Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Food allergies - where to eat?

33 posts in this topic

My partner and I are visiting Frankfurt (or possibly Wiesbaden, Mainz, or Bad Homburg) this weekend and we are looking for restaurant suggestions - unfortunately she cannot have sugar, wheat/gluten or dairy, so are looking for restaurants that would be able to cater for that. 

We've found that lots of UK restaurants struggle with the "no added sugar" part especially! 

Many thanks :)

Food allergies - where to eat?

Answer is - at home!!!!

I am working in a restaurant and I know how it is.

I have a friend who owns a restaurant and if you were to ask him, if he's there himself, he might take care but if one of his helpers are doing it, they don't.  It's happened that people have ordered something without something and got it anyway because the guy in the kitchen didn't bother to read or simply did not notice the comments on the order.  Possibly they don't care much either.  They might figure it's just ppl's quirks and they'll never notice what's in there anyway.

Hence, better off cooking yourself at home.

Search google for "steakhouse frankfurt"

I am pretty sure if you order plain beef, it's sugar, wheat/gluten, dairy free.

23 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

How can they "cook at home" if they are just visiting? Perhaps they are staying in a hotel.

Perhaps they are staying with friends or in an apartment.  But in case they are staying in a hotel, I'd go with steak.

1 hour ago, LeonG said:

I have a friend who owns a restaurant and if you were to ask him, if he's there himself, he might take care but if one of his helpers are doing it, they don't.  It's happened that people have ordered something without something and got it anyway because the guy in the kitchen didn't bother to read or simply did not notice the comments on the order.  Possibly they don't care much either.  They might figure it's just ppl's quirks and they'll never notice what's in there anyway.

Hence, better off cooking yourself at home.

Cooking yourself at home? That sounds painful, Leon!:D

Most restaurants could probably manage a salad with no dressing. That and grilled meat or fish (as long as they hold the butter) could probably be requested.

To op- what do you normally eat? ask for grilled chicken, steak , no butter. Salad and hold the dressing, ( oh memories of "" Easy Rider"!)

what about Chinese- Tofu dishes, fish?

12 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I hope she is not a vegetarian on top :).

If that's the case, I certainly can recommend "Hojjati Houshang", they've got the best (leaving the original Italian ones aside) vegetarian, gluten-free, sugar-free, wheat-free, non-dairy ice cubes (albeit, only in 3kg sacks)...

Here is the address:

Hojjati Houshang Freie Tankstelle  

Raimundstr. 28

60431 Frankfurt 

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Sushi without rice.

That doesn't make sense. Sushi is rice. Maybe you mean Sashimi.

3 minutes ago, Smaug said:

The OP doesn't mention rice as an ingredient to avoid.

Is not sushi rice prepared with (a little) sugar though ...?

@snowingagain Yes, sugar, salt and vinegar are additives of sushi, but I'd consider the amount of added sugar to be negligible.

Additionally, even if the rice were cooked without added sugar, the starch in rice starts becoming sugar as soon as it's chewed, as human saliva contains amylase, an enzyme that catalyzes the hydrolysis of starch into sugar. There's further conversion of starch into sugar in the intestine.

I am presuming the OP is avoiding sugar because she is a diabetic. If I am correct what she should look into is the glycemic index of the food she consumes, which roughly translates into how fast does the food cause blood sugar to rise. Rice, although very low in sugar, has a relatively high glycemic index because digestion can turn this starch-rich food into sugar very quickly. However, because sushi is generally consumed in small quantities, the overall effect on sugar levels might be small.

Maybe the OP could elaborate on why she cannot consume sugar?

9 minutes ago, Smaug said:

I am presuming the OP is avoiding sugar because she is a diabetic.

I suspect it is not to do with diabetes for the reasons you give.  Many people are swearing off sugar, by which I guess they would mean added glucose/sucrose/glucose/lactose, etc.