Minimum travel distance by taxi

20 posts in this topic

Hello,

Last week, my girlfriend and I arrived at train station from the airport around 5 in the morning, There were no buses, it was raining and we had luggages to carry. Our home is around 1 km from the train station. Since my girlfriend had a surgery, walking was not an option to our destination even though it is close.

So we took the taxi and I told the address (the following conversation was held in German). The taxi driver said: "Is this a joke?" "It is 100 m away." I told him that it is the end of the street and around 1 km. He said: "I know where this address is."

He was driving quite furiously since he was not happy with the destination and meant that we are fooling him. I told him to stop if he does not want to drive us, but he would not listen. I asked him his taxi organization that he is working with, but he said that it is his private taxi. I told him that this would be the last thing I would have expected in Germany and he is not behaving nice, since there is a minimal fare of 3 € at the beginning for these kind of things.

Anyway, we arrived at our destination and he said "don't do it again!" We were quite tired to argue back and I was only able to say "What else could we do? You tell us not to use a taxi, it is raining and there are no buses, what do you suggest?" He repeated "not to use the taxi" again. He was like enraged when I asked the cost. I paid 5 euros and he left.

TL;DR: Is there a minimum KM in Germany for using a taxi? What to do in case the taxi driver does not want to drive or behave like this? Is there a place where I can complain "private taxi drivers" so that they get warned or something?

Thank you,

Nope. Fuck that guy. He is required to take you to your requested destination, even if it's 100 meters away.

You can file a complaint with your local "Taxi-Innung", but I have no idea what the consequences might be. Did you write down his cab number and/or license plate?

Of course, there's always the chance that he was lying and actually does work for someone else, too.

1. There is no minimum distance, there is minimum fare.

2. Maybe you can complain, but there will be no consequences: the taxi driver did the job, you have no case.

Was it in Berlin? Because in smaller towns 1 km is a typical travel distance to/from railway station/airport.

Anyway, you mistake was to talk with the driver. The German word to use to this kind of people is "Ja ja". It is a polite way of saying "kiss my ass and do your job".

Do not enter any discussions, this is not internet, this is just a taxi.

56 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Nope. Fuck that guy. He is required to take you to your requested destination, even if it's 100 meters away.

You can file a complaint with your local "Taxi-Innung", but I have no idea what the consequences might be. Did you write down his cab number and/or license plate?

Of course, there's always the chance that he was lying and actually does work for someone else, too.

Yes, I've written down the licence plate and I know what he and his car look like, but the thing is he also knows where I live. That kind of guy may even come to annoy me or even threaten me. That's why I am a bit sceptical about complaining.

24 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

1. There is no minimum distance, there is minimum fare.

2. Maybe you can complain, but there will be no consequences: the taxi driver did the job, you have no case.

Was it in Berlin? Because in smaller towns 1 km is a typical travel distance to/from railway station/airport.

Anyway, you mistake was to talk with the driver. The German word to use to this kind of people is "Ja ja". It is a polite way of saying "kiss my ass and do your job".

Do not enter any discussions, this is not internet, this is just a taxi.

No it is not in Berlin, a small city somewhere close to Mannheim in which the maximum distance would be around 3 km :). It was just straight ahead and the longest street of the city, maybe he did not like the road.

Probably you are right. I should not have spoken back, but you never know what kind of maniac he could be. He does not know who I am, maybe I was a maniac as well, but probably he took the risk since he was so aggressive.

Do you know if there are some regulations that the taxi drivers should follow? Like clean car, no smoking, no loud music etc.?

Somewhere in the back of my brain I seem to remember an episode of Holt hat Recht and he stated the minimum distance is 500m. fwiw.

5 minutes ago, wakeup12 said:

Yes, I've written down the licence plate and I know what he and his car look like,

And? Will you feel better if you complain to someone? Then do it. Nobody will actually care. 

You didn't have to walk through the rain, now get over it.

You can understand why a train station taxi driver wasn't enthusiastic. He was hoping for a 15km fair, and a 1km fair after waiting 1 hour and then losing his place in the queue is unattractive. You could have negotiated a fixed price with him to compensate for losing place in queue. Or of course if he didn't want the fare asked the person at the back of the queue.

It was 5am, and maybe the taxi driver was coming to end of his shift. These short trips are never popular with taxi drivers, !

Just forget it- you got home safe and  dry?

I always ask the taxi if they don't mind taking me a short distance before getting in the vehicle when that is necessary. Never been refused and then everyone is clear. 

I normally choose to pay a minimum of 10 Euro irrespective of the meter for these short trips. Everyone seems to be happy. I get the trip I needed and the taxi driver gets a fair amount for a short trip. 

1 hour ago, someonesdaughter said:

And? Will you feel better if you complain to someone? Then do it. Nobody will actually care. 

You didn't have to walk through the rain, now get over it.

I would definitely feel better, not only because it was done to me, but also for the next possible passengers. I did not sleep well because of the argument. I do not know why you think I am guilty here :). Just imagine you want a small cup of coke and the waitress tells you "Are you kidding me? Do you want me to walk all the way to the kitchen and bring you a small coke?" and then put the cup of coke on the table loud. I will not complain as I do not know his mental status. Maybe he also had a bad day? Who knows?

27 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

It was 5am, and maybe the taxi driver was coming to end of his shift. These short trips are never popular with taxi drivers, !

Just forget it- you got home safe and  dry?

Yes, but if I were the taxi driver, I do not think if this would give me the right to shout at the people who pays my wage. Anyway, getting home safe and dry was the full half of the glass :).

Thanks for all the comments, though.

Just now, jono said:

I always ask the taxi if they don't mind taking me a short distance before getting in the vehicle when that is necessary. Never been refused and then everyone is clear. 

I normally choose to pay a minimum of 10 Euro irrespective of the meter for these short trips. Everyone seems to be happy. I get the trip I needed and the taxi driver gets a fair amount for a short trip. 

I think this is what I had to do. My first idea was to tell him to make another tour around my street, but it was too early and never came to my mind. Maybe I would give him a tip if he did not behave like this. Anyway, I will keep this in mind! Thanks!

16 minutes ago, wakeup12 said:

Just imagine you want a small cup of coke and the waitress tells you "Are you kidding me? Do you want me to walk all the way to the kitchen and bring you a small coke?" [..]

dnk.jpg.2de7e6158884fcb06d4e9b1ec7ba225b

1 hour ago, wakeup12 said:

I would definitely feel better,

Then complain. As I wrote: nobody will care about that nothingness anyway. Cab drivers are, well, kind of a special breed all over the world, be it NY, Istanbul or a small town near Mannheim. Who cares.

I did not sleep well because of the argument.

That's a joke, isn't it?

I do not know why you think I am guilty here :).

"Guilty"? I don't remember using that word. I think you make a mountain out of  a molehill, that's all.

Well, in Mallorca  expats who don't know what to do or didn't learn a trade, become a real estate agent or they open a bar.

2 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

You can understand why a train station taxi driver wasn't enthusiastic. He was hoping for a 15km fair, and a 1km fair after waiting 1 hour and then losing his place in the queue is unattractive. You could have negotiated a fixed price with him to compensate for losing place in queue. Or of course if he didn't want the fare asked the person at the back of the queue.

Normally I would argue that this is exactly what happened. And it's understandable. But as it happened in a small city at 5am I doubt there was much of a taxi queue. Guy just sounds a bit of a dick. I have had this happen to me twice in Munich with short distances in the early hours. Taxi driver simply refused the fair. Said to take the tram. Neither of them were at the main station or anything.

3 hours ago, jono said:

Exactly. Sometimes I'm too drunk to walk after spilling off a train.

"Can you take me 400m home and then just push me out of your car? Outside my door? Here's €10."

"Ok."

It's not rocket science, but I do think it's mutual understanding of each others position.

I could understand him being angry. But I would have just ask for a fixed rate just because yes it was raining and because your partner couldn't walk that far. I'd gladly pay 15 - 20 euro's for the service and convenience.

On 8/3/2017, 1:55:59, MadAxeMurderer said:

You can understand why a train station taxi driver wasn't enthusiastic. He was hoping for a 15km fair, and a 1km fair after waiting 1 hour and then losing his place in the queue is unattractive. You could have negotiated a fixed price with him to compensate for losing place in queue. ...

On 8/3/2017, 2:19:38, jono said:

I also live pretty close to the train station, probably 1 km or less as you do and I tell them as I get in, it's only around the corner, but I will give them €10. I usually only do this if I'm terribly exhausted, having many bags to carry, etc. and most often than not, alone traveling with my kid. But yeah, they wait a long time in the queue.