How to look for jobs?

38 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, engelchen said:

Unemployment rate for foreigners Feb. 2017

 

15.9 % Germany, 8.3 % Munich, 9.3 % Stuttgart, 22.2 % Cottbus, 25.2 % Leipzig

 

What are you talking about :o 25% unemployment! This must be a joke.

 

Since it's February records, things must be much better now.

 

14 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

 

I decided to skip all these. Looks like a pile of hurdles to even sign up. I'll study on my own, bought couple of books.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thormein said:

 

What are you talking about :o 25% unemployment! This must be a joke.

 

Since it's February records, things must be much better now.

 

No it's not a joke and there is no reason to believe that the job market for foreigners has substantially improved since then. Unemployment is generally higher in the neue Bundesländer and the unemployment rate everywhere in Germany is higher for foreigners than the rate for the general population. The only thing that surprised me is the unemployment rate for foreigners is higher in Leipzig than Cottbus. 

 

These statistics, however, do not include students and students looking for jobs.

 

 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thormein said:
2 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

 

I decided to skip all these. Looks like a pile of hurdles to even sign up. I'll study on my own, bought couple of books.

 

Are you confident that you can learn German by following books on your own? I am currently a learner myself, and it sounds very very difficult by your way!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lisa13 said:

wow.  you know it all.  why come here?

 

and absolutely I agree 100%.  you don't need an integration course.

 

Yes thanks lisa! Thanks to this forum and you and other users i like, i feel very much integrated:rolleyes:

 

49 minutes ago, TurMech said:

 

Are you confident that you can learn German by following books on your own? I am currently a learner myself, and it sounds very very difficult by your way!

 

Well it depends on people, i've always been studying and learning on my own so i believe i can. And there are so many resources to work with. I also studied Latin, helps a lot!

 

Besides i have no choice, course prices are through the roof! :o 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little interviewing advice: Write numbers on your stomach so when the interviewer asks "why should I hire you" you can just lift your shirt and say "because you can count on me".

 

 

 

 

 

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Self-advertisement works well if you have something concrete to offer and put it in the right places.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2017, 10:55:09, Thormein said:

 

Yes thanks lisa! Thanks to this forum and you and other users i like, i feel very much integrated:rolleyes:

 

 

Well it depends on people, i've always been studying and learning on my own so i believe i can. And there are so many resources to work with. I also studied Latin, helps a lot!

 

Besides i have no choice, course prices are through the roof! :o 

Learning at home may not give you the most import part of the process, practice. You can sit 8 hours a day but if you do not go out and use it, it won't stick.

As most of the older members will have already read at some point, I got a headache when learning German at the beginning. I am a nice kind of sharing person, so thought nothing of spreading that around by speaking as much as I could. Spread the joy.. use the language as much as you can.

Your location is set to Asia so I cannot comment on your area or what profession you do but... Do a google search on employment agencies in your area and go see them.

They will help as they earn money for that.

 

I got jobs in Berlin with very little German doing IT support work. I was the only IT graduate person doing that, the rest were musicians, self taught IT types etc, they were there as they spoke English.

However, very important, realise you are not the catch of the century for anyone. You speak little German but you English has some worth, but you will be at a disadvantage compared to someone who speaks German as well. Maybe even if they do not speak English as good as you can, German is the language here.

Check online, make appointments with employment agencies and check if you can get help with German courses.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13.9.2017, 20:09:48, Thormein said:

I decided to skip all these. Looks like a pile of hurdles to even sign up. I'll study on my own, bought couple of books.

The best way to learn without a course is total immersion. Stop speaking English. Watch only German TV.  Hang out with Germans.  Go live in a WG with only Germans, etc. Go out a lot with German friends.  I was able to become fairly fluent that way in about a year.  Some people I knew hung out in their rooms studying their books.  They were barely able to speak German after a year.  

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

The best way to learn without a course is total immersion. Stop speaking English. Watch only German TV.  Hang out with Germans.  Go live in a WG with only Germans, etc. Go out a lot with German friends.  I was able to become fairly fluent that way in about a year.  Some people I knew hung out in their rooms studying their books.  They were barely able to speak German after a year.  

Watch German late night adverts..

Marvel at German voices getting excited over a food mixer.
But keep the remote close to hand, some thing that are seen, cannot be unseen...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Lavender Rain said:

A little interviewing advice: Write numbers on your stomach so when the interviewer asks "why should I hire you" you can just lift your shirt and say "because you can count on me".

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm not looking for skilled jobs that require interviews! I love unskilled jobs.

 

8 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

The best way to learn without a course is total immersion. Stop speaking English. Watch only German TV.  Hang out with Germans.  Go live in a WG with only Germans, etc. Go out a lot with German friends.  I was able to become fairly fluent that way in about a year.  Some people I knew hung out in their rooms studying their books.  They were barely able to speak German after a year.  

 

Yeah i like Germans a lot! I've met many of them! They all told me to come to Germany.

 

But i shall see. Cause travelling Germans are very different than German Germans it seems.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Thormein said:

 

I'm not looking for skilled jobs that require interviews! I love unskilled jobs.

 

 

 

 

 

You must realize every job unskilled or skilled will require some kind of interview. If you think you're going to get a job without an interview you're delusional.

Good luck!

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Let me check with Angie- I am sure she will organize a nice job for you.

Leader of the SPD?

 

Ducksandruns...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cb6dba said:

Your location is set to Asia so I cannot comment on your area or what profession you do but... Do a google search on employment agencies in your area and go see them.

They will help as they earn money for that.

 

From his other posts, it seems he will here on a study permit (usually entitled to work 120 days per calender year).

 

Do temp agencies in your area keep foreign students on their books?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2017, 7:35:06, engelchen said:

 

From his other posts, it seems he will here on a study permit (usually entitled to work 120 days per calender year).

 

Do temp agencies in your area keep foreign students on their books?

Have never checked, the OP could however contact one and ask.
I expect they will let the OP know of they can help. Would depend on his entitlement to work.
 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience is the best way to find a job is to have a personal connection. So join some professional groups and start networking, going to events, make German friends, etc.

 

You can take German courses at your local VHS for not much money. My wife just signed up for a 30 class semester for around 140€.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now