Find our lost backpack on ebay for sale! What to do?

9 posts in this topic

Hello all,

by your helps and suggestions I have found our lost backpack for sale on eBay Kleinanzeigen which is not far from the end destination of the train that we were on.  And, it's not far from Wuppertal where DB hold their auctions for unclaimed goods.  I know it's a complete long shot. 

Should I write to the seller and ask about if the item for sale might be connected to our loss?  I don't want him/her to think that I am accusing them of theft though we really would love to recover at least the data from the MacBook and also the hard drives that were in the bag. Are DB auctions similar to airport auctions of luggage where the whole item is sold without the content being listed?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you 

That really would be a very long shot.  Of course the seller could have bought the item legitimately.  Is it a common brand? Can you see any distinguishing marks on the photos?  

Perhaps you can contact the police again and ask for their advice. If, and it's a big if, the bag is yours, it's not a good idea to ask someone you know to go to the seller to ask about it. 

18 minutes ago, emkay said:

That really would be a very long shot.  Of course the seller could have bought the item legitimately.  Is it a common brand? Can you see any distinguishing marks on the photos?  

Perhaps you can contact the police again and ask for their advice. If, and it's a big if, the bag is yours, it's not a good idea to ask someone you know to go to the seller to ask about it. 

Unfortunately I can't tell from the photos! And from distance but it really seems to be ours. 

I wrote to the police about it and he promised me to talk to syber crime section. 

Thanks for your answer 

Be sure to screen shot the item.  You will need to login to see the full telephone number of the seller. Registering is very quick and easy. There's no history of old ads on eBay Kleinanzeigen. If an ad disappears, that's it. Send all of the info to the police. 

Good luck

9 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

Do the police actually bother with stuff like this?

I don't know! I just hope

20 minutes ago, emkay said:

Be sure to screen shot the item.  You will need to login to see the full telephone number of the seller. Registering is very quick and easy. There's no history of old ads on eBay Kleinanzeigen. If an ad disappears, that's it. Send all of the info to the police. 

Good luck

Thanks for your advice 

I would hope so too but I remember a few few posts in the past where people said the police were quite uninterested. 

Let us all know how you get on.

On 6.9.2017, 10:24:03, cb6dba said:

Do the police actually bother with stuff like this?

If they bother with people crossing the road on a red man, drunk people on bicycles, giving the finger to the old nettle licking sour-bag blocwart and for forgetting to apply for a genehmigung for farting... they sure as hell bother with this crap.