How to find household assistance for daily tasks

31 posts in this topic

I m lving in Nürnberg and searching for a maid who can help in daily activities like washing clothes, cleaning and cooking etc.

place an ad or look for an ad on the message board at places like Budni, DM, or Aldi, Lidl...etc.

:lol::lol:

I was, Lisa, but the maid wasn´t!

Actually, I remember being on a bus when I was around 22 in Peru or somewhere and got talking to an elderly English lady living there  who told me she needed help with her household stuff. I remember thinking " colonial , imperialistic xxxxxx ". My God, now I´m moving on age-wise and I get tired quickly and I see how even older people in our village here need help and can´t afford it..ah well...

Oh it's so true.  I accidentally got into cleaning/helping some elderly women through referrals (mostly existing clients' moms - strangely no dads) and yeah.  Having some basic help with cleaning and shopping, etc. can mean the difference between a nursing home and making it a few more years on your own :(

And they were so cool - one of them was among the first female OB/GYNs in the US!  She was a bit evil, actually, but always very nice to me.

2 hours ago, john g. said:

I remember thinking " colonial , imperialistic xxxxxx "

My sister was of the same opinion, and the when she worked for a while in the middle east and realised that if she didn't employ the cleaner, she'd have to sack her, and her grand gesture would cost someone's livelihood, she knuckled under and got on with it.

As with so many of these things, our simple convictions turn out to be more complicated than we imagine....

I've had a maid several times (after surgery or too busy or before a party).  I've always used Betreut.de (snowingagain's link).  Have been very happy with the results. 

No silver was stolen! :lol:

If you go by German Law, as far as I know you can:

1. Contact a company that has cleaning/housekeeping workers and send them to you.

2. Hire someone, but only as a Mini-jobber, which means they cannot make more then 450 Euros a month. If you do that you also have to register them at the Mini-Job Office and pay a small fee to do so.

If you don't have a company per se you cannot as a private individual hire someone on a part-time or full-time basis.

On ‎18‎.‎09‎.‎2017‎ ‎17‎:‎31‎:‎49, Arvindbatra said:

I m lving in Nürnberg and searching for a maid who can help in daily activities like washing clothes, cleaning and cooking etc.

Coming from a fellow Countryman i can understand where you are coming from on this one...let me tell you something.."Maid" here are nothing as you might imagine from our home. And as a someone said domestic help is a more appropriate word..

washing clothes >> washing machine!

Cleaning >> get a good mop and a vaccum cleaner...

Cooking >> DIY or a good old place called Restaurant...or there are many Indian Tiffin Services who home deliver the Food!

for a fraction of a cost of hiring a maid..!

15 hours ago, germanyherewecome said:

If you don't have a company per se you cannot as a private individual hire someone on a part-time or full-time basis.

What are you saying? Any private individual can hire anyone who is offering their services for a fee. One doesn't need a business license to have a putzfrau.