Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is there an equivalent of UK's health investigation by councils for deficient rental housing?

3 posts in this topic

tl;dr:

Is there something equivalent to UK's environmental health investigation that the council does for rental housing? In UK I can complain to the council, who will assess the issue and order the landlord to fix it (if it does affect the health and safety of the tenant).

So I have some on-going issue with my flat that IMO affects our health (my previous thread).  I sent a detailed video recording of the issue, and after seeing this the landlord seems to be willing to do something about it. However, despite already having a quote for a comprehensive fix (change the carpet), he's sending a guy he normally uses to do small things like fixing furniture to the wall, hang pictures etc. rather than the company that gave us the quote. The guy is telling me he needs to "see what sort of material he needs to buy". This is making me uneasy because I don't want him to do something like plastering some extra material on top of the carpet and claim it's fixed - honestly I don't see a fix other than just changing the carpet. So I'd like to know if I can get somebody's help in assessing if it's safe. I'm not insisting on changing the carpet - if it's actually safe I'm 100% happy. I just don't see how that's possible without perhaps completely covering the carpet with a plastic sheet or something.

43 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

Have you joimed the Mietverein yet?

Yes they are dealing with it. Just want to be informed about all options.