Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to get out of a shared flat (WG) contract?

16 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I'm new here.

I need advice on leaving a WG I share with three other Germans.

Everything was great, but one of them doesn't like me for some reason. She's been abusive, made me cry several times, talked behind my back about me with the other two flatmates (she openly admitted that to me), spread gossip about me at work (we work at the same place). When I couldn't shower before 22 she told me that there is a law forbidding that and that our neighbours might take us to court (turned out to be not true in Baden-Wurttemberg). She forced me to go to the neighbours to assure them that only I am responsible for late showers (between 22 and 24), so that her and the others don't get in trouble. Now, she also showers after 22 anyway. She excludes me from any common activities in the flat and everyone speaks only in German around me. I am learning German, but my level is too low to join a conversation, my flatmates know it, and they speak English fluently. Her behaviour and the other guys just abiding made me depressed and hating my new life in Germany.

Because of that, I am leaving my flat. I found wonderful and nice Germans in another WG. I asked my German boyfriend to help me, he read the old contract with me, checked websites online, and wrote a 'termination letter' of the lease. The landlords signed it and said it was okay and that they just have to renew the contract with the new person. They were very nice and understanding. I told the flatmates before that I am moving out.

The flatmates treat me now even worse, because they are angry that I don't want to live with them. Being in the flat with them is horrible, I just basically stay in my room the whole time. I offered to find a new person and I even had a very nice candidate from the same workplace (we work at a research institute). They ignored me and said that they want to choose the flatmate, and that I cannot do anything or advertise the room. They didn't even want to meet the guy and forbade me to give him their contact details.

Two months after I handed in the letter, the landlords emailed me saying that the termination of the lease is void, because for the lease to be cancelled, all the lessors have to sign. My boyfriend did not know that (I trusted him but I guess I should've seeked legal advice). They said that the new flatmate has to pay me my deposit etc. and that they have to write the amendment to the lease about changing one of the lessors. 

What should I do now? My flatmates ignored my messages or just changed the topic when I talked about finding new candidates for the room. Now I am completely dependent on them when they find someone to replace me, and I already signed the contract for the new flat, because my previous landlords assured me it's all okay. I will go to Mieterverein on Monday to show them all proof of my emails to my flatmates, emails from the landlords and the document they signed and ask for advice. Is there any legal way of getting out by the deadline I've given two months ago if the flatmates block me from finding anyone new?

I know I should have been more careful about all of this, but I cannot speak the language fluently, especially when it comes to professional/law-related vocabulary, and I trusted my boyfriend to help me and tell me how I should execute things. I was really desperate to get out of the flat because it was really bringing me down and had a big influence on my life, especially not feeling comfortable at my own home.

Thank you for reading all this and giving me advice.

1 minute ago, Uncle Nick said:

Are you on the lease yourself?

All four of us are on the lease, we are all the primary lessors. After the email I checked together with my boyfriend and indeed to cancel, all four lessors have to sign the document and cancel together.

This is a mistake on my side, but I don't understand why the landlords were smiling and understanding and saying 'no problem', and signed the document, only to email me two months later, when I already committed to the new flat, that the document was ineffective.

Join the Mietverein, make an appointment and take all documents with you. Take your German speaking boyfriend as well. They can advise you on your rights.

Seems to me that, if the landlord signed off you your leaving and told you it was no problem then it shouldn't be a problem. The others will have to share the rent or get another tenant to take your place.

53 minutes ago, zbutazbuta said:

She forced me to go to the neighbours to assure them that only I am responsible for late showers (between 22 and 24), so that her and the others don't get in trouble

Curious as to how she "forced" you. I hope you can stand up to the bullying next time.

if you want them to kick you out, I am sure you can think of ways to make them want to kick you out ;)

Sneak into their rooms while they are asleep and place their hands in a bowl of lukewarm water. ;)

NB: Make sure you lock your room before going to sleep!

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Curious as to how she "forced" you. I hope you can stand up to the bullying next time.

Thank you for your reply.

Perhaps I worded it badly; they basically ganged up on me and kept nagging me to go talk to the neighbours. Honestly, that's how they would do it: if they had a problem, they would discuss it without me, and then tell me what they decided and gang up against me. Anyway, they kept treating me really coldly, and the meanest flatmate would just not speak to me and ghost me. As I hate conflicts, and having all three of them against me, I decided to just give in so they would stop being angry.

But you're right, I should stand up for myself next time, and I'm doing this by not putting up with toxic people and moving out.

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Seems to me that, if the landlord signed off you your leaving and told you it was no problem then it shouldn't be a problem. The others will have to share the rent or get another tenant to take your place.

I'm not sure, because the landlords came off as a bit fake to me as well. I think officially I have to pay the rent until my flatmates find someone new, and if they have been so mean to me so far, I'm worried they might take forever to make me pay more. But hopefully I will find out at Mietverein if I have the right to end paying by the deadline I gave on paper if they block me from finding a new candidate.

Thank you everyone for your kind replies - but I don't think pranking them or acting badly in order to be kicked out will be fair, and it might just make things worse. I just want to get out as smoothly as I can. And if I do something awful on purpose, everyone I work with will know about this and I don't want to have even worse reputation than my flatmate already gave me.

16 hours ago, zbutazbuta said:

I asked my German boyfriend to help me, he read the old contract with me, checked websites online, and wrote a 'termination letter' of the lease. The landlords signed it and said it was okay and that they just have to renew the contract with the new person. They were very nice and understanding. I told the flatmates before that I am moving out.

Two months after I handed in the letter, the landlords emailed me saying that the termination of the lease is void, because for the lease to be cancelled, all the lessors have to sign

So you have it in writing *and signed* by the landlord you can leave by yourself!

Definitely take that to the Mieterverein ASAP and see if that isn't good enough to escape by yourself!

All the best.

9 hours ago, Metall said:

So you have it in writing *and signed* by the landlord you can leave by yourself!

Definitely take that to the Mieterverein ASAP and see if that isn't good enough to escape by yourself!

All the best.

Thank you for your kind reply. I hope so too, they signed the document, which stated the date of leaving over 3 months in advance. I hope I will find out soon whether it will be okay!

13 hours ago, LeChamois said:

Mietrecht.org explains exactly this situation - all four of you are on the lease. There is also the possibility that each one of you has an individual contract with the landlords but that does not seem to be the case.

1. Alle WG-Mitglieder sind Hauptmieter

I am with Leon, if you want out of a rental contract nobody is his right mind should try to stop you.

Thank you very much for your advice, I will check out the link now!

Unfortunately my appointment with Mieterverein is only in 3 weeks, so it will take a while to find out...

On 14/08/2017, 16:03:58, Metall said:

Didn't you tell them it is urgent?

I did, but they said there are no earlier appointments available. They advised me to call every couple of days to see if there were any cancelled appointments I could take. So unfortunately I have to wait...