Is it a good idea to buy a Diesel Euro 4 car now

50 posts in this topic

Hey Toytowners, I need some help, and thought of tagging along this post, which has similar relevant info. I am living in Paris now & driving a 11-year old Toyota RAV4 Diesel automatic transmission, 4 WD here. We are moving to Hofheim (western suburb of Frankfurt) in a few days, and I am thinking of bringing my car along with me. I wanted if any of you has an idea if I would be able to use this car at least for 2-3 more years in Germany without much hassle in quickly getting in registered in Germany, and getting a new insurance here. Is there any time limit on number of days the car can be driven by me here with the French registration? Can I drive it for a few days with the French insurance, or is it also possible to get this car insurance in Germany a couple of days before I move?

Hi, I think you have 6 months to register it after you register yourself in Germany. But it's not just registering, you need to pass a TüV test.

Thanks Mike. Do you see any risk in passing TUV test? The car has been regularly serviced & certified by local authorities in France every 2-years for emissions etc. Should we expect German TUV to have a much stricter approval process than the authorities in France?

2 minutes ago, mayank said:

Thanks Mike. Do you see any risk in passing TUV test? The car has been regularly serviced & certified by local authorities in France every 2-years for emissions etc. Should we expect German TUV to have a much stricter approval process than the authorities in France?

Well, 2 friends of mine from Portugal made the mistake of bringing their car and they both failed the test...

I don't know about car taxes in France vs Germany, but for example in the case of Portugal, it makes no sense to bring in a car. Cars in Germany are much cheaper than in Portugal.

Thanks a lot Mike. If I try to sell this car in a hurry in France, I won’t get more than 4kEuros; and if I would buy also in a hurry an equivalent 10-yr old well maintained mini-SUV in Germany, I guess I will spend much more than that. Therefore, my concern is the hassle & time needed to get it approved by TUV,  to get it registered here in Germany, and get a new insurance here. Is it possible to complete all this within the time allowed to do the same (is it 6months after moving here?), or do we see a risk? (As you said, your friends from Portugal could not pass the tests, so itbseems to be very high risk!!)

You have several options. You could move now, drive for a while and within 6 months sell it in France, for example with the help of a relative.

6 months is also enough time to get it to pass Tüv, but it depends if and how much they find. For example rusty brake cables might pass in other countries (or are not even inspected).

Both my friends eventually passed Tüv but they had extensive repairs to do. It's doable in 6 months.

Mike, I took your suggestion & sold off the RAV4 Diesel here in France for 9kEuros. Will need to find something quickly to buy now in Frankfurt. Is autoscout.de the best option to look for a quick purchase of a slightly used car (SUV <2 year old, <40k kms)?

15 hours ago, mayank said:

Is autoscout.de the best option to look for a quick purchase of a slightly used car (SUV <2 year old, <40k kms)?

You can also look into mobile.de. A quick purchase can be made either from dealer or a private sale. A two year vehicle will still be under manufacturer warranty. 

If the car is properly maintained the HU (formerly known as TÜV check) is not a big deal, something around 300 EUR - 1000 EUR in repairs if something comes up.   But if it is not properly maintained it could be much more expensive.

You can bring it and drive it for six months, you could in that time bring it to a garage for a HU pre-inspection and they will tell you how much it will cost to get it.   If it is too much you then can decide you next step.