Zattoo limiting VPN and DNS access

67 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, pappnase said:

Not really, with html5 they can use geolocation (see here for a demo Try it before and after connecting).

Often that works well enough to establish your real location even if you are using a VPN.

 

 

How would they use geolocation if you used a desktop PC? (I.e.. No gps)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Location services in html5 can use lots of different features to find your location, it's usually more accurate than just IP based location services. See here for more technical detail than I can be bothered to provide.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7541779/why-html5-geolocation

 

Also answering the other poster, of course it's possible to disable the location API or to refuse the browser permission required, but similarly it's possible for the broadcaster to refuse service if you don't allow them to detect your location.

 

I don't think any of this is in common use by VoD providers yet, but it could be done if they wanted to.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many sites block you, if they detect you are using a VPN, BBC for example

 

The above article seems to suggest that there are many ways to hide your real location.  A VPN or smartDNS does this, as said the BBC will block you if they think you are using a VPN or your location is not inside the UK. But as many people know, using a good VPN company can get around these checks.

 

spend the money on a good VPN, and you will not have a problem, all things can change thou.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NEED SOME HELP!

It is a little off topic but I hope someone can help me. We have been on holiday and since we got back our Apple TV 4 shows the store with German movies and series, some English ones there but mostly German and the result is that most of our purchased films have gone!

The iTunes store is still logged into our British account with a German email address, but it always has been. The Smart DNS is working.

And the weird thing is when I look in the iTunes store on my Laptop, it is all English there, with exactly the same network, account, email address and Smart DNS.

Oh and btw the apple tv is on automatic updates...

Any ideas? I am lost at what to do... Thank you!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's completely off topic. Maybe you'll get more responses if you open a new thread :-) I'm pretty sure only Zattoo users would be reading this thread.

 

I noticed no interruption of service on the 5th. I had already taken Zattoo Up on their voucher code which made me a Swiss user apparently and terminated my Spanish subscription. 

 

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also got a message from them saying I am a CH customer but since yesterday it became very slow to change the channels a big delay 

 

anyone having the same ?

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, murphaph said:

It's completely off topic. Maybe you'll get more responses if you open a new thread :-) I'm pretty sure only Zattoo users would be reading this thread.

 

I noticed no interruption of service on the 5th. I had already taken Zattoo Up on their voucher code which made me a Swiss user apparently and terminated my Spanish subscription. 

 

 

 

 

Tanks, yes I have worked it out. After the last update the Apple TV must have been confused with half German and half English so it needed resetting. I first thought it had something to do with the smart DNS..

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I switched over to a Swiss Zattoo account last week. I notice today that when I try to use Zattoo at work on my Android phone (standard German ISP DNS), Zattoo does not revert to the German version, but instead displays the Swiss version channels. Those channels do not play however - a 'not available to stream in this country' message is displayed on all channels, including the German ones.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Noel Furlong said:

I switched over to a Swiss Zattoo account last week. I notice today that when I try to use Zattoo at work on my Android phone (standard German ISP DNS), Zattoo does not revert to the German version, but instead displays the Swiss version channels. Those channels do not play however - a 'not available to stream in this country' message is displayed on all channels, including the German ones.

 

 

You would need a Smart DNS. We have been always on the Swiss account and it does not work without Smart DNS...

And zattoo still works fine...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't realise the Swiss version does not work at all outside Switzerland without Smart DNS. Using the German/Spanish subscription, without Smart DNS Zattoo would just revert to the version of the country you were in.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Noel Furlong said:

I didn't realise the Swiss version does not work at all outside Switzerland without Smart DNS. Using the German/Spanish subscription, without Smart DNS Zattoo would just revert to the version of the country you were in.

Oh really? No with the Swiss one you need Smart DNS...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/09/2017, 14:45:22, Charleston said:

Hi,

I use zattoo the same way and I did not get the email at all. But I read about this by chance. I have written to zattoo now to see what is happening. Any idea what to use instead? Cannot be without English TV, even though I am German, german TV is so bad...

There loads of options to get English TV, assuming you're not bothered by the debbie downers who moan about how wrong it is. Easiest way is subscribe to Netflix or Amazon. Cheapest is to get a kodi box of sometype, well next to youtube anyways.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zattoo Premium on AFTV via Getflix SmartDNS worked as a charm for me for a while (getting the Swiss offer), however, today it's stopped working, showing "Unfortunately streaming is not permitted in this country. Apparently, you are outside your country's borders".

 

Neither does it seem to be working via Getflix VPN, I have just done a quick test, although I do appear with an IP as if I were based in Zurich.

 

I received previously an email from Zattoo which was confirming I was considered as a user in Switzerland.

 

Any one else experiencing the same issue?

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FraMunich said:

Zattoo Premium on AFTV via Getflix SmartDNS worked as a charm for me for a while (getting the Swiss offer), however, today it's stopped working, showing "Unfortunately streaming is not permitted in this country. Apparently, you are outside your country's borders".

 

Neither does it seem to be working via Getflix VPN, I have just done a quick test, although I do appear with an IP as if I were based in Zurich.

 

I received previously an email from Zattoo which was confirming I was considered as a user in Switzerland.

 

Any one else experiencing the same issue?

 

Yes, we are having the same problem here, it looks like zattoo has caught onto the Getflix DNS. I have been in contact with Getflix last night and they are trying to fix this. So at the moment I am still hoping...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I opened a support ticket on the Getflix website this morning and had a quick answer:

"We apologize for the inconveniences, As of the moment, we are already aware of the said issue for Zattoo and we are now in contact with our network engineers to resolve the issue as soon as they can.
We will leave your ticket open so that we can get back to you easily for updates. We apologize for the inconvenience and we appreciate your understanding."

Luckily the BBC player still works with the Getflix DNS, that's something.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charleston said:

I opened a support ticket on the Getflix website this morning and had a quick answer:

"We apologize for the inconveniences, As of the moment, we are already aware of the said issue for Zattoo and we are now in contact with our network engineers to resolve the issue as soon as they can.
We will leave your ticket open so that we can get back to you easily for updates. We apologize for the inconvenience and we appreciate your understanding."

Luckily the BBC player still works with the Getflix DNS, that's something.

Thanks Charleston!

Could you please keep us posted on further updates from Getflix?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now