Question about uni entrance via vocation degree...

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

First post here so excuse me if this is the wrong place!

I have a question about entrance requirements to a university (undergrad). I've scoured the internet and forums for an answer and can't find one. I've got radio silence from the university so I'm reaching out here.

I am an American. I have a HS diploma - no SAT or ACT. I also have a 2 year foundation (vocational) degree from the UK (in the UK this counts as 3/4 of a BA Hons, I could have attended one more year to have a full BA Hons). On top of that I will have 2 years work experience once I apply.

I am looking at Brandenburg University of Technology for an English taught undergrad program. They do list a vocation degree + work experience as qualified to enter, has anyone ever done this before? I'm having problems looking at uni-assist/DAAD/anabin because my education is mixed American/UK and the only option I find on top of an American HS diploma is an Associates which isn't quite accurate to what I have. 

Also, if anyone knows, does freelance work count as work experience? Part of my work experience is with the government so no problem verifying that, but I am not sure what they will ask for (if anything) to verify my freelance work. Again I have asked the uni but no response in a week so I'm getting jittery to find out.

It's not super urgent as I plan on attending 2018 winter semester but I'd like to know far in advance if I need to do anything else.

Thanks a lot. If you need more info I left out please ask

Thanks!!

36 minutes ago, barkbarkbarkbarkdog said:

I've got radio silence from the university so I'm reaching out here.

I don't think the BTU really has anyone left responsible for evaluating foreign qualifications; they rely on uni-assist. 

I am an American. I have a HS diploma - no SAT or ACT. I also have a 2 year foundation (vocational) degree from the UK (in the UK this counts as 3/4 of a BA Hons, I could have attended one more year to have a full BA Hons). On top of that I will have 2 years work experience once I apply.

Is there any way for you to complete the year you need and obtain a BA Hons from the UK?

They do list a vocation degree + work experience as qualified to enter, has anyone ever done this before? I'm having problems looking at uni-assist/DAAD/anabin because my education is mixed American/UK and the only option I find on top of an American HS diploma is an Associates which isn't quite accurate to what I have. 

It is not possible to look up qualifications that don't fit the standard requirements. The only way to get a definite answer is to file an application. 

It's not super urgent as I plan on attending 2018 winter semester but I'd like to know far in advance if I need to do anything else.

For which programme are you planning on applying?

8 minutes ago, engelchen said:

I don't think the BTU really has anyone left responsible for evaluating foreign qualifications; they rely on uni-assist. 

Is there any way for you to complete the year you need and obtain a BA Hons from the UK?

It is not possible to look up qualifications that don't fit the standard requirements. The only way to get a definite answer is to file an application. 

For which programme are you planning on applying?

I asked BTU because if you want to apply via the vocational route, it doesn't go through uni-assist. There's a separate team actually at BTU with email and phone contacts etc. You send the documents to them. I assume they're busy because the deadline is relatively soon... Here is the reference page for applying

I can't finish the BA Hons for a couple reasons - I am not interested in that specific course anymore, I don't have the money to do it, and even if I did, living in London for another year of my life would drive me to suicide. 

I'm applying to the Environmental and Resource Management program.

Sorry I'm having issues quoting more elegantly, new to this forum.

On 09/08/2017, 17:08:32, barkbarkbarkbarkdog said:

I asked BTU because if you want to apply via the vocational route, it doesn't go through uni-assist. There's a separate team actually at BTU with email and phone contacts etc. You send the documents to them. I assume they're busy because the deadline is relatively soon... Here is the reference page for applying

After reading the requirements on the German page and the BbgHG, I don't think you meet the requirements for the vocational route.

Furthermore, unless your husband is employed (not self-employed!) in Germany, you are not even eligible to apply with vocational qualifications (see §9 BbgHG). 

I would highly recommend applying with all your documents ASAP and see what they say.

BTW, don't worry about the quotes; the new system is finicky. 

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

After reading the requirements on the German page and the BbgHG, I don't think you meet the requirements for the vocational route.

Furthermore, unless your husband is employed (not self-employed!) in Germany, you are not even eligible to apply with vocational qualifications (see §9 BbgHG). 

I would highly recommend applying with all your documents ASAP and see what they say.

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

This is from the pdf on the page I liked, it doesn't mention anything about me needing to be married? ? I'm not actually married officially btw, we just would if it would help us financially. lol 

"Early school leaving certificate or equivalent as well as a successfully completed 
vocational training appropriate for the desired degree programme. In this case, a 
minimum of two additional years of work experience must be supplemented (work 
experience in the associated field of the degree programme of the BTU)"

I actually think I might qualify on the traditional route, I just got my HS transcript today and the only problem is that I'm one English credit short. I have no idea how, but I am. the only problem now is if they count a 2 year degree from the UK the same as a 2 year degree from the US.

overall I'm pretty confused. I can't even apply at uni assist right now because I have to wait until the application period opens again NEXT MAY :(

51 minutes ago, barkbarkbarkbarkdog said:

This is from the pdf on the page I liked, it doesn't mention anything about me needing to be married? ?

First of all, the English version of German texts are for informational purposes only, they have no legal relevance. 

Second, the BbgHG ( http://bravors.brandenburg.de/gesetze/bbghg_2016 ) is quite clearly referenced on the page to which you linked.

In §9 of the BbgHG the various requirements for admission are outlined. You have to read §9 to understand the specifics. 

I'm not actually married officially btw, we just would if it would help us financially. lol 

For some reason I thought you were married to an EU citizen. :huh: 

I actually think I might qualify on the traditional route, I just got my HS transcript today and the only problem is that I'm one English credit short.

What was your GPA?

overall I'm pretty confused. I can't even apply at uni assist right now because I have to wait until the application period opens again NEXT MAY :(

If you really want an answer (and are willing to pay for it) you can apply to another uni-assist evaluated programme that has a deadline soon.

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

First of all, the English version of German texts are for informational purposes only, they have no legal relevance. 

Second, the BbgHG ( http://bravors.brandenburg.de/gesetze/bbghg_2016 ) is quite clearly referenced on the page to which you linked.

In §9 of the BbgHG the various requirements for admission are outlined. You have to read §9 to understand the specifics. 

What was your GPA?

If you really want an answer (and are willing to pay for it) you can apply to another uni-assist evaluated programme that has a deadline soon.

I just read the English translation and my impression is at the beginning they are defining what a "German" is, and go on to list EU national, spouse of a German or stateless person etc. It doesnt seem to do with who can be admitted but rather laying groundwork? Later down I read (translated):

(3) Higher education may also be granted to anyone who can prove a qualification obtained abroad, which corresponds to one of the qualifications listed in paragraph 2, sentence 1, points 5 to 11, and which demonstrates the necessary language knowledge for the degree

It just seems extremely EXTREMELY strange to me they wouldn't say anywhetr you have to be EU or EU spouse anywhere on their website re: vocational training since it is all in english and there are multiple places you find info on it. 

My gpa was average but my math and science scores were best. GPA won't help me unless they look at individual subjects.

I'll wait for the uni to get back to me and then go to uni assist if they don't. 

On 8/11/2017, 5:50:37, engelchen said:

What was your GPA?

Just an update, I got a response from the uni. You don't have to be a spouse of a German or anything.

"The best way to apply with a foreign vocational degree would be to get your degree accredited from the German “Handwerkskammer” or “IHK”. On the following website you can find authorities who do this in Germany:

http://anabin.kmk.org/no_cache/filter/anerkennungs-und-beratungsstellen-in-deutschland.html

If you receive this accreditation you would be able to apply on our website directly, via our online system."