Agent Requests "Commission" To Ensure I Get Apartment

9 posts in this topic

I'm sure this must have come up before but couldn't find when I searched...

I'm in the super fun marathon of finding a flat in Berlin. One agent was particularly communicative during the process so I was cautiously optimistic. He emailed me on Monday, informing me that the owner decided to rent the flat to a couple. I thanked him and moved on. Yesterday, I received the below email:

i could manage, did you can get the apartment if you still want it, but could we find a little solution for let's say a kind of comission for 500 €?

Best regards 

I know this is illegal since they changed the law a few years back - that the owner is paying him a fee. I have zero intention of paying him his requested extortion. Where/how can I report him beyond a bad review on immowelt? (I forwarded to Expath as an FYI.) Should I respond to him at all?

He's definitely an established agent and not the typical con lister.

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 14.43.30.png

Ummm there is no Harbor Square 1 address in Berlin. He is NOT legit and that email is clearly a product of Google Translate.

16 minutes ago, Santitas said:

Ummm there is no Harbor Square 1 address in Berlin. He is NOT legit and that email is clearly a product of Google Translate.

There is, however, a Hafenplatz 1 in 10963 Berlin, and Fritz Sichler seems to be a legit realtor, at least according to the googles. "Harbor Square 1" is an overly ambitious translation by Google Translate.

That demand is certainly not on the up and up, obviously. He's trying to extort money from you in exchange for a service.

If you're up for it, go to your local police station with a copy of the e-mail and file charges against him for Nötigung. But if you're really desperate for the apartment, agree to paying the "fee" (avoid actually paying it if you can), if that's what it takes to get the flat, and don't file the charges against him until you've signed the lease.

If worst comes to worst, you can sue for your money back when you file charges against him.

Scummy real estate agents are all too frequent in Berlin. Hope you get this guy by the balls.

2 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

Or tell him if he pays you €500 you won't report him to the police ;) 

This also constitutes extortion, and is thus a Bad Idea - just in case the OP gets the wrong impression from your obviously ironic (winking) post.

3 hours ago, Allershausen said:

There is, however, a Hafenplatz 1,10963 Berlin.

Edit: El Jeffo beat me to it.

Great minds think alike. Sometimes even with identical wording...

Sorry to hear about that unfortunate situation but on the positive side you did not pay anything, 

This is the website that is sometimes used to actually post the advertisement from the rental websites to report scams if that is the case

https://wohnungsbetrug.blogspot.de

How it seems to work with new laws on agency fees. When the landlord hires the agency he pays. When you hire the agency you pay. You see more and more ads on the websites these days "Privat" because nobody wants to pay these crazy fees. 

If you do consider at some point paying an agency these fees can usually be negotiated nowadays as the agencies are loosing business. Most importantly don't agree anybodys help to find a place in an Email. There should be a formal signed contract in your interest so it's clear who gets paid what. 

Also found this on Immowelt so as EL Jeffo mentioned seems to be Hafenplatz

Fritz Sichler Immobilien

Hafenplatz 1

10963 Berlin

Telefon: 0163-3113241

Mobil: 0163-3113241

Also there is a website 

https://www.fritzsichlerimmobilien.de/about/