Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Opodo Aeroflot, wrong name on ticket

13 posts in this topic

Late last night but sadly before midnight I booked a ticket on opodo.de return Moscow Brussels, and because my brsain wasn't switched on put my name as passenger not the lady who should fly. I realised my mistake when I got the conformation Email.

Opodo clearly states that you cancel a reservation the same day it was made. But only by telephone. 

So I called Opodo first thing this morning, and they said I cannot change the name and will get zero refund if I cancel, because it's not the same day.

Probably I have to just buy a new ticket and swallow the cost a but under Euro 400.

But if anybody has any brilliant idea, relevant experience, or just a whinge about the lack of logic in offerring same day cancellation knowing that many people book tickets in the evening when their phones will not be operating until the next day, when they will invoke the must be same day rule.

I contacted Aeroflot's agents in Brussels and they took all day to say no.

After that I Emailed lady in Moscow to contact Aeroflot, and they told her to tell me to cancel and get a refund from travel agent.

You should try and request a change of the name on the ticket, rather than cancelling the ticket completely.

There is normally a fee, but this will be cheaper than booking a whole new ticket.

According to this;

https://www.transfertravel.com/blog-posts/european-airlines-name-change-policies/

Name changes are possible with Aeroflot with a fee dependant on your original ticket

Try this link:  https://www.aeroflot.ru/feedback/questions/ticket/surname

or call them.

16 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

But if anybody has any brilliant idea,

Dont try and buy a ticket whilst drunk for any chick on "Cheap Russian brides.com "

I wasn't drunk and met her 5 years ago in India, but thanks for your kind advice.

@dj_jay_smith That's an interesting link. Unfortunately Aeroflot probably doesn't feel bound by such information on a website. I'd happily pay the fee.

I looked at the name change link and it's only to change your surname

Change of surname is only possible if there is an official document confirming such changes

Presumably such document would be a marriage or adoption certificate.

I think you may need some legal backup (Verbraucherzentralle), the term 'same day' sounds very vague in this day and age.
Applying the meaning 'up until midnight on the day you book' may be a bit vague to be enforceable.

There may also be other consumer laws that may come in to play, just because Opodo and Aeroflot say tough, doesn't mean they are right (although in this case I think Aeroflot are out of the game as your contract/purchase is with Opodo).

I called the Verbraucherzentrale Hamburg. Opodo is based in Hamburg. The Rechtsberaters don't work Fridays, but if they did I should call a 0900 number which I cannot do while out of the country, even with a German mobile.

Oh, maybe you can do the call through Skype!

You have to put some money (as in 10 Euros or so) on Skype via PayPal to cover the local call costs in the destination country (toll free numbers might cost a little this way, but very moderate). I do that all the time to the US. This makes your international call look local. :)

German 0900 might not work though, but it's worth a try.

(And don't let the trolls faze you, I know what's going on.)

opodo is merely in intermediary in this transaction. Ultimately you'll have to convince Aeroflot to make the change. Airline tickets (and other travel services) are exempt from distance billing laws. Apparently they don't have to allow you any correction period at all.

If they are unwilling to change the name on the ticket for you, even for a fee, you might be SOL.

Sorry.

On 22/09/2017, 10:14:36, MadAxeMurderer said:

Presumably such document would be a marriage or adoption certificate.

Not necessarily.  I once booked a ticket over the phone for my myself and my girlfriend of the time.  The airline agent totally misspelt her name, to the extent that it was not recognisable!  Once I got the tickets and saw the problem I then got it changed to the correct name, they charged me for this but I later wrote in and explained that it was their fault and got my money back.

So it is worth a go.