Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Taxes=X? for married couples in Frankfurt

3 posts in this topic

Dear members,

Me and my wife are trying to figure out exactly how much we'll be paying in taxes after we move to Frankfurt (Hesse region?). What's the difference in choosing different Busdesländer?

Initially we paid a great deal of attention to the tax brackets:

Single
Married
Tax
Tax Base (in EUR)
Tax
Tax Base (in EUR)
0 %
up to 7 664
0 %
up to 15 329
15 %
7 665- 52 153
15 %
15 330 - 104 304
42 %
52 154 - 250 000
42 %
104 305 - 500 000
45 %
250 001 and over
45 %
500 001 and over

But I've read in the wiki page that an increase in gross income can Never result in a lower net. 

So hypothetically if her income is 100.000/year and mine is zero how much would we pay in taxes? I tried several online calculators and all suggest a total of 55.000 net income at the end of the year for class 1 (single) and 64.000 for class 3. We thought the difference in filling them together would be bigger.

What's the actual benefit for her if she files her taxes by herself or together with me? Numbers please.

Thank you for your time.

I don't quite understand your question - you have already found several online calculators and your numbers seem to make sense. What more numbers do you want? Are you hoping somebody is going to tell you the online calculators are all wrong and in truth taxes are much lower?

35 minutes ago, CesarV said:

Me and my wife are trying to figure out exactly how much we'll be paying in taxes after we move to Frankfurt (Hesse region?).

If you earn nothing, you don't pay taxes at all.

I tried several online calculators and all suggest a total of ... 64.000 for class 3. 

Since you are married it will be tax class 3, not 1. 1 is for singles. 

64.000 is not the taxes she pays but your wifes net income – after tax and social contributions.

What's the difference in choosing different Busdesländer?

As long as there is no church tax to pay: None. In most states church tax is 9%, in Bavaria and Baden-Wurttemberg it's 8%.

What's the actual benefit for her if she files her taxes by herself or together with me?

Either she files of herself and you file for yourself or you file together. In most cases filing together is better, in some (rare) cases it's not. In your case it is. This shows you both outcomes.