HMRC tax return - can we do it online even if we are resident in Germany?

58 posts in this topic

Does any of you know whether Germany-resident having to report tax return to HMRC (Her Majesty Revenue and Custom, the British taxman so to speak) can do it online?

In all its correspondence HMRC always encourages us to file online. But last time we tried (admittedly, some years ago), after filling zillions of useless forms their website finally told us we cannot file online if we are resident outside the UK. It was annoying wasting so much time, even more so given the fact they they had known since the very beginning that we were/are resident in Germany for all purpose. 

Thanks,

I tried again this year and  still got the helpful message telling me that I must be resident in the UK to do an online submission.

Thanks.

Why don't they let us do it online is beyond me. It would be so much better.

Plus, it is very irritating indeed that they always encourage us to do something they don't allow us to do.

I know I know, life is not meant to be fair...

Thanks again.

I don't get it either, but then again, I don't think logic was ever HMRC's strong point. It wouldn't be quite so bad if the helpful 'tip' to file online wasn't printed next to my German address!

Don't forget you need to file by 31st Oct when you do it on paper.

21 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

Thanks.

Why don't they let us do it online is beyond me. It would be so much better.

Plus, it is very irritating indeed that they always encourage us to do something they don't allow us to do.

I know I know, life is not meant to be fair...

Thanks again.

Maybe a bit outdated though I was told that online filing would be ok unless property rental income is involved. 

4 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

I've always done it online, even while living in Germany. No problem at all.

Well that is weird!

3 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

I've always done it online, even while living in Germany. No problem at all.

Wow, interesting. Lucky you.

2 minutes ago, emkay said:

Maybe a bit outdated though I was told that online filing would be ok unless property rental income is involved. 

We have only property income. Maybe that's indeed the catch. Actually no, it can't be, look at what snowinagain posted.

Just now, Gambatte said:

We have only property income. Maybe that's indeed the catch.

Me too...hence postal submission.  

Yes, maybe that's the catch. Last year I did the property income thing for the first time and it was very complicated so I did it by mail. But all the years before that I did it online -- in January.

A propos: my daughter apparently has just got a bill for over 1000 GBP from HMRC due to late filing. She has never even earned that much! She earned a few hundred as self-emplyed in 2015 then moved to Germany in 2016 and didn't think she had to file again so didn't even bother opening her mail from them apparently as it was sent to Germany and she thought it was obvious. I have to help her sort that out snext week. Not looking forward to it...

Brit mate of mine here in DE, with UK rental income <10k, keep saying: "as I earn below the personal allowance I don't owe them tax, then I can just as well continue NOT to file any tax return to HMRC..."

He is wrong (right he doesnt owe them tax, but must still report them this income), and maybe one day it will badly backfire, but it's a very handy approach....

3 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

Brit mate of mine here in DE, with UK rental income <10k, keep saying: "as I earn below the personal allowance I don't owe them tax, then I can just as well continue NOT to file any tax return to HMRC..."

He is wrong (right he doesnt owe them tax, but must still report them this income), and maybe one day it will badly backfire, but it's a very handy approach...

Yes I don't owe tax either but I learned my lesson years ago and just shut my eyes and do it! Which reminds me that I need to do the German one next week...

2 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

He is wrong (right he doesnt owe them tax, but must still report them this income), and maybe one day it will badly backfire, but it's a very handy approach...

Definitely correct about not paying tax here on less than the personal allowance profit. I was told that SA tax returns are necessary whilst the property is still owned and rented. It's not complicated despite all the other forms that are mostly irrelevant. 

10 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

A propos: my daughter apparently has just got a bill for over 1000 GBP from HMRC due to late filing. She has never even earned that much! She earned a few hundred as self-emplyed in 2015 then moved to Germany in 2016 and didn't think she had to file again so didn't even bother opening her mail from them apparently as it was sent to Germany and she thought it was obvious. I have to help her sort that out snext week. Not looking forward to it...

The appeal form against late payment penalties

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/590402/SA370-appeal.pdf

And some information about the process

http://taxaid.org.uk/guides/taxpayers/tax-returns/late-filing-penalties-and-appeals

Just to add: our UK rental income comes from an old small house wife and I own in shares 99:1. 1/100th of that income is a VERY small amount. We feel rather embarassed to write such small number on the tax form (will they not take it as a stupid joke or maybe even provocation?). 

So it is...

3 minutes ago, emkay said:

Definitely correct about not paying tax here on less than the personal allowance profit. 

Yes of course, correct about no tax is due (actually it depends on your nationality, did you know?).

But that does not mean one does not have to report the income.

3 hours ago, arunadasi said:

I just checked into my HMRC online gateway account. Again it says 

So again, it is allowing me to do it online. It's become more secure than ever, now sending a verification code to my phone. 

Wait a sec, they are not saying you can do it online, arent they?

Plus... your phone has a UK or a DE number?