Student residency permit (visa) extension for one semester..problem?

6 posts in this topic

I'm currently in a two year masters program in Germany (as a foreign citizen), and my initial Aufenthaltserlaubnis was registered for that period of time - two years. However, one year into my program, due to various issues, I realize I will definitely need to take an additional semester before graduating. Would this pose an issue when I go back to the Ausländerbehörde to apply for an extension? i.e. such an extension lumped in with the visa overstayers, etc. I suppose I can also provide continuing financial stability (blocked bank acct) and progress towards graduation (transcript) if they're worried I'm just going to extend my stay indefinitely. Thoughts?

First of all i thought student residency permits were issued for 1 year max and renewed annually.

Interesting.

I guess extending it shouldn't be that much of a hassle compared to first getting it, right?

You need to talk to the school first i think. 

The thing is are you postponing it on purpose or not?

Maybe for permanent residency or path to citizenship?

@Pandekage, this depends on the local interpretation of the general rules and on the average time it takes for students to finish your degree. Where I worked before the rules were clear, e.g. max. 7 semesters for a (4 semester) master's degree + possibly an 8th semester to finish the thesis, but only with a letter from the supervisor, a clear schedule and so a good chance of finishing. I work elsewhere now and my colleagues do not know about any clear rules.

The officials will definitely want to see a proof of how many credits you have earned so far; I guess you should be able to print out a statement when you log in to the university LSF or a similar system depending on what you use/call it. 

5 semesters for a 4 semester degree won't even raise an eyebrow in Berlin (expect perhaps that you've finished so quickly). 

Make an online appointment ASAP for your renewal.

Thanks, that's good to hear; I'll schedule an appointment ASAP.

Would asking for 2 extra semesters (1 year total) be going too far? I could argue this as a precautionary buffer, should I miss any additional courses, or that I would like to take other classes only possible as an official student. The other reason is extra time to look for a job after graduating.

On ‎05‎.‎09‎.‎2017‎ ‎13‎:‎33‎:‎51, Pandekage said:

Would asking for 2 extra semesters (1 year total) be going too far? I could argue this as a precautionary buffer, should I miss any additional courses, or that I would like to take other classes only possible as an official student.

You normally just apply for an extension, they may or may not ask you how long you need. Does your uni issue transcripts or do you have actual Scheine? It is good to take something with you to demonstrate your progress.

On ‎05‎.‎09‎.‎2017‎ ‎13‎:‎33‎:‎51, Pandekage said:

The other reason is extra time to look for a job after graduating.

You have 18 months to look for a job after graduation with a permit under §16 Abs. 5 AufenthG and with that permit you have full labour market access (i.e. after you change your permit you can be employed and/or self-employed without restriction for these 18 months).