Would like to move and work in Germany, particularly in Schleswig-Holstein

56 posts in this topic

Greetings!

Im 31 years old from the Philippines and currently residing in Alberta Canada. I wish to move and work in Germany. Im a registered Nurse in the Phil. And i tried going online to find out how to get a job and where to start but im overwhelmed with the information im getting from the internet. 

I know i have to learn the language so I enrolled and will start classes at the end of the month. I thought trying and looking for a job or an employer will take me few months running and so it will work out with the schooling for language at the same time. 

I hope to hear from you guys about what you know that can help in my situation here. Thank you so much and every bit of information you will provide will be much appreciated.

Kat

14 minutes ago, Bogs said:

Im 31 years old from the Philippines and currently residing in Alberta Canada. I wish to move and work in Germany.

Why? The profession is much more respected, has more opportunities, and is better paid in Canada than Germany. 

On top of all that, you need at least B2 German. 

3 hours ago, engelchen said:

Why? The profession is much more respected, has more opportunities, and is better paid in Canada than Germany. 

On top of all that, you need at least B2 German. 

Also, according to these statistics nurses also work fewer hours in Canada: an average of 31.7 (as opposed to 39 in Germany).

http://www.worldsalaries.org/professionalnurse.shtml

It's hard to think of a reason for a nurse to move from Canada to Germany.

Thank you engelchen and smaug. My boyfriend is living there and i am the one who needed to adjust for the moment with the situation. 

Im not a fullfedge nurse yet here in Canada but thinking to get it when i get the chance to move there :)

On 19/09/2017, 12:03:02, Bogs said:

My boyfriend is living there and i am the one who needed to adjust for the moment with the situation. 

Why can't he move to Canada?

Im not a fullfedge nurse yet here in Canada but thinking to get it when i get the chance to move there :)

Are you also a Canadian citizen? I don't recommend moving here, however, if you have your heart set on it, make sure to apply fir Canadian citizenship first. 

I'd strongly recommend reading this thread as well :

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/165875-canadian-education-useless-in-germany/?do=findComment&comment=3605106

When you do qualify, and gain experience, you will need to have your qualifications assessed by German State nursing.

Do use TT search function and key in words/ sentences. Also check German Government website on moving to Germany.

You could contact  some nursing agencies in Canada. Some  advertise international posts, and they may have advice / info for you.

In fact, a quick Google search throws up several posts- nurses needed in Germany.!!;)

But it is true- nursing in Canada  will not prepare you for German hospitals! 

Still, nurses are known for adaptilibty! Good luck.

Engelchen, Redmidge and Bobbylines thank you so much for replying here. Truly i appreciate you guys. 

My boyfriend have 2 children that he cannot live away from them yet (7 years old, twins) which i understand.

Im enrolled in A1 German Language now. And yes i checked every feed the google is providing that might help. 

I probably will get my citizenship by next year Feb hopefully. Thank you so much guys and regards. Ill do your advices.

What citizenship are you talking about? For German- that requires residency for several years in Germany plus other requirements, and you are not even in Germany yet!

Redmidge, I mean canadian citizenship like im trying to address engelchen's comment.

3 hours ago, Bogs said:

Engelchen, Redmidge and Bobbylines thank you so much for replying here. Truly i appreciate you guys. 

My boyfriend have 2 children that he cannot live away from them yet (7 years old, twins) which i understand.

Im enrolled in A1 German Language now. And yes i checked every feed the google is providing that might help. 

I probably will get my citizenship by next year Feb hopefully. Thank you so much guys and regards. Ill do your advices.

I second getting your citizenship first before you think about leaving.  That way, you always have the option of going back.  Learning German now in order to prepare yourself is a good idea.  Once you know a bit, you can start looking for jobs.  From what I've heard, there is a shortage of nurses but I don't know how licensing here works. 

Nurses in Germany are more like orderlies. They're paid poorly and often overworked. Talk to your boyfriend about other jobs you might be qualified for. Also have him look into the process of getting your qualifications recognized in S-H. 

I am friends with several Krankenpfleger here in Germany. Krankenpfleger are overworked and receive low pay. One of my friends has been working in the profession for 12 years and earns 2000€ net. Another for 5 years and they earn 1700€ net. They make jokes all the time about how they spend each day wiping butts.

Those who are willing to take night shifts earn more, but you would be working each day from either the unholy hours early in the morning until the afternoon or the afternoon until about 9pm at night.

This is a profession for people who do not attend university in Germany and it's hard work. That's why there is always a lack of Krankenpfleger and private businesses (homes for the elderly, etc.) and hospitals are constantly looking for new people.

Do you really want to move to a country where you don't speak the language (and won't fluently for a long time), have no support other than your boyfriend, earn much less money and work in a profession you are probably overqualified for? Is your future with this man worth it? 

11 hours ago, Bogs said:

Redmidge, I mean canadian citizenship like im trying to address engelchen's comment.

You say you  are not yet qualified- when do you qualify?

Learn German-   patients do not want to listen to a nurse who cannot communicate well in their own language.

Do you have any  special interest in specialties.? In some areas, such as OR, you may find it easier. Most  MDs speak English, and no pesky  awake patients!!

I have experience of nursing in several countries, including Canada,  and   agree with the comment about the differences here.   Several UK friends took contracts here, and found they cannot use many of their skills. Canadian nurses have even more skills, and you would not be able to use them.

Just some points to think about, while researching.

There is a new job called "Arztassistent" which might be more comparable to that of a nurse with university education. They are between a physician and a nurse on the hierarchy ladder. You might want to check this.

15 minutes ago, jeba said:

There is a new job called "Arztassistent" which might be more comparable to that of a nurse with university education. They are between a physician and a nurse on the hierarchy ladder. You might want to check this.

Good point. OP- Canada also has a Doctor's Assistant course and role. So , check your options, although this would be a post graduate course.

Hello guys, thank you for the information and your ideas are greatly appreciated. Ive been living here in canada for 5 years now and hopefully will get my citizenship next year February 2018. 

I will sure look into everything that you put in here to help me. I am not really after the salary right now, im more of having a job for the moment and will take it from there. I had this site read a little bit its called  "make-it-in-germany.com", its all saying there to have a knowledge about the language and get the level a2 for basic requirement if you arent applying to a professional kind of job. 

I have 4 years experience back in the philippines as medical-surgical Nurse so i think i can get into a special area like OR when i get into the point of really upgrading my education in Germany. 

Thank you so much again and regards to everybody :)

Moving to a new country, learning a new language, and, possibly, working a low-paying job for awhile is a lot of sacrifice for a beau. Just be aware of this- if you have a child with him in Germany and later separate, you won't be able to take the child outside of Germany with you. 

Best of luck, and I hope it works out for you. Just don't overlook the pitfalls. 

None of us went into nursing expecting to be millionaires! It was never about the money. 

Sounds like you are planning well and researching. Best of luck to you!