Current state of Postident with foreign passports (2017)

38 posts in this topic

So it used to be possible to perform Postident successfully with a foreign, non-EU passport in Hamburg (if you went to bigger branches), but since around summer 2017 "The system changed" and they won't accept it anymore. They will happily do it with the Aufenthaltstitel, but the banks then reject it, telling me that for legal reasons it MUST be done by a Passport. And the post office won't do it with a passport, so we are screwed.  Is there anyway to workaround this?  

Also, obligatory stupid f&!@*!ing postident! Rant.

5 hours ago, dampstew said:

we tried Video-Ident but was told it can only be used by German nationals.

What a load of twaddle!!!

But anyway, after about ten seconds of searching for information, obviously the best option for the OP to open an account/do whatever s/he is trying to do, is to go into the place he actually requires the ID for and do it there, in person, with his/her passport!

Since the start of July this year, even register a sim card, you need to go through the whole ID procedure - this can be done by postident, video, or in store - even at your local discounter!!!

@robinson100 well not everything has a "place". Like direct banking. It's not impossible to survive without Postident but for example practically you pay 5 EUR/mo for a Girokonto just because the Postident doesn't work.

You should have perhaps invested the same amount of time you spent for searching, into thinking, too (just banter bro!)

It's "sis", actually!

Okay, so you do not have a place as such, but surely, you can contact "them" and put your question to "them"? surely "they" will be able to help you further than total strangers, who don't even know what it is that you actually want to do?!

Sis @robinson100, yes I called the bank many times and asked them, upon which they told me there is sadly no way. I tried to call the post office, too, but they claim not to know. If you ever had to use Postident with a foreign passport you will know it doesn't operate through logic. Even before summer 2017 one needed to try different post branches because it works in some branches but not in all branches, and the employees will just give random answers depending on who you ask.

I'm looking for totally strange, fellow foreign passport postident users, because this shit is like cheat code in a game. In our local community we exchange like particular branches that work. That branch is now dead and others, too.

Thanks for answering but why bother if you just want to take a swipe at people? 

Just now, robinson100 said:

@ dampstew - I have a non-German passport, and never had a problem!

OK maybe yours is EU? Mine is east Asian so maybe that's why. @robinson100 Also until summer 2017 it did work. But they claim "the system has changed".

Yes, the system has changed - a lot changed at the start of July, ans it seems that you have been caught by it. apparently, it is all a part of the increased security measures that Germany has introduced.

just for the record, I never "swiped" at you

it seems that you will have to pay €5/month if even "they" cannot help you - or take the legal route, assuming that you have legal insurance to cover it.

I'm honestly considering taking legal action, because it's effectively discriminating us based of nationality. It used to be just annoying, but now it's really unfair. I'm still hoping there's some sort of remote city that still works, or something.

just for the record, I never "swiped" at you

Just curious @robinson100, is this a Toytown Germany thing, or a German thing, that people mix a few "unfriendly" sentences? If you look at this thread first guy goes "Why are you doing X (are you stupid?)", and then you come along and go "after about ten seconds of searching". Where I'm used to, we just don't mix that sort of thing unless a person is being a dick. I'm really just curious because if it's some sort of German culture thing, I shall have to get used to it.

Okay,

my final post on this thread, since I only came here with the intention of trying to help you.

Replying to a thread on TT is very much like trying to do a puzzle. Most of the time you have all of the pieces, and the solution is quite simple.

then there are other threads, such as this one, where you discover, piece by piece, that you did not have everything you required at the outset to be able to solve the puzzle.

for instance, that you cannot visit a branch of the bank(?) in question, might have been appropriate, and saved my initial reply.

The fact that you do not have a european passport is also relevant, since on your profile you have given your nationality as UK, which once again makes a difference.

who knows what else we do not know?

A sarcastic reply to me will make absolutely no difference to the fact that this is your problem, and not mine - I don't even have to show an interest in it!

And my absolute, final comment to you - if you cannot open an account with this institute, then why not go to another one, where you can go in person and open an account?

Sure @robinson100, you make good points but it seems to me that one can achieve the same outcome without making somebody feel ever so slightly crappy. Why not be nice and make somebody feel better instead?

Postident with a foreign passport is a well treaded theme (at least for non-EU nationals), which is why I phrased the title that way, because I assumed people will understand what I'm going for.

Anyways,

And my absolute, final comment to you - if you cannot open an account with this institute, then why not go to another one, where you can go in person and open an account?

The thing is institutions that don't have physical branches happens to be the ones that are cheaper and better (to my knowledge, all Girokonto with a physical location incurs a monthly fee) - Comdirect, N26, DKB you name it. So yes we can survive without having to use Postident, but it restricts our choices severely. If you want something more than a Girokonto, like a Depot, the difference is large. A platform fee of 0.X% can come to hundreds of thousands in the long run.

On 7/29/2017, 11:43:29, dampstew said:

So it used to be possible to perform Postident successfully with a foreign, non-EU passport in Hamburg (if you went to bigger branches), but since around summer 2017 "The system changed" and they won't accept it anymore. They will happily do it with the Aufenthaltstitel,

Is it not possible for all non-eu passports or did they give a specific reason why it is not possible with your passport? For example, a Spanish colleague had problems with

postident since there was no place of birth in his passport.

18 minutes ago, dampstew said:

The thing is institutions that don't have physical branches happens to be the ones that are cheaper and better (to my knowledge, all Girokonto with a physical location incurs a monthly fee)

AFAIK Commerzbank has a free Girokonto if you have a minimum monthly influx.

If you work for a bigger company it might also be worth it to check if you get better conditions on bank accounts through your company's corporate benefit program (if available).

Ah thank you, this is very helpful @vronchen.

Is it not possible for all non-eu passports or did they give a specific reason why it is not possible with your passport? For example, a Spanish colleague had problems with

postident since there was no place of birth in his passport.

It used to be case that they give out particular reasons (although these differed from branch to branch, and sometimes you got through), but they claim now they have this new "scanner", and as long as this new "scanner" doesn't accept the document, it's over. No reason given - they just say, sorry can't do. We tried a few branches, even ones that used to work, but they consistently say "doesn't scan, sorry but no way to do it".

Oh, and you may ask your bank if you can do the identification with a Notar.

Sounds promising... I will try this.

1 hour ago, dampstew said:

The thing is institutions that don't have physical branches happens to be the ones that are cheaper and better (to my knowledge, all Girokonto with a physical location incurs a monthly fee)

Sparda Bank doesn't have a monthly fee as long as you pick up the bank statements yourself, they only require you to buy 50€ of "Genossenschaftsanteile" (cooperative shares) when you open an account which is refunded should you chose to close the account.

Hallo Uncle Nick! As from 1st October the Sparda Bank charges a monthly fee of €3.90 for a normal Girokonto (called GIROKONTO PLUS in future) and you are only allowed to pick up two bank statements per month, every additional statement costs €0.50. If you have an additional account, i.e. ANDERES GIROKONTO, you pay €11.90 per month plus €0.50 for each bank statement for more than two per month. Regards JohnG (the original JohnG, not the one now living in Greece:rolleyes:)

I have the exact same problem!!!

I'm from Vietnam and trying to open a N26 bank account. I've called N26 to ask if there's any other way to identify myself and they just said no and apologized. 

I've also read a post on reddit where a person was going through the same thing, used to be able to do postident but, due to the new system, couldn't anymore, and he/she found the solution to go to a branch of deutche post where they still use the old manual entry method for postident.

This is quite impossible for me because I live in Berlin and if the post wanted to upgrade their system, here would probably one of the first place they'd do it.

This really sucks! as stated before, even registering a sim card requires postident now, imagine the hassle an asian moving to Germany for the first time have to deal with just to get a bank or a phone number.

I think it depends on the passport. I have a non-EU passport and used PostIdent at a DeutschePost kiosk/shop in the local mall just a couple weeks ago -- I was opening an Ing-DiBa account. Not a hitch. My US passport was issued in 2015 and has a chip in it -- That may be the difference.