Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

70,000 to be evacuated in Frankfurt because of WWII bomb

17 posts in this topic

Apparently, the evacuation is planned for the weekend, so those 70,000 people have to sleep the next few nights knowing that blockbuster is beneath them!

It was dropped out of a plane from 30000 feet and didnt go off... so i doubt it will untill they start buggering about with it...

See map of the evacuation zone and FAQs in English here: Feuerwehr Frankfurt. On Sunday, people within the evacuation zone must leave the area from 6 am (!) onwards, area is supposed to be cleared at 8 am, reopening of the zone is planned around 8 pm (if all goes well), so people should take what is needed for the day with them.

I wanna know what are they do with the bomb once it has been defused?

Dig a big hole and bury it?..

Joking aside... are there any sites that are doing a live update on travel chaos?  I need to have "princess" home with her Mom at 1700hrs andthey are just 250m outside of this zone!

"I wanna know what they are going to do with the bomb once it is defused?"

"Dig a hole and bury it?"

Almost. Once the fuse is removed and it is deemed safe to transport, they are taken to a remote location, buried deep in a large gravel pit and detonated. 

As far as I know they take the explosive out and burn it.

Explosives will only detonate if you use a detonator.

You need a shockwave to initiate the explosion of the main charge.

Explosives like TNT only explode if they are hit by a shock wave of e.g. 4000m/s as lead azide will produce. If that does not work a second detonator with a detonation velocity of 8000m/s is triggered by lead azide.

Throwing TNT out of an airplane will not do it.

I saw the two people doing the job being interviewed. I mean, HOW THE FLUCK DOES ONE STAND THERE AND UNSCREW THE DETONATORS?!!!!!  Does his heart beat like a drum roll or does he have wipers wiping the sweat pouring down his face or does he immediately change underwear after the job?

1 minute ago, rodisi said:

I saw the two people doing the job being interviewed. I mean, HOW THE FLUCK DOES ONE STAND THERE AND UNSCREW THE DETONATORS?!!!!!  

Not at all. They attach a 'Raketenklemme' to the detonator, then ignite those by radio control. That's how it works. Ideally the Raketenklemme removes both parts of the detonator. Yesterday it only worked with one of the detonators, two of the three Sprengkapsel parts had to be pulled out in second step, also by remote control. 

It's dangerous anyway because attaching the Raketenklemme isn't always that easy, the mostly corroded detonators have to be brushed off before. 

There are bomb squads everywhere, not to mention minesweeping teams. Some bomb defusers could be made to do it against their own will (military?) but many volunteer (police?), so it is quite crazy that people do this. But, there are also executioners and interrogators who use torture. How do they bring themselves to do these things?

People are just complex.

Quite easily actually.   Adrenaline junkies and challenge chasers...  it's all about the risk.

Firefighters:  Chance of burning in a building.  (challenge of putting out the fire and saving lives)

Cop:  Chance of being shot.  ( challenge of saving lives upholding laws)

Race car driver:  Chancing of dying in a wreck.  (challenge of winning race)

Window washer:  Falling from a high-rise. (challenge of 'cleaning windows :lol:)

Construction worker:  Same as above.  (Challenge of accomplishment)

Many others...  the thought of sales, or sitting behind a desk, being a nurse, a teacher, offers no challenge to these people.  I know this well.  I used to be one when I was younger.