English-speaking Doctor in Leipzig for ADHD Treatment

4 posts in this topic

Hello Toytown,

My family and I have recently made a potentially permanent move from the US to Leipzig for my work.

I have been diagnosed with ADHD and take generic Adderall. I understand that this medication isn't available in Germany, but that other options (Attentin, Ritalin, Concerta, etc.) are. I also understand, from online searches, that German doctors are less inclined to believe in ADHD, think Americans are over-medicated, etc. I'm anxious about not being able to find a doctor to prescribe me a comparable medication, though my American psychiatrist seems to think this won't really be an issue (she recently vacationed in Germany and though everyone was "really nice"). I have a copy of my most recent psychological assessment (from one year ago), a copy of my next prescription written by my doctor, and my psych is willing to discuss my diagnosis and treatment with any doctor I find here.

My German is not up to snuff yet (I've enrolled in a class at least!), so I need to find an English-speaking doctor. I have also found very contradictory information online about how I should go about doing this. Some people say go to a GP in order to get a referral to a psychiatrist. Some people say you must go to a psychologist first (though I've already been assessed), then a psychiatrist. And many combinations of those.

I'm wondering if anyone has first-hand experience of this process, and could offer some guidance. I would also really appreciate if anyone could point me in the direction of a specific doctor, so I could avoid unwittingly going to a slew of less progressive/anti-medication ones before finding the right one. But really, any advise or information if welcome :)

Hi @sarahmacken 

I found this post looking for answers to all the same questions. 
Four years on, do you have any advice from your own experience you could share?

In any case I hope you were able to find a good solution!

Try looking at the practice websites, the Doctor Drs often list where they have studied, a couple years in an English-speaking country would be a good sign.

I would be wary of ringing up and asking, the receptionist might claim that the doc speaks good English just to try to get trade.

I do not live nearby, but my German is very good. Perhaps you could take a bilingual companion like me to translate.

Thanks @Fietsrad. I've done that, and I'll extend your advice by recommending checking doctors' entries on Jameda and Doctolib.

There's also a decent overview of the process from one person's perspective in this post:

https://allaboutberlin.com/guides/adhd-berlin-germany

Still, I'm hoping @sarahmacken will share her learnings, as there is a paucity of solid guidance or recent, firsthand experience.