The War on Wireless

117 posts in this topic

Right then,

Whilst driving to the bakery Saturday I caught an ad by Telekom where the kid asks his Dad in German "Do I get a mobile?" and the Dad has to say yes, then the sibling says "Me too?", then I think even the wife and dog get one. All of course in one lovely convenient "Family" phone plan. 

We have had wireless LAN in our home for a few months now. Since then, my oldest teen has become obsessed with some app called "Musikelly" and my son has begun playing some game with "war" in the title. Last week I got a bit fed up as I'd asked them to take the dog out and get "in a minute". Their attention is totally on this stupid screens now. I'm not against mobiles for phoning as they can be lifesavers, but the apps on them are draining everyone's attention. My wife goes to meetings where the important bigwigs don't listen but click on their phones all the way through. 

When thought it was just nutty me, I read in this morning's Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/oct/05/smartphone-addiction-silicon-valley-dystopia?CMP=twt_gu that even the lower-downs at Facebook and Google are disconnecting.

http://www.realclearlife.com/technology/former-google-product-philosopher-thinks-technology-is-purposely-addictive/

Addiction to mobiles is causing accidents:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2013/09/15/why-distraction-is-so-dangerous-and-what-we-can-do-about-it/#27b607d0a71e

So my initial answer to this has been to begin to change the password on the WLAN. We have a TP-Link things and I log in and alter it, but I'm not the best at picking a new password - usually, a place we know but the buggers keep guessing it. So I'm changing to others like names of veg from the garden! It is cat and mouse.

So what is everyone doing to curb their kids' smartphone use?

We end this with the iconic scene from Network where the newsreader flips out:

It was bad then with TV it is now even worse.

6 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

So my initial answer to this has been to begin to change the password on the WLAN. We have a TP-Link

Depending on what TP-Link you have, you might want to think about setting up a schedule, so that WLAN isn't available at certain times...

http://www.tp-link.com/at/faq-1115.html

Just now, El Jeffo said:

Or just turn off your internet. Maybe your family will thank you.

I'm sure Toytown will.

Sorry but if you have nothing positive to add to this thread please just butt out. it is comments like yours which have led to the decline in this site over the last three months.

41 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Or just turn off your internet. ..

39 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Sorry but if you have nothing positive to add to this thread please just butt out. it is comments like yours which have led to the decline in this site over the last three months.

Sounds like a positive addition me. Even go so far as to have designated disconnected internet time...

You should be able to block each individual Mac adress... 

But I do like Jeffos solution of turning off the darned thing

I think you need this device...

I actually think @jeremytwo is on to something here.

I'm a bit of a reactionary old fart when it comes to all this brave new world wireless/digital/internet shit...and a slight hypocrite as well, at times, too, of course.

We tried a free love approach for a while with our kids and it turned out to be a complete disaster. Worse than crack.

We now limit my 13 y.o. son's access. As of the weekend, he gets 2 hours per day when he's at home (no mobile data) and now feels terribly unjustly treated.

Our 15 y.o. daughter ...unlimited - for the time being. She's supposed to be able to regulate her use in a responsible way. Just Say No. We'll see.

All done through the Fritzbox I believe. My wife's the expert in these matters.

A friend of mine is having this problem already with a 3 year old.  They let him watch cartoons on youtube with an old cell phone and taking away the phone at any point, dinner time, bed time etc. results in a tantrum.  They've started unplugging the router now and then the phone is "broken" and he'll put it down without a fight.

Plenty of people are cutting down or turning off.  I feel a sense of freedom when I leave my cell phone at home and can't be reached.  I am starting to do that more often now.  Of course it goes without saying that if you can't turn it off yourself, you can't really expect your kids to.

6 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Of course it goes without saying that if you can't turn it off yourself, you can't really expect your kids to.

Absolutely. 

I think you just need to agree household limits. Not easy if you are all using the internet a lot. Many games also work offline as we recently discovered when our wifi wasn't working...check your kid's games for this. It's certainly an addiction and best dealt with soonest. I've always made a point of wifi being switched off at nighttime.  As with most things with kids, it's a novelty at first that does wear off.  Real life distractions are best. 

My 16 year old now thinks that all she uses is whatsapp, Snapchat etc for actual communication between friends. FB is only for old people apparently!  She reckons that when she's in an actual friend meet-up, no one is glued to their phones as they used to be.

I use some old school techniques called rules and discipline.  If they do not follow the rules then there are consequences and you have to be consistent with them.  Avoid the "This is the last time I tell you ...".

Back in the day before mobiles, my oldest son got addicted to his GameBoy. That was a no-brainer - just gave it to him each day after all of his chores and school homework was done and he had spent an hour or so outside. Often, the outside play turned into 2 or 3 hrs. I don't know why one can't do the same with a mobile.

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I don't know why one can't do the same with a mobile.

Most nowadays parents are scared of their kids.

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Back in the day before mobiles, my oldest son got addicted to his GameBoy. That was a no-brainer - just gave it to him each day after all of his chores and school homework was done and he had spent an hour or so outside. Often, the outside play turned into 2 or 3 hrs. I don't know why one can't do the same with a mobile.

Fruity, I think there is a difference between my era of 1.5 hours of kids telly a day, to the 1990s Gameboy era, when it started to get heavy, to today when it is like the 1990s on steroids.

It is whatever you make it. Your house. Your rules. I remember the entitled years where my kids didn't get who paid for the internet and accouterments.

ETA - Great minds...snap

10 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Who make the rules at home Jeremy?  Are there rules at all?

I know someone who could use these...

growacet-bp.jpg

Is this matter at odds to how things were when as kids or teenagers were glued to 'le box'?  How often I recall being called to various meals while watching something brain numbing...  Auntie usually came along, turned it off and told me in a stern manner to come with.  Correct, couldn't fathom carrying one of those monster televisions to the table or loo, but still...  our parental units went through the same mess much of you are going through today.  Mine are grown and gone!

I've no doubt the grand parents had the same issue with the parents and radios.

I wonder what great-grand-parents had to deal with? 'Stop playing with that bloody stone wheel and come eat'! :lol::lol: