English for kids self-employment opportunities

8 posts in this topic

Hello!

I've considered offering English lessons for kids and or English daycare service but am wondering about details because I have the impression there are a lot of possibly complicated details surrounding this. For example, what is the difference between the tasks and qualifications of Tagesmutter, Erzieher, Kinderpflegerin, Lehrerin and are there any other relevant job titles I need to distinguish between?

This is what I know so far:

- I believe I read something about if you are with the child/children for more than 15 hours then you need to have a special babysitter qualification?

- I knew a lady with an English school and whenever someone called it a "Krippe" she said very firmly, "This is NOT a Krippe", even though the learning style was basically the same as a Krippe (learning through free play, morning circle, etc.) so I think there must have been a legal reason for that or something

- there are room requirements, but I'm not sure what they are... something about windows and emergency exits?

I have a Bachelor's in Modern Languages, a TESOL certificate and 10+ years teaching experience (5 years with kids), and am wondering what routes I have that do not involve many more years of study and aren't too complicated to realize. Also the room requirements are a big concern of mine and would be good to know.

The path of least resistance would be offering English lessons on a freelance basis to a group of children or babysitting one family's kid(s). Although I am neither an English teacher nor do I have any formal training or education as a child care provider, I've had some other parents approach me about teaching English to their kids, so there may be some demand there.

Becoming a Tagesmutter or any of those other things you listed takes a long time/has numerous bureaucratic requirements and therefore an enormous opportunity cost.

Do you have any idea what the room requirements are if I taught a small group of kids at my house?

Wouldn't approaching your local Jugendamt for advice be a good first step?

I can't imagine there wouldn't be a whole raft of child protection/insurance/health and safety etc. regulations required for running teaching out of your own or rented premises. 

You don't say how old the children would be, whether parents would be present, how long you envisage sessions to be, all factors that would make a difference.

There's plenty of demand for English tutoring, which is usually done either at the child's house or on the premises of a Nachhilfe company who would then be responsible for all the regulatory stuff.

Beware of using job titles for which you are not officially qualified, e.g. Lehrerin. Professionally qualified teachers from the UK or USA are not necessarily regarded as qualified teachers here for example. Same goes for Erzieherin. And regulations vary from state to state.

If you join you local English Language Teacher's Association (for Munich it's melta.de). you can make contact with other teachers of young learners and they can tell you exactly what you'll need to do to get started.

ML Munich, since I don't teach or do any of the other things you've mentioned, I have no idea what the specific requirements are, but I'd also talk to a Steuerberater who has experience with teachers as clients since they would be able to assist you in planning your write-offs and other assorted issues you'll encounter. The reason I mentioned babysitting is that you presumably wouldn't be subjected to the mandatory pension contributions faced by a teacher and presumably could only take on clients who want you to babysit in their homes.

Disclaimer: Nothing in this post should be construed as business, tax, accounting, or financial advice. Please consult licensed experts for that.

@MLmunich did you ever make any headway with this? I am considering the same thing...there are a few parents at my daughter's Kita that have "mentioned in passing" how nice it would be to have an English "chat group" for kids....nothing too formal, but wouldn't want it to be free....