Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to open a bank account without a permanent address?

16 posts in this topic

Hi there.

I was wondering if someone may be able to help me, any advice would be very helpfull.

I am about to move to Berlin.  I will be staying on a friends sofa untill I get the money together for a flat.

I understand that once I find a apartment, i then take the proof of residence to the town hall and I can then get what is needed to get myself a bank account.

Now, without a bank account I am unable to get a job as the wages can not be paid in, so without a job and money i am unable to get a place?

Is there any way i can open a bank account without a proof of residency?  Also when I start working officially, will the employer require a proof of address?

I am from the Uk so am a EU citizen ( just! )

thanks a lot

regards

15 minutes ago, seanmonkey said:

I am about to move to Berlin.  I will be staying on a friends sofa untill I get the money together for a flat.

I would highly recommend waiting to move until you've saved some money. Especially if you don't have the technical skills that are needed here.

I understand that once I find a apartment, i then take the proof of residence to the town hall and I can then get what is needed to get myself a bank account.

Without a steady job and credit history, it has become very difficult to find an apartment in Berlin. You are better off looking for a sublet or shared accommodation (assuming you can't stay on your friends sofa for 6 months).

Theoretically you can spend 3 months in Germany as a tourist with your EHIC as long as you are not working, however, it is only possible to sign up for public health insurance within 3 months of arrival. There is no NHS here and public health insurance will cost you about 170€/month if you are not working and don't have other sources of income. 

23 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Check out bank N26 you can open a German bank account online and (I believe) use your current non german address.

The OP's UK address would not work for that. The list of countries where N26 is available keeps growing but the UK is not yet included. You can check here: https://support.n26.com/read/000001280?locale=en

If the OP still has his UK address I suggest he get a revolut.com card. It comes with a sterling and a euro account, which can be used to have wages paid in in euros. The euro account is Lithuanian, not German, but that shouldn't be an obstacle for the OP's purposes: it's a SEPA euro-denominated account that accepts third-party payments.

I know this is going to be very unpopular, but it is the truth. I find it interesting how determined many here are to do things the right way. Maybe that explains why societies here remain orderly. The circles I am used to would solve this by filing a fictitious address. For whatever reason, it works. But mostly depends on the size of your testicles for risk.

1 hour ago, Dunkle Schokolade said:

I know this is going to be very unpopular, but it is the truth. I find it interesting how determined many here are to do things the right way. Maybe that explains why societies here remain orderly. The circles I am used to would solve this by filing a fictitious address. For whatever reason, it works. But mostly depends on the size of your testicles for risk.

That helps explain mess and corruption in places like Kenya.

2 hours ago, seanmonkey said:

Hi there.

I was wondering if someone may be able to help me, any advice would be very helpfull.

Now, without a bank account I am unable to get a job as the wages can not be paid in, so without a job and money i am unable to get a place?

Is there any way i can open a bank account without a proof of residency?  Also when I start working officially, will the employer require a proof of address?

I am from the Uk so am a EU citizen ( just! )

thanks a lot

regards

Can your friend not sign the form needed  for registration? Explain when you do Anmeldung that it is short term rental. Then take Uk bank stements/ info to a bank - maybe Sparkasse and sign with them?

( of course, as soon as you register you need to sort health insurance)

Did you read UK gov. Website on "moving to Germany"?

When dealing with a government it generally depends on what their objectives are against your own. If they want to achieve something that you are trying to avoid... it may not be a good idea to feed them info against your position.

1 minute ago, Dunkle Schokolade said:

When dealing with a government it generally depends on what their objectives are against your own. If they want to achieve something that you are trying to avoid... it may not be a good idea to feed them info against your position.

🙄

Thanks for all the input, is very helpful to get different perspective on things.

Dunkle, I think you may be onto something 😉

Quick update!

I sent a email to a friend of a friend I met last time I was in Germany.  No problems at all he said I could Register to his address.  Also after about 5 working days of registering I can pop in to the tax office in person, show my passport and they read out my number. So I will be all good to work with no emergency tax.

Lovely stuff

On 8/10/2017, 7:49:05, Dunkle Schokolade said:

It is not that Germans don't have courage, as you seem to be suggesting with the "depends on the size of your testicles" comment. It is simply that Germans value their society and the stability of their society. They realize that in order for their society to function properly for everyone now and for their children in the future, they all must work in harmony with the laws and regulations of the society in which they are living. These laws are not haphazard or red tape - these laws exist for very very good reasons.

These laws and the compliance of the vast majority of German citizens are the main reason why the German economy sustained the massive 2008 world economic collapse so well and also the reason why Germany's economy is currently going so strong (and is actually entering an upswing with unemployment at record lows and the real-estate market at record highs) despite the fact that other European economies are suffering or wavering at best. Compliance and doing things *the right way* and the legal way works. Besides in Germany they will typically find out when you lie. This isn't New York or Southern Italy where you have to be rather dishonest just to be able to survive (I am speaking from first-hand experience) with little or even big fibs here and there. Germany is very different, not perfect but their ways work a heck of a lot better than the American way.

And for the record, Germans are some of the boldest blinking people that I've ever encountered. They are historically proud, strong, and warlike when they feel they need to be. But they are also historically more ready to love according to what's best for "the greater good" and are more forward-thinking than most.

On 8/10/2017, 9:06:26, RedMidge said:

That helps explain mess and corruption in places like Kenya.

And America, and Italy, and Greece - the list goes on. I will never understand the people that immediately think "hey let me break the law and be dishonest!" or who encourage dishonesty rather than simply trying to work to find a legitimate way to do things.