Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Day trips from Bremen

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm living in Bremen and have some family visiting in mid august. Just wondered if anyone can recomend anywhere to take them thats within two - three hours drive or so. Already familiar with places closer to home such as Hamburg.

We could stay overnight if needed. Also my Sister and Mum are not great walkers so sightseeing is ok but not hiking. Rules out Harz Mountains maybe? <_<

Sandra, whats Celle like? I've heard Hannover is not so good? but wondered about Celle.

Was wondering about Lubeck or Quidleburg (think I spelt that right its the one near Magdeburg). Anyone know either of them?

Thanks in advance. :D

Suzanne

There are many attractions in Bremerhaven, ranging from the German Maritime Museum and the Marine Zoo to the wartime U-boat "Wilhelm Bauer" and the Atlanticum at the "Shopwindow Fishery Harbour".

Or have a look here.

If shopping is order of the day as well as seing another town, might I reccomend Wilhelmshaven.

(if you wish to spend the night there I can recommend Roffhausenerhof)

Thanks for that. I will take a look :D

Was also wondering about Lueneburg. Someone said thats nice? Schwerin was also recomended but that seems to be halfway to Berlin so possibly not in the 2ish hour drive category then!

Might see if I can check out Bremerhaven this weekend with the Hubster. I fancy a bit of shopping :$

Suzanne :lol:

Hi Suzanne,

Celle is good for a day trip. The centre is medieval with a Schloss in the middle. Coming from God's country I wouldn't describe it as a big castle though !! but it's picturesque. There's lots of restaurants, cafes and over priced boutiques/antique shops.It's got a lovely park in the middle of town too..look out for the over fed ducks! Worth a jaunt for the day if you just want a pleasant day out...nothing too strenuous!

Just north from Celle at Bergen is the Bergen-Belsen memorial :huh: cheerful not! There's not much there apparantly, just big mounds and a museum. I'd body swerve that one unless you have a real interest in wartime stuff :(

Hannover is as you say...not up to much as cities go..Berlin it ain't! The zoo however is very good..for young and old.

Mmmh. Thanks for the info Sandra.

Think we will take a visit. I take it most things are shut on a Sunday. Sorry I should know better. Ignore that! :doh: