kitchen installation before redecorating possible?

10 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am moving to Ludwigshafen by the end of September this year with my family including a 5 year old kid. I have got an apartment but it is not at all prepared which means I have to paint or put the wallpaper and probably other things too. As starting from scratch to build a new home there, I think I should aim for a good  4-5,000 euros including deposit or even more. Since I don't have that much, I thought I will do it step by step where kitchen is the most important one in my list. Can someone tell me if I can install the kitchen (at least stove and refrigerator) before putting the 'raufhaser' on the wall. The place I am living now in Rostock is fully furnished, so I don't have any experience with this unfurnished/ no kitchen apartments. There is no wall paper in my current kitchen between the lower and upper countertops but tiles.

Quite honestly, you can decorate and install in whatever order you like, but you have to be able to live with the end result!

Are you planning to install the kitchen yourself or get a company to do it for you? If you are going for a company, you might want to get your skates on because delivery times can vary, and with the summer holidays and everything, it might be a bit of a push to get a kitchen done by September.

Might be worth bearing in mind that some kitchen items can be bought as "stand alone" models - cooker, fridge, etc, but the one absolute, definite that you will need is the sink, fitted and working.

If you have a sink, as rob says, a fridge and a table, you could go for some time with various electrical cookers - we use a Remoska http://www.lakeland.de/19454/Remoska%C2%AE-Original-Teflon%C2%AE-400-W

and a multicooker http://www.pearl.de/a-NC3820-3002.shtml;jsessionid=e7596FD0785E726B03CD256916730CE6F?vid=917&wa_id=40&wa_num=3109&utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKCAjw2ZXMBRB2EiwA2HVD-NGeIp0KmUEc7cNP7ceLln_7q6YzNG5EnxE8R6IWDWYVaypUcQQgWxoC3jAQAvD_BwE

sorry that link is so long! 

We do have a gas oven/hobs cooker, but the multicooker in particular is so well insulated, stuff cooks very quickly and stays warm endlessly, we use that for most things, really. Both can just hang around on a table, near a socket, and your basic needs are covered.

Hope you get sorted - it must be such a faff having to start in a blank apartment. 

Thanks robinson100 and kiplette for your quick reply. I haven't thought about sink. Thanks rob for reminding me : ) If I buy a sink, can I fix it myself? I have a budget of 2000 for kitchen, but I don't know if I can get electrical appliances also within that range (good quality ones). I have seen einbau kitchen in Röller within that range. Has anyone bought kitchen from Röller?

Another option is buying from Otto or other companies (?) in single pieces like AEG e-herd and fridge, but again the question is can I fix it between countertop later?This is the counter top I have in mind (https://www.otto.de/p/held-moebel-kuechenzeile-ohne-e-geraete-trient-breite-300-cm-479033716/#variationId=475270952). should I buy  Einbau-Kühl-Gefrierkombination  or Herd-Set to fit with the counter top later or can I buy stand alone models like these too (https://www.otto.de/p/beko-herdset-bum22323x-a-562004446/#variationId=552339106-M24) ? In fact I don't know the difference between this ''einbau' thing and stand alone  :unsure:. Both looks same in pics especially the E-herd.

I would not be able to fix it myself. From the knowledge I gained by going through this forum, I find myhammer.de is a good option, but I will also ask my new colleagues in Ludwigsahafen if they can suggest me some cheaper alternatives.

I planned to buy a Doppel induction cooktop, fridge and a table in the beginning (used ones most probably for a month or so). I have a pressure cooker already but I don't know if it works with the induction cooktop. I would buy also the multi cooker.  Thanks for the suggestion Kiplette.

If you was to purchase the kitchen as per your link from Otto then you would need an einbaubackofen like this and an inducktion kochfeld (hob) like this. If you were to buy the Herd set you posted above then they would have to remain together as one unit, you cannot put the oven in the cupboard to the left then the herd on the far right of the worktop, it just would not work hence the reason it's called a set. In addition, to keep the oven and herd together you would have to lose the drawers on the right which would cause another problem. A standard oven normally needs a cupboard with a 60cm width, the cupboard included with the units is 80cm wide so it would be to big and would look stupid.

Another aspect you need to consider if you are buying 2 separate units, the induction kochfeld will need it's own power source, this is normally dreh strom or three phase in english which should in theory already be present in most kitchens. The oven itself will also require its own source along with the dishwasher so I would advise you to contact an Electrician before you even think about fitting a kitchen.

If you want to check if your pressure cooker is induction compatible test it with a magnet, if the magnet sticks to the bottom it's compatible. A side note, please read up about using a pressure cooker on an induction hob, they are not the same as gas or ceramic and heat up much quicker, therefore you might need to start it off on a much lower temperature than you would normally do.

That was really very helpful. Thanks Sir Percy. I see, it is really complicated. Either I should go for a full kitchen with E-applicances or consider an electrician before doing any stupid things. Do you or someone has experience with full kitchen models  from Röller or Otto (HELD, WIHO etc) which is in the budget of 2000 -2500 euros and recommend it for long term use?

45 minutes ago, pinksamaras said:

Do you or someone has experience with full kitchen models  from Röller 

I guess you mean ROLLER – that's horrible cheapo stuff that won't last long. I'd look for IKEA, they give you  25 years warranty on the kitchen furniture.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017‎ ‎2‎:‎35‎:‎46‎, someonesdaughter said:

I guess you mean ROLLER – that's horrible cheapo stuff that won't last long. I'd look for IKEA, they give you  25 years warranty on the kitchen furniture.

Yes, I meant Roller . Sorry.

What about Otto, POCO, OBI ? In fact, POCO called me to discuss the kitchen plan after I registered in Kauferportal (something like that) and said I can choose the E-gerate which I wanted. Should I proceed?:unsure:

14 minutes ago, pinksamaras said:

In fact, POCO called me to discuss the kitchen plan after I registered in Kauferportal (something like that) and said I can choose the E-gerate which I wanted. Should I proceed?:unsure:

POCO is cheap, and might just about fit your price range. Having said that, the quality of their kitchens reflects their prices.

It really depends upon what you want to end up with - if it is a cheap, usable kitchen ASAP, then go for POCO; if you actualyl want a quality kitchen that will last, then make do with the bare minimum to start with and spend your time planning and working towards having the kitchen you actually want to live with!