Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Consulate jobs

12 posts in this topic

Ive been looking at jobs at the consulate in Frankfurt for a little while now. Ive noticed they have been hiring for a security detail member position for a while. Does anyone have any experience working security at the consulate or know much about the job, what company actually manages it etc?

The job posting says its a counter surviellance position and it sounds possibly fun on paper, just wondering if its actually rewarding or if you stand at a fixed post or metal detector all day waiting for your shift to end. 

Ive tried googleing the question but have found little answers. Thanks!

A few things come to mind regarding this.   i worked for the consulate a number of years ago, things have perhaps changed, others not.

First, are you a permanent resident?  I ask as I noticed you've been on TT for about 6 months.  Permanent resident status is a must.

Do you have LE or security experience?  Another must have.

How is your German?  During the process, if you make it through the first stage of CV rubbish bin tossing, you'll be invited to take a language test.  Pass and you're on your way to an actual interview.

Security detail is one of those areas that flip-flops between contracting and actual employees depending upon government budgeting and the current secretary of state.  One day you're an employee, the next either out or the contractor might hire you.

It's shift work.  Dealing with employee and visitor entry to the consulate grounds and roaming said grounds.  Also handling the xray devices for bags and the like.

If you have a difficult time being politically correct or overly polite - avoid it.  A number of those in the consulate are wolves and believe themselves above others.  Sneeze in the wrong direction and you're out on your ass!

Fun?  Depends upon your definition.  PSD does the counter-surveillance outside the consulate grounds.  As retired government LE, I would say dull as dirt.  But it could open other doors within the consulate with better opportunities.

22 minutes ago, BayrischDude said:

A few things come to mind regarding this.   i worked for the consulate a number of years ago, things have perhaps changed, others not.

First, are you a permanent resident?  I ask as I noticed you've been on TT for about 6 months.  Permanent resident status is a must.

Do you have LE or security experience?  Another must have.

How is your German?  During the process, if you make it through the first stage of CV rubbish bin tossing, you'll be invited to take a language test.  Pass and you're on your way to an actual interview.

Security detail is one of those areas that flip-flops between contracting and actual employees depending upon government budgeting and the current secretary of state.  One day you're an employee, the next either out or the contractor might hire you.

It's shift work.  Dealing with employee and visitor entry to the consulate grounds and roaming said grounds.  Also handling the xray devices for bags and the like.

If you have a difficult time being politically correct or overly polite - avoid it.  A number of those in the consulate are wolves and believe themselves above others.  Sneeze in the wrong direction and you're out on your ass!

Fun?  Depends upon your definition.  PSD does the counter-surveillance outside the consulate grounds.  As retired government LE, I would say dull as dirt.  But it could open other doors within the consulate with better opportunities.

Thanks for the reply. Im on my way to permanent resident status. Im begining my language course in a few weeks and hope to get out of there at around B1 like they promised. Im the only one in the family other than the wife who speaks English so that shouldent be an issue. Im swamped in German. Ive been here about a year. The Auslanderbehorde said they would give me the work permit if I found a job. 

I was a cop in the states for about five years and before that in the Infantry in the Army. I have a lot of experience in the area along with PSD combat experience in Iraq. 

How much German do they require? Is the job done in German or english? I saw the job posting says you need a “good working knowledge” not sure what level that equates to, I was hoping I could apply with a B1 cert. 

Yeah I figured it was manning a metal detector or randomly roaming the grounds, stuff I did as a bailiff before I came here.  Not super exciting but I was hoping it would be a foot in the door to work my way up to something better. 

I’m not the most politically correct person but I can put a smile on my face and fake it if I have to. I would never snap at some employee to risk my job. 

Can you work your way into PST from the guard position or is it entirely separate job/company?  I saw the pay starts out at like €30,000 a year which I’m assuming is somewhere around €2000 take home a month give or take.  It’s not a ton of money but I figured it was a good start somewhere.  I was more thinking on the line of like in 10 years where will I be if I started there.  Does it have a high turnover rate? Seems like they’ve been constantly hiring for that position for the last couple years

59 minutes ago, Petro6golf said:

Im on my way to permanent resident status. Im begining my language course in a few weeks and hope to get out of there at around B1 like they promised. Im the only one in the family other than the wife who speaks English so that shouldent be an issue. Im swamped in German. Ive been here about a year. The Auslanderbehorde said they would give me the work permit if I found a job. 

What are you doing here? If you need a job in order to receive permission to work, it could be a problem (there was a change in German laws a few years ago regarding Locally Employed Staff). If you don’t include a copy of your permit with your application, it won’t be considered.

I saw the pay starts out at like €30,000 a year which I’m assuming is somewhere around €2000 take home a month give or take.

I don’t know anything about the positions for which you are applying, but the US Embassy pay scale is above the market rates for comparable positions in my field. The old ads also indicated that addition to the base salary in the ad, there were also other benefits. I can’t remember all the details, but it came to about 12% more. I’m not sure if this is still the case (and I wouldn’t recommend asking about it either), however, it is probably a good job opportunity.

1 hour ago, BayrischDude said:

Permanent resident status is a must.

An NE is not necessarily required; foreigners only need to demonstrate having full labour market access. I was able to get an interview with just “Erwerbstätigkeit gestattet”.

1 hour ago, Petro6golf said:

How much German do they require? Is the job done in German or english? I saw the job posting says you need a “good working knowledge” not sure what level that equates to, I was hoping I could apply with a B1 cert. 

Can you work your way into PST from the guard position or is it entirely separate job/company?  I saw the pay starts out at like €30,000 a year which I’m assuming is somewhere around €2000 take home a month give or take.  It’s not a ton of money but I figured it was a good start somewhere.  I was more thinking on the line of like in 10 years where will I be if I started there.  Does it have a high turnover rate? Seems like they’ve been constantly hiring for that position for the last couple years

Read the advertisement.  It states German Level 3 and English 'Good working knowledge'.  Reason is down to dealing with local police, delivery firms, Germans who work in the consulate, etc. 

PSD is manned by GS grade employees from the department of state.  They do have local national investigators as well, but those have been there a donkey's age.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Ill apply when I feel I have enough German to pass the language test. Appreciate the help. 

30K a year before tax would be about 1.5K a month for a single person after taxes and social contributions- check a "Gehaltsrechner" for a more accuate figure. 

9 minutes ago, Conquistador said:

30K a year before tax would be about 1.5K a month for a single person after taxes and social contributions- check a "Gehaltsrechner" for a more accuate figure. 

Ill look into it thanks. 

You really should have your qualifications evaluated by the proper state agency in Hessen, since as a former cop and soldier you're qualified for much more challenging security work (surely graduation from a police academy and your experience is worth something). To give you a starting point, the boyfriend of a friend of mine does high-level security work for a large international company and his primary qualification is a decade of Bundeswehr service (I don't know what his MOS was). 

I spoke with the Polizei, they said there might be an age wavor for joining (im 33) since I have prior law enforcement experience. Not sure how many years it will take to get to that level of German, im assuming 3-5. Not sure if thats what I want to do though. Im just looking at my options while I learn the language. 

I looked at Ponds but they start at like €10 an hour. Hardly worth the trouble getting all the certs for that little money. Can you ask what company and send me a pm about it?

I looked at Pinkerton, its a great gig and pays well but has extensive travel which im not too keen on.