Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Homeopathy and physics

111 posts in this topic

Interested to hear people's experiences re. adapting to German life.

For example homeopathy:

two years ago, had a big row with my german wife about using it on our daughter. Yesterday, went to the doctors with my son, got some prescribed and just shrugged my shoulders.

Life goes on.

2 hours ago, pmd said:

Interested to hear people's experiences re. adapting to German life.

For example homeopathy:

two years ago, had a big row with my german wife about using it on our daughter. Yesterday, went to the doctors with my son, got some prescribed and just shrugged my shoulders.

Life goes on.

Just don't let your daughter get killed by lack of proper treatment.

In my case I tell the doctor straight away that I don't accept quackery solutions. And overall I choose the ones that don't advertise that crap.

I also called 2 Physicists from my company "incompetents" for believing in that crap. So this is my adaptation to Germany life: I don't accept the crap.

44 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I also called 2 Physicists from my company "incompetents" for believing in that crap.

Did their beliefs affect their work? If not what gave you the right to call them incompetent?

You know what works for you. If drinking tea and taking aromatic baths work, do it. If not, discuss the situation with your doctor and get some medicine prescribed. While I do not recommend taking pills for a weak cold, I do think there are exceptions. After all, I was told to drink tea and take a hot bath after complaining about an acute bladder infection that wouldn't let me sleep, sit or work. After one week I got one antibiotic prescribed and was given the exact dose for 3 days. 

They don't emphasize on pills and while I somehow agree with this, if you know plants and sport are not working for you or your health issue needs to be treated with pills, go for it.

I wait for the lights at pedestrian crossings. It's no big deal. My mind just wanders over other things, just like when I'm walking.

5 hours ago, Uncle Nick said:

Did their beliefs affect their work? If not what gave you the right to call them incompetent?

Do you trust the work of physicists that don't believe in the scientific method? Or don't understand the concept of statistics in real life?

Just because someone doesn't conform to your way of thinking in one area doesn't mean that they are wrong in other areas, it's called human nature, maybe you should look into that, rather than assuming your know-it-all attitude. Btw have you been able to show that their work is wrong?

i have encountered many weird things here in Germany, In the beginning i asked WHY, now i am just like ok whatever

7 hours ago, Uncle Nick said:

Just because someone doesn't conform to your way of thinking in one area doesn't mean that they are wrong in other areas, it's called human nature, maybe you should look into that, rather than assuming your know-it-all attitude. Btw have you been able to show that their work is wrong?

If they are faced with countless (well, actually close to 2000) scientific papers that tell them homeopathy has no positive effect and they instead come with the usual crap "ah, but my mother got better after taking homeopathic medicine", how can I trust them for their usual work, which involves experimenting and statistics analysis? We work in a company that makes equipment to measure physical properties (doesn't matter which). And these guys come and tell me they trust homeopathy, despite not being possible to "measure" the effect or magic properties as "water memory"!

Speaking of Homeopathic crap...

http://gizmodo.com/cdc-finds-lead-poisoning-in-child-who-wore-homeopathic-1798728591

This article highlights the dangers of these quackery "medicines". Not only it is completely ineffective (see http://gizmodo.com/huge-meta-study-finds-homeopathy-ineffective-in-health-1690747203), it lacks supervision on its products toxic contents.

This homoeopathy bullshit is the reason why I am rather sympathetic to religion: at least they do not tell that this is universal truth. God helps only those who believe in him, and religion forbids explicitly to rely on church instead of going to the doctors.

If one needs to believe in some crap, why not believe in God? Why homoeopathy?

On 3.9.2017, 02:14:51, Uncle Nick said:

... what about "faith healers?"

The same category as conspiracy theorists: abusers of science/religion.

But they aren't that official, so I don't care. Churches do not like them (at least in Europe).

I went to a homeopath once and it didn't work for me. 2 colleagues also went and were raving about the great results they got.

Whether you believe in it or not - and maybe it's the placebo effect - if it works for you then great. I wouldn't get too upset about it if people genuinely believe it's helped them.

2 hours ago, lisa13 said:

This is simply homeopathy anywhere - this noise  has NOTHING to do with Germany, specifically

I do not know of any country which officially license (!) homoeopaths and where health insurance pays for them.

TK even has a web page how to find a doctor (!) advising on it

29 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

I do not know of any country which officially license (!) homoeopaths and where health insurance pays for them.

TK even has a web page how to find a doctor (!) advising on it

2 hours ago, lisa13 said:

This is simply homeopathy anywhere - this noise  has NOTHING to do with Germany, specifically

Prior to coming here, I was unaware that the creator of homeopathy (his name was Samuel Hahnemann) was German so this perhaps explains why it is more deep rooted in society here than other countries.

19 hours ago, Jonny said:

I went to a homeopath once and it didn't work for me. 2 colleagues also went and were raving about the great results they got.

Whether you believe in it or not - and maybe it's the placebo effect - if it works for you then great. I wouldn't get too upset about it if people genuinely believe it's helped them.

I can't adhere to this "live and let live" warm fuzzy crap any more - although I used to.  But having watched two friends die young and unnecessarily now from Cancer because they really believed alternative medicine was the way to go kind of made me cynical about allowing non-science to infiltrate the science world.  There's no more shrugging "whats the harm" for me anymore.  There is palatable harm. 

Homeopathy is quackery, and watching people being suckered into not only paying money for it but also reject proven treatments, is something I will never be able to accept.   Friend #1 lost her life, but Friend #2 lost his life AND 4000$ a month for "alternative medicine" over the course of two years, leaving his two teenage sons with nothing after he was gone.  That 4000$ was for homeopathy and "vitamin/nutrient" treatments - preying on and marketed towards very sick and sometimes dying people, and giving them false hope while milking their money.

Fundamentally I agree that people should have choices, and could conceivably choose something that makes them feel better (like Homeopathy, herbs, etc) along side western science, but in truth, this rarely happens - because any time you look up these alternative treatments, you are inundated with conspiracy theorist websites warning you away from western science.  While the doctors are often willing to work along side alternative therapies, the conspiracy theorists and companies pushing homeopathy and other crap do nothing but crap all over doctors, pharmaceuticals and western science. 

There.  I've said it. 

@Joanie I'm sorry for your losses. I would be angry at someone charging a lot of money per month to a dying person and giving them false hope when there is none. But I believe that homeopathy here is paid for by some health insurance. It may be quackery but I'm not sure it's a get rich quick scheme. 

Also keep in mind that many people have put their faith in western medicine (such as chemotherapy) and died just the same. My friend told me that when his father had cancer, he believed it was the chemotherapy that eventually killed him. Have you looked at the efficacy of chemotherapy ? Not all Western medicine is a magic bullet and until it is, people will turn to alternative therapies when they can.