How people treat Autobahn speed limit?

77 posts in this topic

This weekend I had my first experience driving on an Autobahn. It was a 10 hours drive and I observed that 70% of the time there were speed limits but only 30% of the cars were obeying it.

I know the correct thing to do is to follow the speed limit, but I was wondering if there is some hidden common knowledge about those speed limits? In Brazil people generally agree that there is a 10% tolerance for the speed limit that you generally don't get tickets if you don't exceed it (Although that is not backed by the law), what about Germany? I doubt all those cars are getting tickets. Why they are so confident driving above the speed limit? Maybe it is really easy to see the speed limit radars or something?

I drive the Autobahn regularly.

20-30km over the speed limit and you are hit with a one month ban. Even if it is your first time speeding.

Not worth it. Just follow the rules and don`t look for ways to get around it because you can`t.

I'm not talking about 20-30km over it. I wasn't even driving in the fastest line. I was driving in 2nd/3rd lane from left to right, and I was just "going with the flow" with the same speed as every other car. But if the speed limit was 80, they would be driving at 86-90 km/h consistently.

I'm asking this questions because I found really hard to obey the speed limit since the big majority of cars were going faster than the speed limit.

The other cars probably know where the speed cameras are.

If you have trouble obeying the speed limit may I suggest you buy a bike or even a skateboard.

Many people drive up to 20 over the speed limit because up to 20 over, you don't get points on your license and the fines are relatively low.  The tolerance here is that they subtract 3km from your speed before fining you or if you are going over 100km outside of town they subtract 3%.

You can see the list of fines here: https://www.bussgeldkatalog.org/geschwindigkeitsueberschreitung/  The upper table is for outside of town, the lower is for inside of town.

What I do: I strictly obey the speed limits in towns and construction areas.

In 120 or 130km/h zones I go 20km faster - if safely possible.

15 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Many people drive up to 20 over the speed limit because up to 20 over, you don't get points on your license and the fines are relatively low.  

FFS. Where did u find this out ? You drive 70 in a 50 zone depending on what state there is a chance you could be banned for a month. Also if you speed during roadworks you could also be banned.

LeonG please use this site sensibly and responsibly.

7 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

What I do: I strictly obey the speed limits in towns and construction areas.

In 120 or 130km/h zones I go 20km faster - if safely possible.

I'm just curious, so for you it is a calculated risk? How often do you get a ticket doing that?

@Serr: I don't drive that much nowerdays. As far as I remember I got 4 tickets the last 20 years. Two in towns (10€ each) and two on the autobahn.

Years ago I frequently drove 700km from Schleswig-Holstein to Mannheim. A 20km higher average speed saves you one hour, which I prefered to spend in my bed.

I am glad that that I can go to work by bike and don't have to care about the traffic jams in this area.

11 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

@Serr: I don't drive that much nowerdays. As far as I remember I got 4 tickets the last 20 years. Two in towns (10€ each) and two on the autobahn.

Years ago I frequently drove 700km from Schleswig-Holstein to Mannheim. A 20km higher average speed saves you one hour, which I prefered to spend in my bed.

I am glad that that I can go to work by bike and don't have to care about the traffic jams in this area.

Thank you for the clarification. So you basically paying a little bit to sleep more, sounds like a good investment to me, haha.

People who speed on Autobahn are idiots and organ donors.

In Germany speed limits are set up for two reasons:

1. Noise reduction for the residents. Here, if you're speeding, you are behaving like an asshole.

2. Roadworks.

3. Safety.

Here on A9 there is an unusually curved stretch with 130 kmh speed limit. From time to time someone thinks they are smart ass, drives 170 kmh on the curve, and ends up in hospital (in the lucky case). 

I might not have been clear with my question. I'm basically asking why is so common to people go a little bit over the speed limit (less than 10km/h over). I thought that maybe if you are going at 108 km/h where the speed limit is 100 km/h you are not going to getting a ticket.

Serr - I think the 10 per cent rule applies here also. 

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

The other cars probably know where the speed cameras are.

If you have trouble obeying the speed limit may I suggest you buy a bike or even a skateboard.

I've been nicked on the school run a few time in our town - 65 in a 50 sort of thing. Quite often they set up random cameras. Antenne Bayern has a bulletin every hour with the latest blitz alert, which I think is fair, whereas in France that sort of info is illegal I believe. 

There are two things, I suggest for safe driving on the Autobahn:

1. If you want to change lanes use your blinker and don't force other drivers to brake. There are many "Oberlehrer" in Germany who want to teach other people to stick to speed limits or whatever..

2. When you enter the Autobahn accelerate to a save speed (120-150km/h) before you merge. Don't force other drivers to brake. If you don't see a chance to merge until the accelartion lane ends, continue driving on the "Standspur". Don't go to the left lane immediately, drive some seconds on the right lane before you start to overtake.

Welcome in the land of " idiots and organ donors ".

8 hours ago, Serr said:

I might not have been clear with my question. I'm basically asking why is so common to people go a little bit over the speed limit (less than 10km/h over). I thought that maybe if you are going at 108 km/h where the speed limit is 100 km/h you are not going to getting a ticket.

If you are going 108, the police will subtract 3% which leaves you going about 105 and you will be fined according to that and pay 10€ if you are out of town or 15€ if you are in town.

9 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

FFS. Where did u find this out ? You drive 70 in a 50 zone depending on what state there is a chance you could be banned for a month. Also if you speed during roadworks you could also be banned.

I posted the link.  You can find the same info on many other websites.  I'd be interested in finding out though from where you have the info that you'd get banned for a month if you go 20km too fast.  Can you post that link? 

10 hours ago, Serr said:

This weekend I had my first experience driving on an Autobahn. It was a 10 hours drive and I observed that 70% of the time there were speed limits but only 30% of the cars were obeying it.

In my experience I would say 80% follow the limits within 10km/h-20km/h, which IMO is quite good.

Be careful on your analysis because some speed limits are only fo when there is ice on the road...

12 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

In my experience I would say 80% follow the limits within 10km/h-20km/h, which IMO is quite good.

Be careful on your analysis because some speed limits are only fo when there is ice on the road...

Good point.  Some signs have a speed limit too for a certain time of day or when it's wet ("bei Nässe").

"Nässe" doesn't mean it just started raining a little. The speed limit is only valid if there is a water film on the  tarmac.