Public Health Insurance Deadline for EU Citizens

15 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am registered at the moment both in the Netherlands and Germany (Anmeldung) as I am living in both countries. I have public health insurance from the Netherlands and I will continue for a while as I have a business there. However, I also do not want to miss my chance to directly enter to German public health insurance. I read that I have the right to join the German public health insurance if I am part of public health insurance in another EU country but I have to do it within 3 months after arriving to Germany. 

Does anyone know how these 3 months are calculated? Is it based on my Anmeldung registration in Germany? If I am registered in both Germany and Netherlands and I am part of Dutch public health insurance, does it mean I lose my chance to directly get into German public health insurance after 3 months of registration? Although I am registered in Germany, I am wondering if the fact that I am still part of the Dutch public health insurance gives me some extra time.

Thanks

On 13/08/2017, 14:23:22, firefish said:

I am registered at the moment both in the Netherlands and Germany (Anmeldung) as I am living in both countries.

Germany doesn't do well with situations outside the norm.

Does anyone know how these 3 months are calculated? Is it based on my Anmeldung registration in Germany?

Yes, it is based on your Anmeldung in Germany, 

If I am registered in both Germany and Netherlands and I am part of Dutch public health insurance, does it mean I lose my chance to directly get into German public health insurance after 3 months of registration? Although I am registered in Germany, I am wondering if the fact that I am still part of the Dutch public health insurance gives me some extra time.

It doesn't give you extra time, however, depending on your exact circumstances, you might not have to pay additionally for German coverage, 

Contact a German Krankenkasse of your choice ASAP. 

Is there any reason you must be registered in Germany? Can't you just be registered in the Netherlands and be a "visitor" in Germany (for now).

5 hours ago, Smaug said:

Is there any reason you must be registered in Germany? Can't you just be registered in the Netherlands and be a "visitor" in Germany (for now).

Its too late unfortunately. I am already registered.

I am going to have a minijob (450 eu) in Germany until December. Would that be enough to join the public health insurance at the beginning?

Thank you

16 hours ago, engelchen said:

Germany doesn't do well with situations outside the norm.

Yes, it is based on your Anmeldung in Germany, 

It doesn't give you extra time, however, depending on your exact circumstances, you might not have to pay additionally for German coverage, 

Contact a German Krankenkasse of your choice ASAP. 

10 hours ago, firefish said:

I am going to have a minijob (450 eu) in Germany until December. Would that be enough to join the public health insurance at the beginning?

You really need to contact a German Krankenkasse ASAP to determine whether you can continue paying your contributions in the Netherlands or if you need a freiwillige Versicherung in Germany. 

10 hours ago, firefish said:

Thank you

Mini-jobs never qualify for public insurance membership in their own rights as they do not come with compulsory social welfare contributions. You'll need at least a "Midi"-job, which is any employment with a gross salary of >451 EUR per months and up to 800-something-EUR per month.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

I visited TK office and I have been told that it doesn't matter the date I register (anmeldung) in Germany. As I am still paying for the health insurance in the Netherlands, I can change to Germany public health insurance whenever it is finished - even after 3 months of being in Germany. What matters is there is no time gap between the Dutch health insurance and German one.

2 hours ago, firefish said:

I visited TK office and I have been told that it doesn't matter the date I register (anmeldung) in Germany. As I am still paying for the health insurance in the Netherlands, I can change to Germany public health insurance whenever it is finished - even after 3 months of being in Germany. What matters is there is no time gap between the Dutch health insurance and German one.

you were/are lucky in this case. Usually, it does not work that way... 

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

2 hours ago, firefish said:

2 minutes ago, Starshollow said:

you were/are lucky in this case. Usually, it does not work that way... 

What happens when the next Sachbearbeiter has a different opinion?

16 hours ago, engelchen said:

What happens when the next Sachbearbeiter has a different opinion?

worst case scenario - the initial decision will be overthrown on legal grounds and the health insurance canceled backward due to lacking legal ground to have been established in the first place. 

Cheerio

I specifically mentioned that I read that it is not possible to be in the public health system after 3 months registering with anmeldung in Germany and she said as long as I am still part of the Dutch Public Health Insurance and paying there, I can switch to German one with E104 document. That is the only document they check.

59 minutes ago, firefish said:

I specifically mentioned that I read that it is not possible to be in the public health system after 3 months registering with anmeldung in Germany and she said as long as I am still part of the Dutch Public Health Insurance and paying there, I can switch to German one with E104 document. That is the only document they check.

hope you got that in writing...otherwise what someone said to you is not worth a dime in the future, I am afraid.

Cheerio