House insurance after buying a house from previous owner

25 posts in this topic

When I bought my house the old owners gave me a file with everything from planning permissions for various things to the waste treatment system  and heating installation. It also contained the insurance documents for all the policies they had on the house that automatically transferred to me, they only missed one policy and I was able to cancel that as soon as I wrote to them. Sadly it seemed at the time there is no way to know what insurance has been taken out unless the previous owner lets you know.

7 hours ago, Berlioz said:

Hi, we are having the same issue. We received a hefty bill 1 year after moving into our house from an insurance company. I have now read all about how the transfer happens automatically etc.however,  at no point during the whole purchasing process were we made aware of this. We received nothing from the insurance company informing us we were insured with them. So how is it meant to work? Who is supposed to inform you of this? The seller, real estate broker, notary, mortgage lender, the insurance company? I mean at the very least it is good to know who you are insured with! Even if I had been aware of this practice I would not have known who to contact to cancel. 

Thanks 

Who has the insurance company addressed the letter / Invoice to?

If it has your name on it, ask them to show you proof that you requested the insurance... 

If it has the previous owners name on it, return the letter, get your own insurance cover sorted..    

23 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Who has the insurance company addressed the letter / Invoice to?

If it has your name on it, ask them to show you proof that you requested the insurance... 

If it has the previous owners name on it, return the letter, get your own insurance cover sorted..    

This won't work.   When you buy a house or apartment it is a legal requirement to have insurance before the transfer process and then the insurance is transferred to the new owner.   The new owner can then cancel the insurance after getting his name written down in the registration book (Grundbuch).

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

The new owner can then cancel the insurance after getting his name written down in the registration book (Grundbuch).

I believe you have a period of three months from the date on which you are registered as the new owner to cancel the policy, and transfer to an insurer of your choice.