How to find household assistance for daily tasks

31 posts in this topic

I'm looking for this as well for my in-laws - they both have health issues, so until now they have been very self-supporting, but they can no longer carry things up and down the stairs, stand for more than 10 minutes at a time, carry anything more than 5kg, etc etc.  Does anyone know what the proper steps are to apply for assistance?  Im presuming the krankenkasse will pay for it, but  how to get started?  They don't need medical assistance (assuming my Father in law doesn't break another hip) but they need assistance for cooking and cleaning

My FIL is 96 and on his own. The Krankenkasse won't pay for any kind of help. Not even cleaning every 2 weeks. I wish you luck.

"Maid" is a tad old fashioned!! Maybe you and partner can search for a company that supplies household help. 

Rather than presuming their  kasse will pay(  doubt it unless there are serious health issues), have you checked what their health insurance covers?

Another question- if they are becoming elderly and frail, maybe their current  housing needs some assessment.

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments.

She's in chemo treatment for cancer and he's got a brand new hip replacement and permanent dizziness from a stroke. :( 
Sorry, Maid is part of the original post and I can't change it.  I wouldn't call them a maid, more like  household assistance.  
She usually takes care of everything, but of course right now they are not doing well now since she can't do anything and he can't really either.  

My partner and I are trying to gather information so that we can be prepared in case we have to jump in to assist, but nobody seems to know including my in laws, and they are firm in the belief that they can do it all themselves, although they have already demonstrated that they can't.

She's in chemo treatment for cancer and he's got a brand new hip replacement and permanent dizziness from a stroke. :( 

They can apply to be accessed for a Pflegegrad

My partner and I are trying to gather information so that we can be prepared in case we have to jump in to assist

https://www.verbraucherzentrale.de/wissen/gesundheit-pflege/pflegeantrag-und-leistungen/pflegegrad-beantragen-so-gehts-13413

https://www.stmgp.bayern.de/pflege/pflegestuetzpunkte/

7 hours ago, fraufruit said:

My FIL is 96 and on his own. The Krankenkasse won't pay for any kind of help. Not even cleaning every 2 weeks. I wish you luck.

We have the same problem with a relative - even Pflegestufe 1 doesn't really help here.

On 9/18/2017, 7:07:38, fraufruit said:

Don't use the term "maid".

And what ever you do, don't use the word "servant"!

1 hour ago, Lavender Rain said:

And what ever you do, don't use the word "servant"!

Household management administrator?

If you go for the pflegestufe antrag, you should tell them they need to show their abilities on a bad day when they are assessed, not try their hardest to look fit.  We did this for my mom and she was very fit on that day and was running around the house like nobody's business.  My sister and I were saying, erm, she's usually not like this but anyway, it wasn't in Germany and she did get all the help she needed.  If you go with a pflegedienst, they can probably give you tips on how to prepare for the assessment.

If you decide to pay someone privately, you should ask around in your community if somebody can recommend someone for this.  You could go for ebay kleinanzeige or put up a notice in the store but you don't want to end up with someone who robs them blind.  Also for that reason, if you hire someone, ask to see their ID and take a photo.

12 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Household management administrator?

Chief of Household Management Operations :)

Or Executive in Charge of Household Management