Changing jobs on a blue card before it expires

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a kind of a unique situation which I didn't get any proper answer from reading all over yet.

I am working for a company which I joined the last September. Due to a few problems, I have decided to leave the job although I haven't told them of my decision yet. The contract has 3 months notice period from both sides and because of that, I haven't even started looking for a new job. 

My plan is to inform them ASAP, leave by the end of November, go to my home-country for a month and then join a new job in a new city (preferably Berlin)

Now I read a few articles and forum posts and read that when I change job I have to go to ABH and get some kind of permission letter for a change of job.

but in my case, I want to resign and then start looking for a job in my notice period and I want a break between my current job and next job(in a different city). All of this when my blue card which is associated with my current company expires March, 2018.

Does this sound plausible? Can someone give me some advice whether I should do this? I really want to leave this present company before the end of the year. 

Thanks 

8 hours ago, guyfromoutside said:

I am working for a company which I joined the last September. Due to a few problems, I have decided to leave the job although I haven't told them of my decision yet. The contract has 3 months notice period from both sides and because of that, I haven't even started looking for a new job. 

Since your permit is tied to your employment, you are required to notify the ABH if your employment is terminated for any reason (see  §82 Abs 6 AufenthG).

My plan is to inform them ASAP, leave by the end of November, go to my home-country for a month and then join a new job in a new city (preferably Berlin)

You do realise that Berlin is the economic black hole of Germany, right? Make sure you have sufficient savings to fund your move and cover your expenses while you look for a job.

but in my case, I want to resign and then start looking for a job in my notice period and I want a break between my current job and next job(in a different city). All of this when my blue card which is associated with my current company expires March, 2018.

As a Blue Card holder you are entitled to 3 months after your employment ends to stay in Germany and look for a job. 

If you quit your job, you will normally have a Sperrzeit of 3 months during which time you are not eligible for unemployment insurance benefits. 

If you quit your job, sever ties to Germany, and go home, your permit becomes void (see §51 Abs 1 Nr 6). It is, therefore, important that you continue with your German health insurance, remain registered etc.

Does this sound plausible? Can someone give me some advice whether I should do this?

My advice:

1. Quit your job

2. Notify your ABH 

3. Contact your Krankenkasse to make arrangements to continue your insurance. 

4. Start looking for a new job before you leave on vacation.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SUFFICIENT FUNDS TO FINANCE YOUR PLANS!

@engelchen Thanks for such detailed insights, that was really nicely written.

Assuming I would need 1 - 1.5 K per month for subsistence, I can manage for 5-6 months without any job.

My main concern was:

1. Do I need to inform ABH before leaving the present job or before joining the new job? I am concerned because I read I need some kind of a permission.

2. I do plan to find a new job before going on a vacation and during that time as well, I would have my place of residence. If I get my new job from Jan 18, I would have to manage my insurance myself for 2 months, how would TK handle that case when I don't have a job for a couple of months? 

3. I am not severing my ties with Germany for now, and I would want to get my new job before much before my Blue Card expires on March 18. So, from what I read this thing shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks a lot, TT has been an amazing forum so far. :)

@Uncle Nick I am not looking right away because if I can't leave my current job, I wouldn't be able to join anywhere new and that, I feel, would be unprofessional. So once I know I can leave, I would start looking ASAP, and I am in IT so I am assuming it wouldn't be a lot of pain as well.

You can apply and let them know that you will not be available until a certain date because you are currently employed! Most employers will understand the situation as they also have a "Kündigungsfrist" and it's usually easier to find another job if you don't have to write unemployed on your cv. Another possibility to start a new job is an "Aufehebungsvertrag"  with your current employer, though they might not be willing to accept.

I absolutely also recommend looking for a new job now. Don't underestimate the length of the German hiring process. I submitted a bunch of CVs in April, forgot all about them, was approached by 3 of the companies I contacted around mid-June and received an offer first week of July. These were international companies that I thought would be faster to react than mid-size German companies.

what I have seen so far is that the larger the company, the longer the hiring process takes :/

It is not at all unprofessional to start looking now, even if you can't start a new job for three months as that is a fairly standard notice period in Germany.  It would "look" more professional to secure a new position before quitting your current job.  Employers expect to wait, and they take their time on their side too.  Start applying.  There is ZERO harm.

Hi guyfromoutside,

It is important you start looking frantically for a job now and even find a job before leaving. Else, you might be unemployed for sometime, a situation which is not very easy accommodating. On the one hand, you need references or Arbeitszeugnis. You might start reading about this now as some employers might choose to write negative references (by using secret codes that you might be unaware of) for you to prevent you from finding a job. Consider these issues and be sure you are in the right direction before leaving the country.

Many thanks

@Uncle Nick @vmelchers @lisa13 I am confused in my current situation because I am not sure whether I should look for a job without informing my current employers, is it a normal practice to let the employers know only when I secure another job? 

If I wait to resign till I secure a new job then I would still have to work for 3 months(notice period), would that be acceptable to a new employer? 

When do I inform the ABH, after securing the new job or after resigning?  I tried calling them but they dont speak english and my german is not that good to have a conversation about employment.

@papak Is arbeitszeugnis or references as you mention it really that important? I work in the IT domain and I haven't seen it being used anywhere so far. 

at the end, thanks a lot for such amazing responses :)

I wouldn't inform my current company if I was applying to other companies unless I got accepted. If you do get accepted and need to start there before your notice period is over you could ask your present company for an "Aufhebungsvertrag" - cancellation of your contract.

Agree with Uncle Nick. 

About the reference letter, I also work in IT and they usually ask for contact details of previous colleagues/managers to call or email them directly if they want their opinion. A German zeugnis is not required. Many international companies have their recruitment staff out of UK / US and Eastern Europe, they probably wouldn't read the German Zeugnis anyhow.  It's a nice to have but not necessary. Having colleagues/mentors/managers willing to provide feedback to a recruiter is much more important.

I would also recommend looking for a new job before quitting your current one.

Once you have a new offer on the table you can use it to negotiate better conditions where you are or ask to terminate your current contract early. The new job will be expecting a delayed start as a 3 month termination period is standard practice in Germany.