Need help on how to handle [minor] car dispute

11 posts in this topic

Some weeks ago while parking the car, after backing up and stopping, a lady come to my window and told me that my car touched hers. Neither I or my girlfriend felt it, but I didn't assume she's lying and believed her. Came out of the care and we inspected her front bumper together. I didn't see anything, she kept looking and simply told me that she "feels" that the bumper has moved. We both took pictures of the bumper and the surroundings, she took my number and told me that she'd let me know once she takes the car to her car dealer. 1 hour later she sent me the photos she took, mentioning how the sensors have be "moved". Meanwhile I showed the pictures to as many people as I could, and no one could detect anything...

Fast forward to today, she texted me "I'm in the workshop, handyman says replacing the sensors will be 300, and replacing the entire front bumper will be 1500. He can only decide about it once working on it. Please send me your insurance number."

Am I getting screwed over here? Is there a way I can have a say in this? Have a "handyman" of my choosing to look at this?

I would not pay her a dime. Of course the mechanic will take her money, they have bills to pay too. If you feel you did nothing wrong then I would contact a lawyer. You will know if you hit another car with yours. If you looked at the bumber and there were no scratches and everything was alligned then more than likely there was nothing wrong. When a 3000 lb vehicle hits another 3000 lb vehicle there tends to be damage or evidence of this occuring. 

Germans are crazy about their cars. Having a gut feeling does not make it true. Tell that woman to pound sand and take you to court if she has an issue with it. 

Hopefully you will have a Verkehrsrechtschutzversicherung, because you're going to have to lawyer up ASAP unless you just want to pay. Alternatively, when you report the incident to your insurance company, tell them your suspicions as well and they might engage their own investigators (and at the very least check the industry databases to see if she has a conspicuous history). If you choose to pay without contesting the claim, your insurance payments will go up permanently (because your SFK will take a blow).

It's possible that she's trying to pin existing damage on you in the hopes of getting a free repair, which would be a crime. But if she does this habitually (which can be discovered), that won't bother her. IMO it takes quite an impact to warp the bumper and knock out the parking sensors - I was witness to a hit-and-run incident with a parked car outside our apartment several years ago, and the resulting bang was quite loud. If you and your girlfriend neither felt nor heard the impact, she's probably lying.

I hope you took pictures of her bumper, and you should definitely take pictures of yours.

Best of luck to you.

26 minutes ago, Petro6golf said:

If you looked at the bumber and there were no scratches and everything was alligned then more than likely there was nothing wrong. When a 3000 lb vehicle hits another 3000 lb vehicle there tends to be damage or evidence of this occuring. 

Parking sensors can be damaged by a soft bump that does not leave any other visible damage.

I think the OP should contact ASAP his insurance company and report the issue.  Otherwise you might be accused of leaving the scene and it won't be good to you.   Tell them as well you don't think you hit her car.   Then wait for their advice and engage a lawyer if needed, your legal insurance will support you, assuming you have one.

I second @franklan's statement and plan of action. I once struck a neighbor's side mirror on his very large van as I was squeezing down our city street. There was no visible damage, but I was extra paranoid about hit and run. I went door-to-door to find out whose van it was. I gave the owner ALL of my insurance info and telephoned my insurance company. The van owner kept coming to me for money and I kept referring him to my insurance company with the desk number of the person with whom he was to make the report. He never did. The insurance company closed the case. I stayed out of it once I did my bit. I can only surmise that he was already on the radar of the insurance community and did not want to do it. This lady is trying to pull a fast one about something just like my neighbor was. 

I'm surprised she didnt call the police and report you for leaving the scene, I've seen alot of them play that stunt here. 

So far I haven’t heard of her again. I called my insurance and told my side of the story. They said it’s safe to give her my insurance number. We’ll see what happens.