Zattoo limiting VPN and DNS access

67 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I just got an email from Zattoo about the fact that I bought the subscription in Germany but use the Swiss version. 

Zattoo has confirmed that they will start blocking DNS user...

Pants...

Hi,

I use zattoo the same way and I did not get the email at all. But I read about this by chance. I have written to zattoo now to see what is happening. Any idea what to use instead? Cannot be without English TV, even though I am German, german TV is so bad...

3 hours ago, Charleston said:

Hi,

I use zattoo the same way and I did not get the email at all. But I read about this by chance. I have written to zattoo now to see what is happening. Any idea what to use instead? Cannot be without English TV, even though I am German, german TV is so bad...

I live in Berlin and know some people who work at Zattoo so I will ask what the deal is. 

TVPlayer works with DNS but it doesn't offer as many channels, no recall and no HD. It an alternative but a bad one

Thanks I am looking forward as to what other people will do.

I have had a reply from tattoo and they said that they will eventuell block VPN and Smart DNS, however Getflix said to contact them if tattoo does not work and they will make it work again...

I got an email from zattoo.  It says:

Hello, 

In the next few weeks we are planning to expand our service. We are also preparing for the new law on cross-border portability, which will come into force in all EU countries in 2018. This means we have to clearly assign a specific country to every Zattoo user.

Based on your usage patterns, we have identified you as a Zattoo user in Germany.

Nothing will change for your day-to-day use in Germany. For licensing reasons, you will not be able to see these TV channels when abroad – as usual – but now you will not be able to see the channels from Zattoo offers in other countries either.

We will send you information about the improvements to the product as soon as possible. Stay tuned!

We hope you continue to enjoy using Zattoo
Your Zattoo team

PS: Please note that Zattoo does not support the use of VPNs.

So.. what does that mean to the end users??

If you look at the UK channels line up.... its either Welsh or News TV...   

Would you need to get a Swiss VPN to enjoy the BBC offerings?

Is it time to change to a dedicated UK VPN and a SkyNow box?  

Filmon with the Subscription or Catchup tv...   or one of the many other IPTV solutions..?

I only use zattoo to watch German TV and I don't even use it a lot so nothing changes for me.  I used to watch FilmOn when it was free but I'm not ready to pay for it.

2 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

So.. what does that mean to the end users??

If you look at the UK channels line up... its either Welsh or News TV...   

Would you need to get a Swiss VPN to enjoy the BBC offerings?

Is it time to change to a dedicated UK VPN and a SkyNow box?  

Filmon with the Subscription or Catchup tv...   or one of the many other IPTV solutions..?

I got a different email. I was identified as a user who purchased a Spanish sub (for €29 a year, was good while it lasted) but who predominantly uses the Swiss servers.

Anyway...you always needed a smart DNS or Swiss VPN to access the Swiss content which includes everything (German HAD like RTL as well as the UK FTA channels).

Currently it doesn't matter in which country you were when you subscribed to Zattoo. An account was an account. Accessing Zattoo in different countries provided the local content, hence lots of people (like me) bought the dirt cheap €29 Spanish sub using a Spanish VPN and used smart DNS to access the Swiss content.

Now you have to take out a Swiss sub at CHF95 to retain access to the Swiss content. A bit dearer but not a deal breaker.

This will work fine until they actively try to block smart DNS services and VPNs. They say they will start this next year. Who knows how aggressively they will pursue this policy. I'll take a chance on it. You could always take the CHF10 monthly sub if you are very concerned about losing a portion of the annual sub if they start blocking.

The thing is, if you can become a "Swiss customer" then from 2018 it seems you will be able to access your Swiss content anywhere in the EU without a VPN. 

23 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I got a different email. I was identified as a user who purchased a Spanish sub (for €29 a year, was good while it lasted) but who predominantly uses the Swiss servers.

Anyway...you always needed a smart DNS or Swiss VPN to access the Swiss content which includes everything (German HAD like RTL as well as the UK FTA channels).

Currently it doesn't matter in which country you were when you subscribed to Zattoo. An account was an account. Accessing Zattoo in different countries provided the local content, hence lots of people (like me) bought the dirt cheap €29 Spanish sub using a Spanish VPN and used smart DNS to access the Swiss content.

Now you have to take out a Swiss sub at CHF95 to retain access to the Swiss content. A bit dearer but not a deal breaker.

This will work fine until they actively try to block smart DNS services and VPNs. They say they will start this next year. Who knows how aggressively they will pursue this policy. I'll take a chance on it. You could always take the CHF10 monthly sub if you are very concerned about losing a portion of the annual sub if they start blocking.

The thing is, if you can become a "Swiss customer" then from 2018 it seems you will be able to access your Swiss content anywhere in the EU without a VPN. 

We did not get an email at all from zattoo, we had a technical problem and I saw this on the support site. We have always subscribed to the Swiss one, never knew about the cheaper Spanish one, and are using a Smart DNS with Getflix. I wrote to both zattoo and Getflix, and zattoo is being a bit vague, but Getflix seems to think they can unblock the blockage from zattoo.

I don't understand how you can become a Swiss customer if your address is in Germany?

I'm watching Zattoo on the fire TV via getflix right now. The android app also works. I've had no service interruption. You sure it's not something else? 

The assignment of user to country should have no effect until the 5th of this month, according to the email they sent.

1 minute ago, murphaph said:

I'm watching Zattoo on the fire TV via getflix right now. The android app also works. I've had no service interruption. You sure it's not something else? 

The assignment of user to country should have no effect until the 5th of this month, according to the email they sent.

Oh I am sorry about the confusion, we had a problem with the app not starting on the Apple TV, but that was easily rectified by cancelling the app and then putting it back on and while I wanted to look for that solution I saw about the topic on the support page. Zattoo is working fine here too at the moment...

Ah ok. I presume you got no mail because you are already considered a Swiss customer and for you nothing will change in theory. I've cancelled my Spanish sub and taken out a Swiss one this morning. They gave me a 3 month voucher for the Swiss service, so I don't really lose any money on the deal...just have to pay the full Swiss price from January on.

Just now, murphaph said:

Ah ok. I presume you got no mail because you are already considered a Swiss customer and for you nothing will change in theory. I've cancelled my Spanish sub and taken out a Swiss one this morning. They gave me a 3 month voucher for the Swiss service, so I don't really lose any money on the deal...just have to pay the full Swiss price from January on.

I see, but if it was so then nothing should really change on the 5th, shouldn't it? Well I hope so anyway...

Which other services do you mean? Nothing really quite as good as zattoo with the 7 days backwards and 14 days ahead and saving 500 shows...