Accused of feeding pigeons, neighbors threatening me. Can they report me?

30 posts in this topic

Long story short.

Since 2 months ago I noticed some pigeons have been staying around at our building.

Mostly I could not see them but I saw there were droppings at my windowsills.

 

5 days ago I put some rice on one of the windowsills for my own reason (religious reasons)

3 days ago my landlord called me and told me that the neighbour living downstairs (3rd floor) complained me that I had fed birds.

He told my landlord that on the whole wall of the building was full of shit and on his windowsill there was some rice.
And he complained that I fed the birds for weeks. 
I told my landlord I had put the rice at the windowsills for only 2 days and I did removed it afterwards. I did not know that the birds ate some of them.
I asked my landlord if he did see me "feeding the birds". She said, "No. But he saw the birds were at your windows."
And I promised my landlord I would never put it outside again. My landlord just told the neighbour I would not feed the pigeons again.
What's now???
The pigeons keep coming, of course. They have already been at our building for months.
The neighbour kept shouting inside his flat very loudly and angrily. He kept going up and down from 7:00 a.m. closing and opening his door so hard that my door shook. In these few days he and his wife even stayed outside and walked around the building and watching me until 11:00 pm. (It was raining and cold outside, unbelievable). 
Last night, he made a few complaint calls in German loudly enough I could hear his every word (although I did not understand most of it).

He repeatedly said he saw it at least 5 times (It's not real). And he said he would like to sign any paper. 
I called my landlord and told her about it. However, my landlord said he did not pick up her call.
He definitely is a loud and bully guy of "level 6". (See the link http://www.noisehelp.com/loud-neighbors.html)
I am so frightened and I am going to get mad.

My question is : Will I get into any troubles???

Thank you very much for any advice and in addition strategies dealing with a "level 6" villain are very welcomed, too. 
P.S. Calling the police is useless in this case, believe me. The ones who had started those battles moved out.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know if you'll get in trouble but if you have pigeons nesting on your roof and they're causing damage then it is your landlords responsibility to get them removed if they can be removed.We had the same problem last year and there is a lot of hassle involved in moving them because of certain naturschutz laws etc.

And if anything does happen then you apparently put the rice there for religious reasons not as bird food.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the birds only speak  and understand pidgin English, RedMidge😀

 

Edit: a bit like some of the posters on here..me included!!!:lol:

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fact, totally unrelated to the topic: Buddhist community in Germany do not use swastikas despite it being a very important symbol of this religion, so German law makes specific exception to allow religious usage of this symbol. But they do not use it anyway because "Buddhism is a religion of peace, and we do not want misunderstandings and disappoint the locals".

 

I don't know which religion requires using rice, but sure exceptions are allowed when living abroad, so "When in Rome, do as Romans..." etc.

 

While this does look as bullying, my recommendation is to bring the situation back to peace. Invite your neighbours for small Kaffee und Küchen, explain them about rice and that you didn't mean to attract pigeons etc. Tell them how expensive it will be for them to go the legal way and how you are willing to save their time and money to bring the situation back to peace. 

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do check your contract as well, @IML. I am moving soon and my new landlord used the contract published by the Haus & Grund Saarland. §26 Hausordnung, the second section dealing with the property itself: 

 

Quote

6. Tiere, insbesondere Tauben, dürfen weder vom Grundstück noch von der Wohnung aus gefüttert werden. 

 

Emphasis mine. I had a chuckle as I was reading this -- didn't realize it would come in handy anytime soon :D

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Keleth said:

Don't know if you'll get in trouble but if you have pigeons nesting on your roof and they're causing damage then it is your landlords responsibility to get them removed if they can be removed.We had the same problem last year and there is a lot of hassle involved in moving them because of certain naturschutz laws etc.

And if anything does happen then you apparently put the rice there for religious reasons not as bird food.

Very useful information. Thank you very much.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Fact, totally unrelated to the topic: Buddhist community in Germany do not use swastikas despite it being a very important symbol of this religion, so German law makes specific exception to allow religious usage of this symbol. But they do not use it anyway because "Buddhism is a religion of peace, and we do not want misunderstandings and disappoint the locals".

 

I don't know which religion requires using rice, but sure exceptions are allowed when living abroad, so "When in Rome, do as Romans..." etc.

 

While this does look as bullying, my recommendation is to bring the situation back to peace. Invite your neighbours for small Kaffee und Küchen, explain them about rice and that you didn't mean to attract pigeons etc. Tell them how expensive it will be for them to go the legal way and how you are willing to save their time and money to bring the situation back to peace. 

Thank you very much for your friendly reply. It is a very good idea, if everyone were so kind as you are. The neighbour neither talks to me nor greets back from day 1. He even doesn't answer the door. He simply ignores me. I get used to it. I forgive everyone who bullies me and remind myself I cannot be one of them. That's it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to talking with your neighbors, consider buying some "anti-bird spikes" (also called "pigeon spikes" - search Amazon.de for them using one of those English terms and you'll see lots of images; German hardware stores must carry them as well). Install the spikes on your windowsill as a bird deterrent so your neighbors will know you're serious about not wanting birds at your window.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, liebling said:

In addition to talking with your neighbors, consider buying some "anti-bird spikes" (also called "pigeon spikes" - search Amazon.de for them using one of those English terms and you'll see lots of images; German hardware stores must carry them as well). Install the spikes on your windowsill as a bird deterrent so your neighbors will know you're serious about not wanting birds at your window.

Wow! brilliant!!!!! That's a very good idea!! In this week the couple and their sons and daughters keep staying in the streets day and night walking around the building and watching us!!! It is very terribly scaring!!!! (Do they really have nothing to do in their life??? )
I have searched for the products and if my landlord lets me to install  "die Taubenspikes",  it will come to an end.  Thank you very much!!!
 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LenkaG said:

Do check your contract as well, @IML. I am moving soon and my new landlord used the contract published by the Haus & Grund Saarland. §26 Hausordnung, the second section dealing with the property itself: 

 

 

Emphasis mine. I had a chuckle as I was reading this -- didn't realize it would come in handy anytime soon :D

I have checked that, thanks. There is nothing talking about birds. Thanks a lot^^

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not be happy if neighbour leaving rice out, pigeons obviously attracted and pooping onto my windows/ balcony.  Whatever the reason you left it out!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone who wanted to help me in this case.
By hanging CDs at the windows (still waiting for the approval of the installation of pigeon spikes), the pigeons stay at my windows no more. 
Although the pigeons keep coming flying around the building and poop at my neighbour's windowsills, at least now I'm getting out of the trouble.
By dealing with this problem, I accidentally knew that my neighbour might have some mental health problems. That's why he is such a psycho-noise complaining but at the same time an extremely irritating and loud 
neighbour. My landlord is still thinking I know nothing about his health issues.

I am not willing to move out like anybody else, so I am searching some information about claiming rent deduction (my apartment is KM 800 euros, 50 sqm).

I hope he will get well soon and I can have my peaceful life back.

Thank you everybody ^^

 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IML said:

(my apartment is KM 800 euros, 50 sqm).

 

so...I take it you must be in munich? :)

 

join the mieterverein as they can help you deal with your landlord, advise on rent reduction, etc.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

 

so...I take it you must be in munich? :)

 

join the mieterverein as they can help you deal with your landlord, advise on rent reduction, etc.

I wish I were in munich...I am in Stuttgart...TvT
I like Stuttgart but I don't like paying high rent especially when it doesn't seem to be worth...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity, what religion has you put rice on your windowsills? Dont worry about it. Its a bird that pooped on the wall. The neighbor will get over it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Petro6golf The OP is probably a Buddist. Buddism doesn't specifically prescribe putting rice on windsills but Buddists often make symbolic offerings of food or drink. These offerings could simply express general gratitude or be intended to have a positive influence on the offeror's balance of karma.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now