Schufa and EU records

18 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I've searched around but haven't found a specific answer to this other than the more general 'EU records' bit. I live in the UK with my husband. I'm Canadian and he's British. We've lived here for 4 years and we are looking to move to Germany in the next 3-18 months, depending on how quick we pay off a loan and save up for the 3-6 months deposit we're going to need in Germany lol. 

We have good credit here, having worked very hard to build it up thinking we were going to be staying forever. As I'm here under EU law though and with Brexit looming, that is looking less and less like a possibility these days. So I'm wondering will our hard work with our credit ratings be visible on SCHUFA reports when we move? It would certainly help when trying to get a rental. But I suspect despite them saying they have EU records they maybe aren't that thorough. Wondering if anyone has any first hand experience and can say whether UK records show up on SCHUFA, or we're starting from scratch again when we move?

Not sure about the UK part (because it is EU (still), but your Canadian credit history won't have any influence (positive or negative) on Schufa.

Well that's a bummer. Haha. It took so long to convince the UK I was a real person who could be trusted! Oh well though.

Thanks, aries and Panda! 

Schufa is one company amoungst five or so in Germany.

How should they get the releveant information from other countries -companies?

I didn't know how they'd do it haha. But they did mention on the SCHUFA website about european record sharing, so who am I to not believe them? :P 

I know a trick: Why don't you just give them a call? Since their website is partially in English you should be able to talk to an English speaking person.

What do you want to do?

Rent an apartment? Will be a bit difficult, but if you have a job contract, you will get the apartment.

Most banks are not interested in your UK records anyway, even if they did have access to them. They are only giving credits/mortgages to people who are committed to stay in Germany (and as a result, have a Schufa record). But you will get a credit card.

Every expat had to start from scratch. Not a big deal. Germany is less credit oriented than UK anyway.

5 hours ago, thecanadianjen said:

3-6 months deposit we're going to need in Germany lol

If you mean Kaution, it's 3 months which can be paid in installments. And there is alternative: landlord deposit insurance (Mietbürgschaft), although not any landlord might accept that.

Yeah we're looking to rent :) I don't mind starting from scratch I just was hoping they'd have access to see we were trustworthy haha. But it's ok if not, we'll just have to work at it again!

The big thing is mostly that we kept seeing SCHUFA mentioned for all the rentals, and with the market apparently being quite competitive to get rentals there I was wondering if they had access to our previous record if it wouldn't at least give us a gold star haha. But it's ok, knowing we won't have that just means we'll likely need to save more for deposit and make sure all of our paperwork/job contracts are in place firmly before looking. Just like to be prepared!

Thank you so much!

I got an apartment without any schufa, we just showed our work contracts. They realized that schufa was useless because we had never lived in Germany before.

We also had no Schufa and no problem. Open a German bank account, have proof of work, financial status, and should be fine.

(No large  aggressive dogs?!)

Thanks everyone! Puts my mind at ease :D We do have dogs, but they are not large and aggressive haha. And we have references from our previous two landlords who can attest they don't damage things.

10 minutes ago, thecanadianjen said:

Thanks everyone! Puts my mind at ease :D We do have dogs, but they are not large and aggressive haha.

Haha. Be prepared that this will be an obstacle in finding a flat anyway. Many german landlords don't want dogs, no matter how small, large, whatever they are. 

34 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I got an apartment without any schufa, we just showed our work contracts. They realized that schufa was useless because we had never lived in Germany before.

Same here and without a permanent contract. As a freelancer I had 3 companies write that they want me for a long period and that I will be earning X much and it was more than enough.

On 9/7/2017, 9:11:50, someonesdaughter said:

Haha. Be prepared that this will be an obstacle in finding a flat anyway. Many german landlords don't want dogs, no matter how small, large, whatever they are. 

Yeah, similar problem to the UK, it took us a long time to find somewhere, but we've been happy here for years! 

Was their main concern damage, and was it flats specifically? 

On 9/7/2017, 9:16:09, Alexnf said:

Same here and without a permanent contract. As a freelancer I had 3 companies write that they want me for a long period and that I will be earning X much and it was more than enough.

Alex you just put my mind so at ease. I'm a contractor and I run my own LTD company. I make good money and have several long term contracts, which my clients are willing to attest to. But I wasn't sure that would be enough. Good to know it might be :D. My husband also works in normal, full time work so we'd at least have one good contract and then my stuff. 

9 hours ago, thecanadianjen said:

Yeah, similar problem to the UK, it took us a long time to find somewhere, but we've been happy here for years! 

Was their main concern damage, and was it flats specifically? 

Landlords main concern is complaining neighbors and equality – if they allow dogs with one neighbor they are under pressure to allow them with any renter ..