Looking for apartment in karlsruhe

15 posts in this topic

I hope someone can help me. I got a job in KA and will start working on 2nd November so I do not have much time to find an apartment.

I am  looking for 3 room apartment, I do not have pets or kids. I dont have bad credit score and I have good paycheck.

We contacted all agencies in town and everyone told us ( without even wanting to give us termin to introduce ourselves) to not come to them because they have too much request and can't help us. Did anyone else had such respons from agencies? Are we doing something wrong? Should we just come to their office without calling to ask for a meeting?

We applied to many immobilienscout ads but mostly no one is answering or they write ' due to high demand we have to decline your request'

Yesterday I sent request to view one really nice apartment,but reply from owner left me puzzled he wrote: 'due to the fact you have high qualified job I doubt you are looking for a long term rent'

Can someone advice me, am I doing something wrong? Is there anywhere else we should look

Right know is a very bad time to look for apartments (because of the incoming students).

I would try to find something temporary for the first few months and then look for a permanent

place once you moved to KA. You don't really mention where you are located right now but looking

for a placeis always easier when you are already in town. 

Also, I never really had success with imobilienscout. Try ALL other websites that you can find (immonet, immowelt, ebay-kleinanzeigen,

Wg-gesucht, quoka, ...). I usually checked all of them at least twice a day and contacted the once I found interesting

immediately.

Good luck.

On 3.10.2017, 22:36:51, vronchen said:

Right know is a very bad time to look for apartments (because of the incoming students).

I would try to find something temporary for the first few months and then look for a permanent

place once you moved to KA. You don't really mention where you are located right now but looking

for a placeis always easier when you are already in town. 

Also, I never really had success with imobilienscout. Try ALL other websites that you can find (immonet, immowelt, ebay-kleinanzeigen,

Wg-gesucht, quoka, ...). I usually checked all of them at least twice a day and contacted the once I found interesting

immediately.

Good luck.

Thanks for good luck I will need it for sure.

We checked few apartments but requests that this landlords have are ridiculous. One guy told us it is mandatory to take his kitchen for 6.000 € plus 2.000 € kaution.Another one asked us we take his kitchen for 2.000 € or we won't get the apartment. After we give him that much money he can go on holidays for sure.

The more I look for apartment the more I realize Germany supports non workers and Hartz VI.

We saw so many nice buildings in nice peaceful neighbourhoods, mostly this type of apartments come with two balconies :) and they are aparments for social cases. 

Apartments that were offered to my husband and I (which both work hard from the day one of coming to this country) are old apartments in buildings from 1900 ( I am not making this stuff up). All apartments are old and in terrible conditions and mostly on main street so you can't hear your thoughts.

I am seriously thinking we should both stop working and apply for Hart VI and live in nice neighborhood and do nothing.

10 minutes ago, BlueSouthern said:

One guy told us it is mandatory to take his kitchen for 6.000 € plus 2.000 € kaution.Another one asked us we take his kitchen for 2.000 €

So how much would you pay for a kitchen? They aren't cheap to buy and install. Very often these prices are negotiable.

26 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

So how much would you pay for a kitchen? They aren't cheap to buy and install. Very often these prices are negotiable.

True but perhaps I did not explain right.

I think if they paid for kitchen 2000 € 5 years ago they can not ask the same money back. Am I right? 

44 minutes ago, BlueSouthern said:

True but perhaps I did not explain right.

I think if they paid for kitchen 2000 € 5 years ago they can not ask the same money back. Am I right? 

They can ask whatever they think it is worth.  And will probably find someone to take it. You do not have to pay for installation of kitchen!.

In my opinion, 2k is a good price for an already installed kitchen especially if it is in good condition. If you take a flat without a kitchen, it could be 6 weeks or more before you get one installed and it will definitely cost more. I would only pay 6k for a used kitchen if it was super luxurious and a bit large with brand name appliances included.

I got a kitchen installed in May from IKEA, and it costed 3500 €. This is a 4m long kitchen, and installation is included (~800 €). I find 6k incredibly high, 2k looks okay.

Housing is really a very big issue in Germany. I guess that makes people very reluctant to move.

3 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

In my opinion, 2k is a good price for an already installed kitchen especially if it is in good condition. If you take a flat without a kitchen, it could be 6 weeks or more before you get one installed and it will definitely cost more. I would only pay 6k for a used kitchen if it was super luxurious and a bit large with brand name appliances included.

Yes definetly if it is super luxurious kitchen with fancy brand name appliances in super luxurious flat I would not complain. I am talking about old used kitchens that were bought years ago. In the case of 2.000€ kitchen, guy bought it 5 years ago. If I am not mistaken with years price goes down?

So is it crap or in good condition? Mine is  about 27 yrs. old and still functions well and looks OK. Of course we have upgraded appliances over the years.

47 minutes ago, BlueSouthern said:

Yes definetly if it is super luxurious kitchen with fancy brand name appliances in super luxurious flat I would not complain. I am talking about old used kitchens that were bought years ago. In the case of 2.000€ kitchen, guy bought it 5 years ago. If I am not mistaken with years price goes down?

What is the condition of the kitchen?

You can:

-try and negotiate a lower price

-refuse and say you want to install your own

-check out used kitchens on eBay/ local ads

-by this time, someone else may have moved in!

19 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

What is the condition of the kitchen?

You can:

-try and negotiate a lower price

-refuse and say you want to install your own

-check out used kitchens on eBay/ local ads

-by this time, someone else may have moved in!

Yes that was my point, they actually know they can ask for ridiculous price, since the situation with apartments is shit you need to take everything they offer or someone else will do it.

We applied for another apartment where landlord wants us to take over the kitchen for 800€ which is okay price and we accepted it. 

my vormieters charged me exactly what I would have paid a makler to take over their hideous furniture.

I didn't want their crap, but I wanted the apartment.  So I paid it.  Not the end of the world.

you found an apartment.  Stop bellyaching.

18 hours ago, BlueSouthern said:

We applied for another apartment where landlord wants us to take over the kitchen for 800€ which is okay price and we accepted it

Congratulations!

Can anyone recommend a Makler/Broker to help us find an apartment in Karlruhe for our son? He will start college there in the fall and we are willing to start renting anytime to get something pinned down.  His preferred area is west near his school.  Many thanks for any relevant information or advice!!  Thanks!!