Car registration

8 posts in this topic

guten tag, 

my car will be arriving from dubai at hamburg port next month. It has no number plates as i'ts de-registered before leaving dubai. I have an international driving license. I would like to register the car here in germany. 

can someone guide me from the port where should i take the car to do the registration (anmeldung) & fix numberplates. 

I will apply for a german driving license within 1 year as my International Driving License is valid only for one year. 

regards,

thaddeus

First you have to go to customs. Since it is your car you probably will not have to pay tax and VAT.

Then you have to go to the TÜV for inspection? What make is it? Do you have a COC?

You should clarify with the TÜV everything now, before you have the car.

You are not allowed to drive with the car without plates on German roads. You will need "Überführungskennzeichen". google it.

After the car passed the TÜV you can register the car.

As far as I know, Portugal is in the EU. You won't need an international driving license. You national driving license is valid.

7 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

First you have to go to customs. Since it is your car you probably will not have to pay tax and VAT.

Then you have to go to the TÜV for inspection? What make is it? Do you have a COC?

You are not allowed to drive with the car without plates on German roads. You will need "Überführungskennzeichen". google it.

As far as I know, Portugal is in the EU. You won't need an international driving license. You national driving license is valid.

thanks for your reply ill google points you mentioned. 

I didnt have a portugal driving license - I got my first driving license in dubai itself which is valid for 10 years and to drive abroad i got the international driving license. 

You can use you Dubai driving license for 6 month. After 6 month you need a German driving license.

So you have some time to find out, how it works.

25 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

You can use you Dubai driving license for 6 month. After 6 month you need a German driving license.

So you have some time to find out, how it works.

Toytown

>> Once I clear it from Customs they will issue some certificate > After this the car will be in the Port or can i use a recovery truck and take it to my residence? 

Make  = Mitsubishi Pajero 4X4 , Model 2014, Its three years old - On my name. 

I need the number plates to drive to TUV for inspection - the COC is not there with me i guess i'll have to apply it online (im checking with my agency in dubai from where i go the car whether i can get the COC). 

The international driving licence is to be used with your national driving licence. As you do not have an EU licence, you need to apply for a German licence before 6 months is up.

Use TT search function - top right, and key in  search, for car import, German driving licence.

17 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

The international driving licence is to be used with your national driving licence. As you do not have an EU licence, you need to apply for a German licence before 6 months is up.

Use TT search function - top right, and key in  search, for car import, German driving licence.

thanks for the input

i'm worried how to get the car out of the Port - Is there any temp number plate i can get at the port and then take it to TUV for inspection and finally for registration

@tfernandes: At least here in the south the TÜV has the data of many cars in their database. If they have the information of exactly the same type they can print it for 25€ or so.

Thus, my recommendation to go to the TÜV with all the papers about the car immediately. They will tell you what you will need.

To get a temp plate you need an insurance. Possibly you have to use a flat bed to bring the car to the TÜV attach the plates and drive to registration office. Please note, if the car has no plates you are only allowed to park the car on private ground!