International student gets caught shoplifting

29 posts in this topic

I'm an international student schooling in Germany..I did a wrong thing and tried shoplifting three stuffs for about 30€ total, I was caught. Will this affect my resident permit extension next month? And will I have a criminal record?

Reported to the police, this is my first ever issue with the police or anything and I am deeply dissapointed in myself..

9 hours ago, Dexterr said:

Will this affect my resident permit extension next month?

Rather not. Was it reported to the police? The whole case will not be ended next month anyway, it will take some time for the police to investigate, get your statement etc. and the for the state lawyer and a court to proceed with it.

9 hours ago, Dexterr said:

And will I have a criminal record?

Not if this was the first offense.

But when you'll be asked in future or have to fill in questionnaires: tell the truth. Authorities can see more than only the criminal record and they'll know that you were caught shoplifting. And when the Beamte ask you next month whether there is something still pending, say 'yes' and tell them what it is.

2 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

Rather not. Was it reported to the police? The whole case will not be ended next month anyway, it will take some time for the police to investigate, get your statement etc. and the for the state lawyer and a court to proceed with it.

Not if this was the first offense.

But when you'll be asked in future or have to fill in questionnaires: tell the truth. Authorities can see more than only the criminal record and they'll know that you were caught shoplifting. And when the Beamte ask you next month whether there is something still pending, say 'yes' and tell them what it is.

What Is the Beamte?...I know i Did a very wrong thing and I don't know what came over me but I really pray this doesn't mess things up than it is supposed to. I am ready to pay any fine imposed as far it doesn't affect my residency/traveling in and out of the country. Hopefully I don't get a criminal record and I won't definitely deny any questions in the future. 

26 minutes ago, Dexterr said:

What Is the Beamte?

http://www.dict.cc/deutsch-englisch/Beamter.html

26 minutes ago, Dexterr said:

I am ready to pay any fine imposed as far it doesn't affect my residency/traveling in and out of the country.

You can't 'influence' the outcome by paying, this is Germany. Don't even try it. 

What Is the Beamte?

Ask them that question when they're having you locked up ;)

Criminal record?

Probably as long as your arm :ph34r:

Now seriously:

you can listen to the more sensible answers above.

As has been said, it's a first offence, you seem to be showing remorse, just take the hit and apologise and all should be forgiven.

4 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

I don't mean it that way, I know this. I know d fines would come definitely and I can't escape it. I just hope it is nothing more than the fines ?. Keeping my fingers crossed right now. Thanks for your contributions, I will update as it goes. Danke schön. 

http://www.dict.cc/deutsch-englisch/Beamter.html

You can't 'influence' the outcome by paying, this is Germany. Don't even try it. 

2 hours ago, Malt-Teaser said:

Ask them that question when they're having you locked up ;)

Criminal record?

Probably as long as your arm :ph34r:

Now seriously:

you can listen to the more sensible answers above.

As has been said, it's a first offence, you seem to be showing remorse, just take the hit and apologise and all should be forgiven.

I definitely will apologize when given the chance too, but for now I know I am expecting letters upon letters. Thanks anyways 

7 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

Do you have any source for that or are you just trying to scare him? What sort of "Beamte" do you think has direct access to his police record? I think youre having a bit of a laugh with this. Germany is about privacy.  Bad advice.

1. The shop will most probably issue you a Hausverbot = entrance ban. It will be valid in all shops of the same company Germany wide. Take this ban seriously, its violation will lead to jail time and the end of your residence in Germany.

2. As for the punishment the prosecutors will usually offer you to pay a 3 number fine in return for closing the case and clear criminal record. After you pay this fine, you are clear (but the case will still be internally recorded in case you commit this one again), the Ausländerbehörde will not have any knowledge of it. 

3 minutes ago, Atrag said:

Do you have any source for that

For what exactly? Start reading this:

"§ 79 Entscheidung über den Aufenthalt

(1) Über den Aufenthalt von Ausländern wird auf der Grundlage der im Bundesgebiet bekannten Umstände und zugänglichen Erkenntnisse entschieden. Über das Vorliegen der Voraussetzungen des § 60 Absatz 5 und 7 entscheidet die Ausländerbehörde auf der Grundlage der ihr vorliegenden und im Bundesgebiet zugänglichen Erkenntnisse und, soweit es im Einzelfall erforderlich ist, der den Behörden des Bundes außerhalb des Bundesgebiets zugänglichen Erkenntnisse.

(2) Beantragt ein Ausländer, 

1. gegen den wegen des Verdachts einer Straftat oder einer Ordnungswidrigkeit ermittelt wird oder

2. (...)

die Erteilung oder Verlängerung eines Aufenthaltstitels, ist die Entscheidung über den Aufenthaltstitel bis zum Abschluss des Verfahrens, im Falle einer gerichtlichen Entscheidung bis zu deren Rechtskraft auszusetzen, es sei denn, über den Aufenthaltstitel kann ohne Rücksicht auf den Ausgang des Verfahrens entschieden werden. Im Fall des § 1600 Abs. 1 Nr. 5 des Bürgerlichen Gesetzbuchs ist das Verfahren ab Eingang der Mitteilung nach § 87 Abs. 6 oder nach § 90 Abs. 5 auszusetzen."

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/aufenthg_2004/__79.html

The good news for @Dexterr is

"Eine Aussetzung nach § 79 AufenthG muss aber dann nicht erfolgen, wenn ohne Rücksicht auf den Ausgang des Verfahrens entscheiden werden kann. Ein Beispiel ist hier der Diebstahl eines geringwertigen Gegenstandes, wenn der Täter sonst unbescholten ist. Hier wäre trotz strafbarem Verhalten ein Ausweisungsgrund nicht gegeben (vgl. § 5 I Nr. 2 i.V.m. § 55 II Nr. 2 AufenthG)."

That's why I wrote it would "rather not" affect his resident permit extension next month.

3 minutes ago, Atrag said:

or are you just trying to scare him? 

Nope. 

What sort of "Beamte" do you think has direct access to his police record?

Any Beamter that works for one of the variety of Behörden and Dienstellen listed in the Gesetz über das Zentralregister und das Erziehungsregister. And if you really want to know (I suggest next time you simply ask me in a civilized manner) who can get even those infos that are not part of the Führungszeugnis read this https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/bzrg/__41.html

Under "7" you will find 

"Ausländerbehörden und dem Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge, wenn sich die Auskunft auf einen Ausländer bezieht,"

Surprise, surprise. 

Thanks for the information. I am surprised. I knew of the laws that meant that only some types of employers can ask for criminal record information and even then it doesnt show everything - in my opinion allowing unsuitable people into positions of trust.

Of course though, there won't be any information about him in the central register. I wonder if they would even find out he was under investigation. It may be better for him to "misunderstand" any questions relating to if he is under investigation and answer no. 

3 hours ago, yourkeau said:

1. The shop will most probably issue you a Hausverbot = entrance ban. It will be valid in all shops of the same company Germany wide. Take this ban seriously, its violation will lead to jail time and the end of your residence in Germany.

2. As for the punishment the prosecutors will usually offer you to pay a 3 number fine in return for closing the case and clear criminal record. After you pay this fine, you are clear (but the case will still be internally recorded in case you commit this one again), the Ausländerbehörde will not have any knowledge of it. 

Thank you for this insightful reply;

-- Yes i was given a year ban from shopping similar store under same company name, nationwide and a life ban at that particular store I.e what that the security guy told me. I might get it in written form Maybe. Store was Rewe and I don't know if Penny is owned by the same company.

--hopefully the issue doesn't exceed fines right now. My biggest fear is the ausländer knowing about this and a criminal record. I know i messed up but I will do anything for this to slide down as it would never happen again.

3 hours ago, yourkeau said:

2 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

For what exactly? Start reading this:

"§ 79 Entscheidung über den Aufenthalt

(1) Über den Aufenthalt von Ausländern wird auf der Grundlage der im Bundesgebiet bekannten Umstände und zugänglichen Erkenntnisse entschieden. Über das Vorliegen der Voraussetzungen des § 60 Absatz 5 und 7 entscheidet die Ausländerbehörde auf der Grundlage der ihr vorliegenden und im Bundesgebiet zugänglichen Erkenntnisse und, soweit es im Einzelfall erforderlich ist, der den Behörden des Bundes außerhalb des Bundesgebiets zugänglichen Erkenntnisse.

(2) Beantragt ein Ausländer, 

1. gegen den wegen des Verdachts einer Straftat oder einer Ordnungswidrigkeit ermittelt wird oder

2. (...)

die Erteilung oder Verlängerung eines Aufenthaltstitels, ist die Entscheidung über den Aufenthaltstitel bis zum Abschluss des Verfahrens, im Falle einer gerichtlichen Entscheidung bis zu deren Rechtskraft auszusetzen, es sei denn, über den Aufenthaltstitel kann ohne Rücksicht auf den Ausgang des Verfahrens entschieden werden. Im Fall des § 1600 Abs. 1 Nr. 5 des Bürgerlichen Gesetzbuchs ist das Verfahren ab Eingang der Mitteilung nach § 87 Abs. 6 oder nach § 90 Abs. 5 auszusetzen."

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/aufenthg_2004/__79.html

The good news for @Dexterr is

"Eine Aussetzung nach § 79 AufenthG muss aber dann nicht erfolgen, wenn ohne Rücksicht auf den Ausgang des Verfahrens entscheiden werden kann. Ein Beispiel ist hier der Diebstahl eines geringwertigen Gegenstandes, wenn der Täter sonst unbescholten ist. Hier wäre trotz strafbarem Verhalten ein Ausweisungsgrund nicht gegeben (vgl. § 5 I Nr. 2 i.V.m. § 55 II Nr. 2 AufenthG)."

That's why I wrote it would "rather not" affect his resident permit extension next month.

Nope. 

Any Beamter that works for one of the variety of Behörden and Dienstellen listed in the Gesetz über das Zentralregister und das Erziehungsregister. And if you really want to know (I suggest next time you simply ask me in a civilized manner) who can get even those infos that are not part of the Führungszeugnis read this https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/bzrg/__41.html

Under "7" you will find 

"Ausländerbehörden und dem Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge, wenn sich die Auskunft auf einen Ausländer bezieht,"

Surprise, surprise. 

wow, thanks! But does it mean it won't affect the permit extension because investigation will still be going on?  Anyways, I can breathe well now sensing a glimpse of hope on this.. I appreciate y'll and I will definitely try to understand my stand on this at the end of everything so sometime in the future I won't give a fake reply or a different reply that wasn't needed hence shooting myself in the foot. Thanks again, I'm just enjoy the well deserved ban and find other alternatives. 

23 hours ago, Atrag said:

I wonder if they would even find out he was under investigation. It may be better for him to "misunderstand" any questions relating to if he is under investigation and answer no. 

Yes, as far as I know (based on a real case) they will know the case number even if they won't know the details and they might request that he obtains a written statement from the police with some more information. There is no point lying (yes, lying), though in the case I'm thinking of the person actually did not even know about it as the case didn't go anywhere, but their name is now connected to the case number in the system. 

On 8/9/2017, 1:21:14, Dexterr said:

I'm an international student schooling in Germany..I did a wrong thing and tried shoplifting three stuffs for about 30€ total, I was caught. Will this affect my resident permit extension next month? And will I have a criminal record?

Despite all the good advice good TT people gave you, wtf is wrong with you kid? If u r trying to make a future here why on earth would you do such stuff? Your problem as you state it is not even doing it, but getting caught. Honestly no society in any country would like that, be it your home country or any. Why did you steal?

Fyi: i am far from the judgemental type but this time i couldn't refrain. Man steals and his only concirn is his resident permit, wtf?

Hi. Asking for my friend. She was caught shoplifting in Nov 2019. She paid the fine and had the case closed. Now she has to extend her resident permit and has an appointment in March. In the permit Form, she has been to asked to fill yes or no for the following question:

Würden Sie bereits zu einer Jugend oder Freiheitsstrafe bzw. zu einer Geldstrafe verurteilt? 

What she should answer. Please help? I have seen a similar query, so thought to get some advice. Dexter could you please share your experience. 

Thanks in advance

Did your "friend" pay the fine to the store or to the police/court? Because AFAIK only the latter is relevant.

She was caught and police was called. Then she got the letter from some lawyer and then she paid the amount of 98 euros. She got some letter then from staatsanwaltschaft.