Reclaiming payments into German pension after moving to the U.S.

65 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2017, 12:13:09, chrisv_7 said:

Thread to help people understand how pension refund can work after leaving Germany.

Official website for Pensions:

Deutsche Rentenversicherung Bund (DRB)

http://www.deutsche-rentenversicherung.de/Allgemein/en/Navigation/englisch_index_node.html

Pension Refund Requirement:

- US and various other non-EU citizens can claim back their German state pension contributions if they contribute in Germany for less than 5 years (60 monthly contributions).

- The claim can only be made 2 years after leaving Europe (EU/EEA/CH).

http://www.deutsche-rentenversicherung.de/Allgemein/en/Navigation/03_leistungen/03_beitragserstattung/beitragserstattung_node.html

DRB Email:

meinefrage@drv-bund.de

(All queries were sent to this email address. They will respond to emails in English too.)

Forms Required:

Please contact DRB and the German consulate in your country of residence to confirm the forms required.

1.  Form V0901 (Main claim for refund of pension contributions)

http://www.deutsche-rentenversicherung.de/Allgemein/de/Inhalt/5_Services/04_formulare_und_antraege/_pdf/V0901.html?cms_resultsPerPage=5&cms_templateQueryString=V0901+

2.  Form A1312-00 (Form in case refund is to be sent to a bank in USA or Canada)

http://www.deutsche-rentenversicherung.de/Allgemein/de/Inhalt/5_Services/04_formulare_und_antraege/_pdf/A1312.html?cms_submit=Los&cms_resultsPerPage=5&cms_templateQueryString=A1312-00

NOTE:

- If you have a German bank account then provide the IBAN number in Form V0901 (I requested a refund to my ComDirect Bank Account)

- For form V0901 - the Kennzeichen / Code does not need to be filled out

- I did not need Form A9060 "Lebens- und Staatsangehörigkeitsbescheinigung" / "Certificate of Life and Citizenship"

Confirmation of Personal Information in Forms at German Consulate:

- Make appointment in the Germany Consulate within your country of residence

- Take Passport and supporting documents (driver's license, utility bill or bank statement)

- There is no charge for confirmation of personal information for pension purposes

- German Consulate in USA website link for information and appointment: http://www.germany.info/signature

- Make appointment at the German Consulate for the purpose of "Signature Certifications / Authentications"  

Documents to send DRB:

1.  Passport copy

2.  Carbon copies from Social Security Record Booklet or relevant electronic vouchers from employer ( I sent my "Meldebescheinigung zur Sozialversicherung")

3.  Insurance cards number / copy of insurance card

4.  Check if any other doc can be sent (put tick mark in application) (e.g. Anmeldung / Abmeldung, Lohnsteuerbescheinigung, LohnKonto from firm)  

5.  Application Form (V0901)

Address of DRB in Germany to send Forms:

Deutsche Rentenversicherung Bund

Ruhrstr. 2

10709 Berlin

Germany

Timelines:

- DRB can take 6-8 weeks to respond and provide refund (my refund was processed in 4 weeks after DRB received my application)

My Scenario:

Citizenship: India

Country of Residence: USA (after leaving Germany)

Application for pension refund: After about 30 months of leaving Germany

Refund Received: About 4 weeks after application in my German bank account

Forms Sent: V0901

Year Sent: 2017

Can the funds be deposited into regular checking account? Or do they have to go into 401K account?

And if you deposit in regular checking account, do you have to pay taxes on the refund amount/

Thank you.

On 1/7/2020, 11:34:04, APATWA1988 said:

Can the funds be deposited into regular checking account? Or do they have to go into 401K account?

And if you deposit in regular checking account, do you have to pay taxes on the refund amount/

Thank you.

The funds will be deposited in the account of your choice. Form V901 asked you to provide your preferred bank account. It can be any account anywhere in the world. Also it does not have to be your account, e.g. if you want the money to go to someone else. 

On 8/7/2017, 1:13:09, chrisv_7 said:

Thread to help people understand how pension refund can work after leaving Germany.

Pension Refund Requirement:

- US and various other non-EU citizens can claim back their German state pension contributions if they contribute in Germany for less than 5 years (60 monthly contributions).

- The claim can only be made 2 years after leaving Europe (EU/EEA/CH).

http://www.deutsche-rentenversicherung.de/Allgemein/en/Navigation/03_leistungen/03_beitragserstattung/beitragserstattung_node.html

Hi Chrisv_7, 

what you mentioned as requirements is not correct/complete.

1. Citizenship does not matter at all.

2. It is also possible to get a refund for more than 5 years contributions.

3. The claim can only be made 2 years after your last contribution to the German Pension Scheme, not after leaving Europe (and you must be residing outside of the EU/EEA/CH at the time of filing the claim).

About 1. and 2.:

Eligibility for a refund is defined by the German Social Code, specifically in § 210 Abs. 1 Nr. 1 SGB VI.

(https://www.sozialgesetzbuch-sgb.de/sgbvi/210.html

The provision of Section 210 (1) No. 1 SGB VI grants insured persons a right to reimbursement if they are not subject to compulsory insurance and have no right to voluntary insurance.
Both requirements must be fulfilled at the same time.

Compulsory insurance to the Deutsche Rentenversicherung ends, once you leave Germany. 

If you reside outside the EU/EEA/CH in a non-contracting state, the Deutsche Rentenversicherung does not give you the right to voluntarily keep contributing to the pension scheme. 

If you fulfill both requirements, you are eligible for a refund of your contributions, no matter how long you have been contributing. 

BTW, I am a professional in this field for the past 12 years. Helping expats get refunds is our daily business. 

(Germanypensionrefund.com)

Hi there - this is important info, albeit a bit late for this particular fella after  3+ years, I am afraid.

But since you are a professional in this field:

a) welcome

b ) perhaps support Toytown by advertising?

c ) perhaps write a WIKI here on Toytown about this topic to help informing and educating Expats who are looking for such info?

I am active here since 2006 and it is a great place to assist Expats and make a name for yourself by offering free and worthwhile information and content to those looking for such info..

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Wondering if anyone had filed for their pension payments since March? My husband had sent his just before the COVID situation and received a response back in April. We sent his letter back and now are anxiously awaiting a deposit into our bank account.

I filed my pension refund in April as well and still have not received my first letter. I can only assume the DRV is operating slower than normal.