rental. But they don't!

Sure, I  understand.  Just wanted to say that it is possible to be classed as non resident landlord, but still are taxed as UK residents.

I think it's quite clear that someone non-resident for tax purposes should not file online, and indeed I suspect it's not possible to do so without making a false declaration somewhere in the system.

So in a case where HMRC accept online filing, then I guess one of the following applies:

• they haven't noticed (they don't actually check most self assessment cases, they process them automatically)
  • they think you're UK resident for tax purposes (which doesn't necessarily mean living in the UK)
  • they have noticed but they can't be bothered to object because it doesn't make any difference in your case; or
  • they have noticed, and it's to their advantage