Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pregnant flatmate wants me to leave the apartment

14 posts in this topic

My flatmate (also an expat) is currently in the 7th month of her pregnancy. She has been living in Germany for the past 4-5 years and her job is in a high salary scale. The father lives abroad and is unwilling to help in any way. For the past few months she has been trying to move to a new apartment for more privacy and space, but finding an apartment in this area is extremely difficult and/or expensive. It also does not help that she is pregnant and it shows. She claims she has extended the apartment search area.

The problem is that she has been told from the social services that in order to get benefits after she gives birth, she will need to have an apartment contract on her name only (note: there is a significant probability that she missed something because of the language barrier). This is a new parameter for me, I only heard it from her yesterday. I have also been trying to find a place to move with my girlfriend and her two children, with very little success so far. Therefore, the only option for me at the moment is to stay right here (we are still in a transitional phase with her children and there is not enough space in her place, so I can't move in).

My flatmate proposed an "informal" agreement of transferring the contract 100% to her name and living where I am currently unofficially. I am not comfortable at all with the idea of not having a housing contract, especially since we quarrelled a bit in the last few months and I have learned to trust only written agreements in Germany (thanks TT).

Could somebody answer these questions?

1) She claims she will get no benefits if she goes back to her country. Is this true? In the past she said that she will just not receive enough money to cover the birth costs, so I don't know what to believe anymore. Granted, this would be hard in her current condition, but it would be important to know if this is true.

2) She claims she needs to have an apartment contract on her name only. Is this true?

3) Is there another solution that I am currently missing?

Thank you for your time and answers.

What kind of benefits is she trying to get?  If she is talking about elterngeld it would not depend on her apartment situation.  The amount will depend on how much she was making in the last 12 months before the birth.  

How much is high salary scale in your opinion?  If she is in a really high salary scale, she should get enough elterngeld that she will not need or qualify for any other benefits.   

If she's trying to get some other benefits like ALG ii / Hartz iv, her apartment situation would matter in the way that they will pay her rent and heating but her apartment may not be too big or too expensive.  If she is sharing an apartment and only paying half the rent, ARGE will only give her money for half the rent.  Another question here is her visa status.  If she's EU and has been here for 4-5 years, it shouldn't be a problem to go on benefits.  However, if she's not EU and is here on a work permit, she will probably not qualify for ALG ii.

If she leaves Germany, she may not be entitled to any benefits.  Elterngeld seems to require that she continues to live in Germany.  She may not have insurance in her home country that will cover the cost of the birth.

Your flatmate has a problem.

She wants to pass on the problem to you.

You seem to be okay with solving her problems while creating problems for yourself. Why?

Thank you very much for your answer. I was talking about Elterngeld, I had just forgotten the appropriate term.

A rough online research seems to show that you are right, she just needs to live here.

As far as I know, she made around 4k/month netto at her job. She is a citizen of another EU land.

I suppose/hope that she just misunderstood the social services. Thanks again!

Smaug, I am not interested in creating any problems for myself.

I was just asking for confirmation of her information and possibly any win-win scenarios.

37 minutes ago, FlatronL1917 said:

Thank you very much for your answer. I was talking about Elterngeld, I had just forgotten the appropriate term.

A rough online research seems to show that you are right, she just needs to live here.

As far as I know, she made around 4k/month netto at her job. She is a citizen of another EU land.

I suppose/hope that she just misunderstood the social services. Thanks again!

If she's making that much, she'd get the max amount of elterngeld which is 1800 per month plus she'd get kindergeld.  She would not qualify for any social benefits.  She may have misunderstood the social services or she may be looking for a way to get you off the rental contract so she can kick you out when it suits her.

5 minutes ago, LeonG said:

She may have misunderstood the social services or she may be looking for a way to get you off the rental contract so she can kick you out when it suits her.

Yes, this is what I meant with:

47 minutes ago, FlatronL1917 said:

I suppose/hope that she just misunderstood the social services.

Earning 4k net she was not able to find an apartment? Come on.

What did she do with all that money ?

Sex and drugs and Rock'n Roll?

I earn more than that < NATCH - no I don't.  I  misread this as gross :) > and cannot find a bigger/better apartment in munich, and it's not just about money (still true, I have more than I "need").  there is just sooooo little out there.  

as I understand it, stuttgart is also offering a very tight market.

but regardless of what she is making now, she's going to net half what she has now when she is on leave.  

11 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

My guess is she wants to push the OP out of the apartment because she wants to stay there.

indeed.  to be fair though, it sounds like he wants to leave, too, to move in with his girlfriend.

of course he should not be forced out, though.

29 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Considering her state the first part of your third question would seem to ring true.

18 hours ago, FlatronL1917 said:

1) She claims she will get no benefits if she goes back to her country. Is this true? In the past she said that she will just not receive enough money to cover the birth costs, so I don't know what to believe anymore. Granted, this would be hard in her current condition, but it would be important to know if this is true.

Yes, if she leaves Germany and deregisters, she will no longer be entitled to Elterngeld. In order to draw Elterngeld, you need to have your residence in Germany. If she wants to go back to her home country for a few months after she has had the baby (or to have the baby I guess), she can still get Elterngeld as long as she still has her residency in Germany (meaning an address).

I can imagine as a new mom with an infant, she'd probably not want to have to deal with a flat mate, visitors, others habits, so I get why she might want you to move out.

That being said, could she afford the flat (and all expenses) on her own with only the €1800 Elterngeld she'll get during Elternzeit? Could she afford it if she worked full time? IMO, it makes better financial sense for you to stay. If she went home for some months (even a year) after the baby is born, at least you'll be there to cover half the apartment expenses.