Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ryanair cancel 40-50 flights per day

44 posts in this topic

They are giving people only a day or so notice before giving notice of cancellation.  Their website lists flights including tomorrow and Sept. 20th, after that, anyone's guess. 

It sure shows they do not care about the travelling public if they are willing to just say sorry guys, MAYBE you're flight will get cancelled, too bad we're going to wait until just before travel time to tell you. 

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the BBC...

 

As a side line to the Ryan Air story, the relevant and important issues for ANY DELAY IN FLIGHT you take are...

The EU compensation rules for cancelled flights are as follows:

Passengers are entitled to assistance and compensation, if the disruption was within an airline's control.
Airlines have to offer full refunds, paid within seven days, or rebookings for a flight cancelled at short notice.
In addition, passengers can also claim compensation.
Cancellation amounts are: 250 euros (£218) for short-haul, 440 euros (£384) for medium-haul and 600 euros (£523) for long-haul.
Passengers who reach their destination more than three hours late can be compensated from 200 to 600 euros, depending on the length of flights and delay.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, apparently a full list has been produced, and they have up-front agreed to all that stuff spidey posted. 'Our' flights are unaffected, thank goodness.

 

Cock-up really doesn't cover it....although it might cover Luke's post...;)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My sister is supposed to be flying over to look after the kids as my husband and I have business trips that overlap.  We use Ryanair, as you can fly direct to the UK from Bremen.  Otherwise you have to go to Hamburg or Hannover, or change in Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt or Munich.  So only a few days to go and sure enough they have cancelled her flight.  I nearly managed to change it to the same flight 24 hours later but at the very last step when it says 'Bestätigen' it just wouldn't work.  I tried again - it wanted me to change the seats, and again got to 'Bestätigen' and it wouldn't work.  Now I can't get past 'Flug ändern'.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sluzup have you tried contacting them using the "chat" button on their website? I've used that before for a booking difficulty (admittedly before this chaos) and whilst I couldn't call it overwhelming customer service they did actually fix the issue :)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't this whole scenario somewhat coincidental given that next Monday the fate of Airberlin will be announced which has been highly contested by Michael O'Leary.

 

I can't help but think there's another motive or some other underlying reason for this move given how much this will cost them in compensation claims and the hit to their share price.

 

Ryanair has always benefited from negative advertising so where will this take them now?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

Isn't this whole scenario somewhat coincidental given that next Monday the fate of Airberlin will be announced which has been highly contested by Michael O'Leary.

 

I can't help but think there's another motive or some other underlying reason for this move given how much this will cost them in compensation claims and the hit to their share price.

 

Ryanair has always benefited from negative advertising so where will this take them now?

There is some speculation about that. Apparently, if Air Berlin runs out of money and has to shut down before a proper takeover is achieved, their takeoff and landing slots (which is their most valuable asset right now) are immediately offered to other airlines - but only airlines that can service them immediately. They think O'Leary might want to have a bunch of planes in reserve if that happens, so he can swoop in and pick them up.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Prosie said:

sluzup have you tried contacting them using the "chat" button on their website? I've used that before for a booking difficulty (admittedly before this chaos) and whilst I couldn't call it overwhelming customer service they did actually fix the issue :)

Hi Prosie. Thanks for your reply.

The chat only works in office hours, so I couldn't do that last night. I tried to book again this morning, also tried the chat and it didn't work, but then it started popping up for a couple of seconds. I would type a few letters and then the form would disappear again.  Then I noticed that what I had typed was still there, so I typed the last details into an email, and the next time it popped up, I quickly pasted and I was in.  68th in the queue and estimated 78 mins waiting time. In the end, I waited an hour and finally got through and they were able to change the flight to the same flight 24 hours later. I am feeling very lucky.  I was at work, and could just check on the queue now and again.  Must be awful for those who are travelling and trying to get home.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi sluzup, glad it worked for you. My experience with the chat was similar - having to type elsewhere and paste in. And my wait time turned out to be much less than the estimate so I'm glad I kept an eye on the queue. They tell you to leave your sound on so you hear a bleep when they reply, but I guess that might be awkward at work. Strangely enough. I think it was a Sunday evening I used it and when I clicked the chat button I got a message saying it was only available office hours, but I entered my message anyway and got a reply!

 

I'm flying with ryanair in a couple of days and my heart sank when I got a message from them this morning. But it was only to tell me that check-in is closing much earlier than normal and I have to be at the airport early and allow lots of extra time. Preferable to cancellation!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Prosie said:

...and I have to be at the airport early and allow lots of extra time.
 

 

... sponsored by the cafes at your locat airport who are hoping to sell you expensive drinks during your long wait.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The people most affected are thise who are waiting to fly home, some flights got cancelled just before boarding. Sure everyone is ranting g saying they’ll never fly Raynair again. Untill the next time when they want a cheap fl. that's what they’re counting on

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But it is not just about the flights being cheap.  I can fly direct from Bremen to the UK with Ryanair.  The main alternative to Ryanair from Bremen is KLM.  Last week my husband flew to the UK with KLM.  He had a 9 hour delay at Amsterdam on the way.  On the way back his flight to Amsterdam was 30 mins late, which meant that he just missed his connection and had to stay the night.  And it's not the first time that has happened to him. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that this isn't really a "you get what you pay for" situation. It could happen to anyone. Look at the problems Lufthansa, Air France, British Airways and Air Berlin have had. Airlines have problems. Ryanair was bound to have one sooner or later. Hopefully they come through this OK.

It's happened to me on a couple of occasions (snow chaos) where Ryanair have flown but British Airways and the like have not.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

The people most affected are thise who are waiting to fly home, some flights got cancelled just before boarding. Sure everyone is ranting g saying they’ll never fly Raynair again. Untill the next time when they want a cheap fl. that's what they’re counting on

Anyone can be affected by a flight delay, but the systematic stranding of people by canceling scheduled flights for no apparent reason (other than some vague "wanting to improve on-time performance") is almost criminal and deserves to be heavily sanctioned.

 

As to "saying they'll never fly Ryanair again": around 15 years ago, my wife and I were supposed to fly from Schönefeld to London, to see a Robbie Williams appearance in connection with London Fashion Week. The trip was a birthday present. We planned to be at the airport 2 hours ahead of time, but due to Deutsche Bahn leaving an entire S-Bahn train stopped between stations for over an hour, we ultimately got to the Schönefeld S-Bahn about 35 minutes before the scheduled departure time, or 5 minutes before they closed the gate. I literally sprinted the 1.2 kilometers to the terminal (my wife followed at a brisk pace with our suitcase) and arrived at the counter just in time to see the Ryanair employee put up a "Check-in closed" sign in my face. I quickly said that our train was delayed, and that there were at least 20 other people on the train with us - several of whom arrived as I was arguing with the woman - and could they please re-open the check-in under those circumstances.

 

She said we'd have to take it up with the operations manager, who was on the first floor of terminal B (we were on the ground floor of terminal A). So like a bad Keystone Cops movie, we all run to the escalator and over to terminal B, asking everyone we could if they knew where the Ryanair operations manager's office was located. Person after person just shook their heads and shrugged their shoulders, but the 8th person we asked said, no, of course he's not here, he's on the ground floor next to terminal A. It turns out the dumb bitch gave us wrong directions just to get us out of her hair, and the operations manager was actually right next door to the counters (she sent us running in the opposite direction).

 

In any case, by the time the now 20-strong mob of people had found and stormed the operations manager's office, demanding that he let us on the flight, he simply threw up his hands and declared that the plane had already backed away from the gate, so there was nothing else he could do.

 

The only other flight that would have gotten us to London in time for the concert was on BA, flying from Tegel, which cost €450 each. So we ended up eating the concert tickets and missing out on the trip. Our only consolation was that we managed to cancel the hotel reservation without penalty and also got our flights mostly refunded since most of the price was tax and they hadn't implemented their refund handling fees yet.

 

We still refuse to fly with them to this day.

 

tl;dr: Fuck Ryanair. Fuck them right in the ass.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Anyone can be affected by a flight delay, but the systematic stranding of people by canceling scheduled flights for no apparent reason (other than some vague "wanting to improve on-time performance") is almost criminal and deserves to be heavily sanctioned.

 

As to "saying they'll never fly Ryanair again": around 15 years ago, my wife and I were supposed to fly from Schönefeld to London, to see a Robbie Williams appearance in connection with London Fashion Week. The trip was a birthday present. We planned to be at the airport 2 hours ahead of time, but due to Deutsche Bahn leaving an entire S-Bahn train stopped between stations for over an hour, we ultimately got to the Schönefeld S-Bahn about 35 minutes before the scheduled departure time, or 5 minutes before they closed the gate. I literally sprinted the 1.2 kilometers to the terminal (my wife followed at a brisk pace with our suitcase) and arrived at the counter just in time to see the Ryanair employee put up a "Check-in closed" sign in my face. I quickly said that our train was delayed, and that there were at least 20 other people on the train with us - several of whom arrived as I was arguing with the woman - and could they please re-open the check-in under those circumstances.

 

She said we'd have to take it up with the operations manager, who was on the first floor of terminal B (we were on the ground floor of terminal A). So like a bad Keystone Cops movie, we all run to the escalator and over to terminal B, asking everyone we could if they knew where the Ryanair operations manager's office was located. Person after person just shook their heads and shrugged their shoulders, but the 8th person we asked said, no, of course he's not here, he's on the ground floor next to terminal A. It turns out the dumb bitch gave us wrong directions just to get us out of her hair, and the operations manager was actually right next door to the counters (she sent us running in the opposite direction).

 

In any case, by the time the now 20-strong mob of people had found and stormed the operations manager's office, demanding that he let us on the flight, he simply threw up his hands and declared that the plane had already backed away from the gate, so there was nothing else he could do.

 

The only other flight that would have gotten us to London in time for the concert was on BA, flying from Tegel, which cost €450 each. So we ended up eating the concert tickets and missing out on the trip. Our only consolation was that we managed to cancel the hotel reservation without penalty and also got our flights mostly refunded since most of the price was tax and they hadn't implemented their refund handling fees yet.

 

We still refuse to fly with them to this day.

 

tl;dr: Fuck Ryanair. Fuck them right in the ass.

But you still take S-Bahns, right?

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, arsenal21 said:

But you still take S-Bahns, right?

Not when I can avoid it, actually. And given that S-Bahn staff do not tend to be intentionally malicious or misleading, I don't see where the two cases are equivalent.

 

Do you work for Ryanair, by chance?

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0