Current state of Postident with foreign passports (2017)

38 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, DuongPham said:

I have the exact same problem!!!

I'm from Vietnam and trying to open a N26 bank account. I've called N26 to ask if there's any other way to identify myself and they just said no and apologized. 

I've also read a post on reddit where a person was going through the same thing, used to be able to do postident but, due to the new system, couldn't anymore, and he/she found the solution to go to a branch of deutche post where they still use the old manual entry method for postident.

This is quite impossible for me because I live in Berlin and if the post wanted to upgrade their system, here would probably one of the first place they'd do it.

This really sucks! as stated before, even registering a sim card requires postident now, imagine the hassle an asian moving to Germany for the first time have to deal with just to get a bank or a phone number.

Two weeks ago, I bought a new ALDI Sim Card (Since they have the most cheapest 5.5GB data for 14.99EUR) and I was surprised that I could identify myself via WebID by using just only my Blue Card without my passport!!! I'm from Asian too.

I'm not sure whether it depends on service provider or something else!

I'm honestly considering starting some sort of legal action... it's effectively discrimination by nationality :angry:

14 minutes ago, dampstew said:

I'm honestly considering starting some sort of legal action... it's effectively discrimination by nationality :angry:

If you do, please keep us updated.

I think Deutsche Post could've easily solve this by letting the customer use the old way of inputting data for PostIdent in case their passport cannot be scanned.

Techgirl alluded to this: Does you passport have the chip logo (the symbol below "America")?  If not, this may be why you're getting boned.

passport_chip.jpg.8e63ebad0e1672592b13c3

On 9/16/2017, 11:02:52, CincyInDE said:

Techgirl alluded to this: Does you passport have the chip logo (the symbol below "America")?  If not, this may be why you're getting boned.

passport_chip.jpg.8e63ebad0e1672592b13c3

Why would any private company need to (even be allowed to) read the biometric chip on the passport? 

Why wouldn't they be allowed to use it. There is an android app on the play-store which will read them, it's not like there is anything on the chip that isn't also on the document in human readable form.

The point is to be able to check the document is valid by comparing the e-tag to the printed details.

I and my wife are both Chinese nationals. My passport is old and does not have a chip, PostIdent didn't work for me. My wife's passport has chip inside and it worked for her case. So I think the new PostIdent tech at Deutsche Post does not work for passport without chip...

Did you approach the Deutsche Post for help?  I don't think that Its about the rules as some people are saying but in reality, the machines that read the passport are unable to read the information as its supposed to be, especially the issuing authority (of the passport)  is not accessible in many passports. 

This post-ident issue is affecting many across Germany. Identity check through video services (not our choice) are alternative but most of them are not accepting foreign passport.

What annoys me is that the so called "electronic residence permit (eAT)" is not accepted by Deutsche post even though it is listed as valid identity document on their website. What is then the purpose of this electronic permit in card form compared to sticker form in past when it can't replace our passport for identity check? and this despite the fact that eAT contains all the information from passport.

We foreigners can just hope that Deutsche post and the government comes up with some solution soon. For anyone interested in reading Deutsche Post comments on this issue, here is their FB post on this issue:

https://www.facebook.com/deutschepost/posts/1805883209423283

Hi folks, sorry to bring this topic back up. I am stationed by my (U.S.) employer in Frankfurt but due to family illness I am back in the States until December. My roommate back in Frankfurt told me I received a new Payback Visa card which requires me to do a PostIdent to activate (and forwarded me the whole envelope). I'm reading about challenges with Post-Ident using passports (I obviously don't have a Personalausweis). My U.S. passport is an e-passport (so has a chip) issued back in the U.S.  Have a few questions:

1. What is the current state of PostIdent at a major city (such as Frankfurt am Main)? I would hope they are more foreigner-friendly (mein Deutsch ist ein bisschen schlecht!) and will not turn away foreign passports? Would they require any other paperwork and do they ask all kinds of questions? Or should I try smaller suburbs (like Wiesbaden, etc)? I am open to trying in any cities/towns.

2. Not directly related to PostIdent but since this is a Finance-theme forum, anyone here have experience with activating your Payback Visa (issued by BW Bank)? I have a PostIdent form from them and wonder if they would be able to convert it to a VideoIdent? (Just a data point, I have successfully done a VideoIdent with IDNow for my N26 account a couple of yrs ago - using the same U.S. passport, and I understand IDNow is different than DeutschePost).

3. Assuming #1 is good, can I do the PostIdent pretty much anytime (when I'm back in Frankfurt later this year) or does the Payback Visa expire if I don't activate it right away? (I understand the card has an annual fee which I'm responsible for regardless of whether I activate it - I think?)

Vielen Dank!

Jim

are you aware you can do the postident (the real deal with Deutsche Post) via video chat as well?

as far as I remember this is the service I used it to open a bank account and they did offer english as an option for the session.

https://www.deutschepost.de/en/p/postident/identifizierungsverfahren/verfahren-videochat.html

to find out if the card will expire if you don't activate it right away, you should really call the bank who issued the card.

@JimboTee Unless something has changed in the last two years, post ident via video is not available for foreign passports. The post ident coupon usually expires after some weeks.

From my experience you want to avoid smaller stores as sometimes they don’t know what to do. Go to ones that are central. They would have dealt with foreign passports and English is usually not a problem.

I checked my records and I most certainly did complete a postident via video for my ING account using nothing more than my US passport at the end of 2016.

maybe something changed between then and 2017, but honestly I can't grasp why deutsche post would go to the trouble of creating both a written overview and a video of the procedure in English if they only accept German passports. I think OP should just try it then let us know what happens.

if you have the "right" kind of Aufenthaltstitel with eID function, according to this FAQ document, it might work via the VideoChat.

Even "certain foreign passports" may work. Give it a try, and post your results, please :)

https://www.deutschepost.de/de/p/postident/faq.html

POSTIDENT durch Online-Ausweisfunktion:

Als zulässiges Ausweisdokument für die Teilnahme am Identifizierungsverfahren durch den neuen Personalausweis gelten nur der neue Personalausweis mit freigeschalteter eID-Funktion sowie ein deutscher elektronischer Aufenthaltstitel mit freigeschalteter eID-Funktion, der als Ausweisersatz gekennzeichnet ist. Beim elektronischen Aufenthaltstitel muss das Ausstellungsdatum jedoch nach dem 01.03.2013 liegen, da die älteren Dokumente aufgrund eines Produktionsfehlers nicht alle Pflichtangaben enthalten. Bei der Identifikation über Desktop sind ein ausweisfähiges Kartenlesegerät und die AusweisApp2 erforderlich. Bei der Legitimation über Android-Smartphone (mit aktiviertem NFC) wird die POSTIDENT App benötigt. In beiden Fällen – über Desktop oder Smartphone – muss die Online-Ausweisfunktion aktiviert und die persönliche 6-stellige PIN (Erhalt beim Bürgeramt) bekannt sein.
Weitere Informationen zur Online-Ausweisfunktion des neuen Personalausweises finden Sie hier.

POSTIDENT durch Videochat:

Als zulässige Ausweisdokumente gelten gültige deutsche Personalausweise, ausländische, dem deutschen Personalausweis entsprechende, amtliche Identitätskarten sowie Reisepässe, soweit diese Dokumente optische (holografische) Sicherheitsmerkmale und ein Lichtbild enthalten und von der Deutschen Post für die Identifizierung akzeptiert werden. Bitte haben Sie Verständnis, dass aufgrund der Anforderungen an Sicherheitsmerkmale der Dokumente nicht alle verfügbaren Ausweisdokumente unterstützt werden können. Bei Fragen von Privatkunden zum Vorgehen zur Identifikation mit nicht unterstützen Ausweisdokumenten wird der Privatkunde an den Auftraggeber verwiesen.

Auf einem zulässigen Ausweisdokument müssen die Angaben zu den auf dem POSTIDENT Formular vorgesehenen Pflichtfeldern vorhanden sein und für den Erfüllungsgehilfen der Deutschen Post lesbar (also mindestens in lateinischen Buchstaben und arabischen Ziffern) und entzifferbar sein.

Many thanks everyone!

11 hours ago, lisa13 said:

are you aware you can do the postident (the real deal with Deutsche Post) via video chat as well?

as far as I remember this is the service I used it to open a bank account and they did offer english as an option for the session.

https://www.deutschepost.de/en/p/postident/identifizierungsverfahren/verfahren-videochat.html

Lisa, I would love to switch to Video Chat but I'm not sure if the coupon allows me to do this. I did my best to translate each and every word and look for it - see attached photo of the coupon - maybe your Deutsch is better than mine. I wonder if the Bank needs to be the one that initiates the PostIdent using video instead of showing up in person at the Post Office. I looked through the DeutschePost website above a few times and couldn't figure out how to start a PostIdent Video Chat, it seems more of an informational article on how an institution (like a bank) can use the PostIdent Video Chat service. Am I missing something?

2 hours ago, dampstew said:

@JimboTee Unless something has changed in the last two years, post ident via video is not available for foreign passports. The post ident coupon usually expires after some weeks.

From my experience you want to avoid smaller stores as sometimes they don’t know what to do. Go to ones that are central. They would have dealt with foreign passports and English is usually not a problem.

Thanks dampstew; I know it wasn't exactly PostIdent but IDNow was able to ID my US e-passport about 2 yrs ago for opening my N26 account (about the same time Lisa tried hers, I guess) and it was no problem. Thanks for the tip on trying the big post office, I'll try the one in Frankfurt. Do you know when these coupons normally expire? I don't see it written anywhere below (and there are no dates on the coupon to begin with).

Und Karin, thanks for the "POSTIDENT durch Videochat" snippet, it sounds like U.S. e-passport should qualify.

I guess I'm willing to try VideoChat if it works - just need to figure out if I could find this portal and type in some reference numbers from my coupon and get it going.

Vielen Dank!

JIm

P.S.: Looks like I couldn't attach a picture of my coupon, so I linked it on my Google Drive instead - hope I'm not breaking any rules here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rpULs-Fy1ICELbxVxPhbfOGH0xVNUMDB

ok so I checked my email history and both banks where I used postident did send me a link to launch the video ident process in addition to sending a coupon if I wanted to do it in person.  I can't find any portal where you can enter as a third party customer so maybe link is something that has to be provided by the financial institution (one of mine did include a special vorgangsnummer in the link that I didn't find anywhere else on the letter), and you're SOL if they don't give it to you?  It appears that way as I couldn't find a generic portal for it, either. 

I also didn't see anything on your letter that would fill in any blanks.  So unless you received a second letter (my banks always sent loads of stuff in separate mailings, which is fairly unhelpful) or email I don't know what you can do aside from going to the PO or calling the bank.

sorry :(

Thanks everyone for your response and feedback!

Payback did send me another letter 2 weeks ago reminding me to do PostIdent to activate my Visa card.

So upon email conversation with the Payback Visa folks at B-W Bank, they said they only offer PostIdent via a physical Deutsche Post office (and not via remote/video). So lisa13 is correct that physical PostIdent vs VideoIdent is entirely at the discretion of the financial institution.

When asked what to do now (that I'm away from Germany due to family issue), they said I'm welcome to submit a new application, throw away the (unactivated) Visa card I have in my possession. That's at least how I interpreted the following message (and if your Deutsch is better than mine and see it differently, please let me know):

Wir bieten hier nur die Legitimation bei der Deutschen Post AG an. Gern können Sie einen neuen Antrag einreichen wenn Sie wieder in Deutschland sind. Die Ihnen vorliegenden Unterlagen können Sie vernichten. Es muss hier ein neuer Kartenantrag gestellt werden.

If that's the case, then ohwell. I should look into cards that entertain VideoIdent (since even when I'm in Germany I can't guarantee I always have time to run by the Post Office). I think DKB and AmEx does VideoIdent?

Thanks again!

Jim

All the online and big banks do videoident from what I can tell - dkb, comdirekt and ing do without doubt. 

But I think that you usually need to have a giro account with them. Standalone credit cards aren't as common here. Check24 let's you search for cards that don't require a giro so I'd start there.